Unlimited access >

Any idea what color this horse is?

[QUOTE=HungarianHippo;7298615]
My horses have different shades summer vs winter, Sorry if you’re looking for an exotic color, but that horse is just a normal ol’ bay. Enjoy the variety, even “common” colors are beautiful.[/QUOTE]

I’m not lookingfor anything special,no worries, I love this horse! I have just been told by someone who studies horse genetics and color told me she wasn’t just a normal bay & that she had no clue what color this horse is. :slight_smile:
She told me to send some hair in to a university( But I don’t really want to pay to find out)

If your friend studies horse colors and still doesn’t know what color your cute mare is, I wonder how hard she studies.

If you want to be more descriptive you could call her a bright bay or a copper bay as opposed to the bays known as red/blood bay or dark bay (really dark, almost black). It may be that none of those are official registerable colors but they were commonly used in East Texas cowboy country during our time there.

There is a poster on these forums who has a stallion linked in their signature line who I believe they have listed as a buckskin (or maybe it’s black…?), and I remember opening the link to see a horse that looked 100% bay to me!
I don’t understand colour genetics at all, so I’m always ready for someone to tell me the horse is actually some fancy colour, with exotic and unusual black points! :lol:
Your horse is very cute, no matter what colour they are :wink:

I have a mare who’s the same color.

So I’ll say two things:

1. Your mare is a bay.

2. I call mine a “honey bay” since she’s definitely a different color than my other 3 bays.

But to point #2, not all bays are the same. I have a dark bay who stays exactly the same color summer-winter and even the same clipped versus unclipped. I have two medium bays who are a very normal bay color but turn a weird light yellowish/grey clipped. And then, of course, my honey bay.

That chestnut I told you about? Like a lot of his breed he doesn’t have a matching tail, it has white, light chestnut, dark chestnut and black hairs. His pony friend has a reverse skunk tail, matching chestnut on top and snowy white underneath. They’re still a chestnut.

I think the hair thing isn’t too expensive if you really want to know. http://www.horsetesting.com/EquinePricing.htm $25 for cream.