Unlimited access >

Any Interest In A Mule Discussion?

Mochi is an awesome pick, congratulations!

Doesn’t seem to have any pigment anywhere, not even around her eyes?

Bet you can’t wait until quarantine is over.

Thanks for the pictures.

2 Likes

Two weeks is gonna crawl by!!
No pigment, and she also seems to have pink skin. I’ll need to invest in a UV protectant fly mask-and-sheet, for sure. We get a lot of sun here. I’ve never owned a pink skinned equid, so I will need to do see what else I can do to protect her.

And gosh, I hope she likes baths.

2 Likes

Mochi update!

She developed a snotty nose the other day, “right on schedule” as per her QT angel. Started Uniprim and it was knocked out pretty quickly — no sign of snot this morning.

She doesn’t like her stall, but is friendly, quiet, and unbothered by dogs or chickens. She also loves her ears scratched, as seen here.

She seems so lovely. I signed a contract for her to be transported here on Jan 14th, as long as she stays healthy. She will transition to having turn out tomorrow.

2 Likes

She is wonderful! Wishing you a safe, on time trip home, I bet you cannot wait!

1 Like

Looks like she is huggable and pettable.
What else can you ask for? :hugs:

2 Likes

Wow, she is beautiful!! You’re going to have so much fun!!

1 Like

Sorry for spamming…
Found out a bit more about her history today. She has more education than we previously thought. Mochi has been started under saddle, as well as in harness, by a longear trainer who would tune her up for an elderly couple off and on over the past three years. They eventually had to give her up.

She was cared for, so I’m happy that there is a chance I can let them know that she is in a good spot now. :slight_smile: Also, yay she isn’t as close to Square One as I thought!

And here is one from today. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, you are very lucky ratchet!! My girl is trained as a pack mule so I think having a person’s weight shouldn’t be too much of a shock… I hope…

2 Likes

That’s what we thought with her (we had been told that she was a packer, too…seems they got their mules mixed up or something). Packers should also know cool trail stuff, like hobbling and being out in rough terrain…and a living rider is more manageable than dead weight!

I’m happy Mochi had a laid back start in life, for sure.

2 Likes

Well, she is sure is gorgeous so we better get pics of her in saddle. What type of saddle will you be using??

2 Likes

Honestly, no idea. I would like to take her on trails, and also dressage lessons with an aim for open shows and clinics down the road. And who knows what else. Parades? haha. Just fun stuff I never really got to do much as a kid.

I’m thinking an endurance saddle or all purpose…maybe a Duett?? If she is anything like my mom’s mutton withered tank of a mare, finding a saddle is going to blow.

1 Like

Ooooo… the horse and mule anatomy in the scapula is very different. For the comfort you really need a mule saddle not a horse saddle. I’m saving up for a saddle from Queen Valley Mule Ranch, they look great!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve been looking at those! I did recently buy a mule-specific rope halter from them, with the pressure points a little closer to the nose. Wish I lived closer to the QVMR or Jerry Tindall.

That’s not true. I’ve owned 4 different mules over the years. I’ve used purpose-built mule saddles (one from QVMR) and horse saddles. What you need is a saddle that fits the mule, and most mules can be fit perfectly well with horse saddles.

I trailed my mule down to Crest Ridge Saddlery and she tried on 15 different trees until we found the right fit. Then i built my custom saddle up from there. Highly recommend!!..these guys know their mules.

i agree! The big difference is what goes around the saddle! my mule needs a breast collar and breeching! His saddle fits one of my other horses well, and i have another saddle i’ve bought since fitting him, a Sarah Sanders Flextree (really excellent endurance trail saddle…) fits him great. It has drings for all his surrounding attachments. Saddling a mule is like saddling a potato. They kinda don’t have bones…

1 Like

Thanks for the info, guys! I was under the impression that it was mule saddle or nothing! Fitting a potato, that’s a good one!!

Just curious, what type of price are you looking at for custom built? ( Totally understand if you don’t want to answer.)

oh gee…i don’t remember. I think around 2,500 incl breastcollar and breeching… i think. i think i bought the basic model they call The OVation, but i tweeked it, dropping off stuff here, adding stuff there. Here’s a link to the saddle maker i went to. https://www.crestridgesaddlery.com/trail-saddles.html

Nice saddle!!! I am drooling over this one https://www.muleranch.com/product/the-ultralight-saddle/

1 Like