any Deaf riders?

I wll be happy to answer any questions you have! PM me for my email, etc.

Deaf Equestrians

[QUOTE=Lima Bean;6169805]
I wll be happy to answer any questions you have! PM me for my email, etc.[/QUOTE]

I’m am so glad you answered! Well our project is to research a Deaf or hard of hearing person so we can present in sign who they are, thier background, and about significant events in their life.
I was so excited about this project, because I ride and show my horse and I am so curious about Deaf riders.

My email address is: jstevens19@phm.k12.in.us

Thank you so much!

Sent you an email :slight_smile:

Welcome to COTH Lima.

I was sitting here this morning trying to figure out why you seemed “familiar” and I put it together. I recognize some of your writing from Niki. I was from the barn Raven came from (her aunt, etc).

Thanks for posting your blog. :slight_smile:

I have a Deaf friend that rides, and know there’s another at my school who’s just starting out. I met them both through my college equestrian team (RIT/NTID, National Technical Institute for the Deaf). My friend has been riding for years and has a horse back home. In her lessons there’s a lot of writing, combined with gestures/poses and lip-reading. If you’re still looking for someone I can give her your email.

[QUOTE=starrunner;6173304]
Welcome to COTH Lima.

I was sitting here this morning trying to figure out why you seemed “familiar” and I put it together. I recognize some of your writing from Niki. I was from the barn Raven came from (her aunt, etc).

Thanks for posting your blog. :)[/QUOTE]

Did she share my writing? That is cool if so–she was a wonderful woman. So nice to meet some of her connections through here!!!

Not Deaf but have CAPD and on my classification card I have the right to an ASL fingerspelling caller and/or a FM. I can’t sign due to cerebral palsy but can fingerspell and use International Deafblind sign(useless when riding)

Helmet suggestions for CI?

My 4 year old son wears a CI (bilaterally implanted) and is expressing more interest in “real” riding. We are having trouble with the coils slipping off as he trots on his very bouncy, but saintly pony. I have tried a sweat band, as suggested for bike helmets, but it ends up over his eyes and the coils still slip off! I am a trainer mom, so signing while lunging the pony is impossible as well… Any ideas for keeping the magnets in place? He is currently starting to post, and can tell the pony to trot and whoa verbally, as well as my favorite, “Go, go, go!” Such a boy, all about faster and death defying :wink: He will ride with no hands to keep his “ears” on, but this scares me!!! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

A Deaf friend of mine events and hunts and has bilateral CIs. I passed along your question. Here is her reply:

I dont wear them when I ride because it keeps slipping and it doesnt always stay in place. even with bigger helmet to hold both CI magnets. I gave up because it was distracting and hindrance to my riding abilty. All i could recommened for this little boy to keep one eye on his instructor and one eye to look where he going all the time. he is only 4 years old. let him figure out the understanding of cause and effect of his actions toward his pony so he doesnt repeat it even he was told not to.

stoneypony - you have a PM

Teaching riding and other equine assisted activities to the deaf and hard of hearing.

I work for a equine assisted therapy center and would like to develop a program for people, mostly children, with hearing loss or deafness. Any suggestions as to someone I could communicate with to learn more about the benefits and some of the must haves to develop this type of program. All suggestions welcomed!

One of my close horsey friends is deaf, as is her partner. She’s (slowly) teaching me to sign, but she’s pretty darn good at reading lips too. She does a bit of everything riding-wise, and used to be an exercise rider at a TB track on the mainland.
For trail/road riding (we have to ride on some quiet back roads to get to the trail head near here) she has a reflective vest that says “You’re Blind, I’m Deaf, He’s Crazy” with a downward arrow (her gelding is…special…young Westporte baby), it’s great, and people definitely take notice!
She rode with Sandra Verda for years, and Sandra would teach her lessons via sign. I’ve heard she’s very happy to talk to people about the way she runs her therapeutic stuff, so I’m sure if anyone interested in catering their program to deaf/hard of hearing riders, you could ask her? http://www.fit2ride.ca/Default.aspx

The one thing that drives me batty is that a LOT of people talk about her, when she’s in the room. She’s completely deaf, cochlear implants didn’t work for her so she grew up without. I’m hearing, and her and I can be having a conversation, and then people right next to us can be going on about how she shouldn’t be allowed to work with horses/shouldn’t be allowed to drive/should give her horse away (though she recognizes he’s a bit much for her and is trying to sell him so she can get a less reactive mount)/etc. Very few people take the extra half a second to pay attention when she’s talking and understand what she’s saying (she’s very easy to understand, even if you don’t sign, and if there’s ever any confusion, she whips out her phone and types it), and I find myself expected to act as interpreter. She doesn’t let it bother her, but for me, as her friend, it really sucks!

Reach out to the local Deaf community. They will know best.

Here’s one place to start. http://www.ccdhh.org/

[QUOTE=spgiddings;7081797]
I work for a equine assisted therapy center and would like to develop a program for people, mostly children, with hearing loss or deafness. Any suggestions as to someone I could communicate with to learn more about the benefits and some of the must haves to develop this type of program. All suggestions welcomed![/QUOTE]

This sounds like a great opportunity for a partnership, with a school for the deaf, or a school district, or a community organization that serves or has members who are deaf. I think someone else suggested networking with the deaf community - that would probably be a GREAT place to start. With my “big picture hat” on, I"d say, start with a needs assessment, do a bunch of interviews with stakeholders (potential participants, families of participants, other providers in your area) and see what your community needs and can support. The answers may surprise you – it may not be a therapeutic riding program, but maybe something more like adaptive sport or simply interpretation services so people can ride with a trainer of their choice.

I’m hearing impaired but not deaf. I do read lips.

[QUOTE=irkenequine;5895244]
I dunno why I’ve never bothered asking this question before; I am hearing but a part of the Deaf community through a SO and have often been riding with Deaf friends; but I’ve never known another Deaf boarder or lesson student. Anyone here a Deaf equestrian?[/QUOTE]

I was a deaf equestrian myself

who is she??? I used to ride in Rochester with Jack Frohm in '80 and I am deaf myself I traveled all over and was considered one of the top junior and A/O riders in this country