Unlimited access >

Any idea what color this horse is?

Hello All!
I have a solid paint named Hope, and those at my barn, a couple friend, my family, and I cannot decide what color to consider her. Her color ischanging throughout the winter and Summer, bright in the summer and quite dark in the winter. I would love y’alls input on what color you think she is?

Hope in the winter/ Fall-ish time (this was her just 2 days ago before the ice storm hit)

Hope in the Spring/Summer time

I would appreciate any input and I apologize for the not-so-great pics!
Thanks!

bay :wink:

Even though she changes all the time? She has a buckskin mom & grandmother, if that says anything?
I thought she was bay but a lot of people tell me she isn’t.
Someone told me brown buckskin,too:)

The second picture didn’t work for me, but the first is certainly bay.

Bay. No doubt. Second picture doesn’t work, but that’s a bay for sure.

That’s a typical bay.

Let me try to post the second picture again. She is really bright in the 2nd.

I reposted the 2nd picture if you’d like to see that one. She changed a bit in those 2 pics

[QUOTE=Highflyer;7298493]
The second picture didn’t work for me, but the first is certainly bay.[/QUOTE]
I re posted the 2nd if you’d like to look at that. She clearly changes in the 2 picture

Still not working…a bay.

I don’t know why it isn’t working! Darn!!
She’s just a funky colored pony

My horses have different shades summer vs winter, Sorry if you’re looking for an exotic color, but that horse is just a normal ol’ bay. Enjoy the variety, even “common” colors are beautiful.

There’s only one picture… both of your links are the same.

That’s a bay.

The buckskin dam only had a 50% chance of passing on her cream gene, and in this case that didn’t happen. And a buckskin without a cream gene is… a bay.

Photos are the same - but she’s bay. Her coat may darken or lighten depending on feed, work and sun on it to fade it, but she’s still bay.

This horse is a bay of the color that I always imagined as child when reading this passage in The King of Wind:

“And one shall be the color favored by the Prophet…a bay, not a dark bay, but a clear bay–whose coat is touched with gold…”

So I’m calling this horse a clear, golden bay!

Looks like bay and sunburned bay to me :slight_smile:

Same link here too. The only way you are going to get a buckskin out of it is with the dark stripe down the spine or the little hash marks on the forelegs and I don’t see them. FWIW I have a horse that has an extra long coat, before I clip him he’s a dark red chestnut, really a pretty color, and once he’s clipped he’s a brassy bronze color , but still a chestnut.

She looks like a light/golden bay, not buckskin, in her summer coat. It’s normal for horses to be darker (or sometimes lighter) in their winter coat. A random non-horse person saw me with this trace-clipped Welsh pony on the trails, and asked if many horses were born with that pattern!:lol: I also took lessons on a buckskin horse who looked pale, silvery grey in the winter. When he was clipped, the gold showed up again.

With that said, sooty/smutty buckskins can be quite dark. Some of the horses on http://www.morgancolors.com/buckskin.htm are only known to be buckskin rather than bay or brown because they had genetic testing, or their sire was perlino. However, if your mare was sooty buckskin (brown/dark bay based), she’d be much darker in her summer coat.

[QUOTE=ReSomething;7299119]
Same link here too. The only way you are going to get a buckskin out of it is with the dark stripe down the spine or the little hash marks on the forelegs and I don’t see them.[/QUOTE]
You’re confusing Buckskin with Dun. Buckskins can have a countershading stripe, which can look similar to the Dun stripe, but they don’t have tiger stripes on the legs or cobwebbing on the face. http://mudranch.com/2008/08/21/factoring-dun-factor/ has a pretty good explanation of the differences. In Welsh ponies, buckskins are referred to as “dun,” which can be a bit confusing.

[QUOTE=HungarianHippo;7298615]
My horses have different shades summer vs winter, Sorry if you’re looking for an exotic color, but that horse is just a normal ol’ bay. Enjoy the variety, even “common” colors are beautiful.[/QUOTE]

I’m not lookingfor anything special,no worries, I love this horse! I have just been told by someone who studies horse genetics and color told me she wasn’t just a normal bay & that she had no clue what color this horse is. :slight_smile:
She told me to send some hair in to a university( But I don’t really want to pay to find out)