Unlimited access >

Any updated version of "shoulders back"?

I have an old shoulders back brace from at least 10 years ago, I like the idea, but the straps under the arm rub terribly… Is there any new version of this product that might be more comfortable?

I have a bigger chest, so I find myself frequently "giving"with my shoulders, and it causes terrible mid-back pain (think just below the bra strap).

Would love any suggestions!

I don’t know about newer alternative products, but my latest reading (recent thread here and articles elsewhere) is very negative on any products like this. Best case they are just uncomfortable due to rubs or the like, worst case you’re only treating a symptom and may cause other physical issues by forcing a particular body position. Seems that approaching it as a strength and conditioning issue (targeted by exercise) and/or a medical issue best treated by physical therapy is recommended now.

4 Likes

I don’t know about updated shoulders back? We used to own a couple. White and black.

Have you tried wearing it over the top of a shirt rather than underneath? Like a cotton t shirt. That can help prevent rubs from the edges of the elastic bands.

:blush:

I just saw this one on Facebook, but no personal experience: https://equestorian.com/products/equestorian-back-brace

My former trainer used to have me ride in the shoulders back, I wore it over a shirt , which kept it from rubbing.

I agree that planks and other exercises are helpful in fixing posture, but honestly, the shoulders back is helpful too. I found my body got used to riding with the shoulders back and eventually I went from every day to every other day to once a week to never. Pilates for sure has been helpful to my posture, but I think it can be a good tool.

1 Like

I am almost 70 years old and I have MS (with almost no proprioceptive sense.)

I have been with my riding instructor for almost 10 years. She repeatedly told me about my shoulders and she told me she sort of gave up because it looked like I just could not keep my shoulders back, though she usually mentioned it EVERY RIDE.

Then I bought the “Horse Brain, Human Brain” book by Janet L. Jones PhD. In it (page 121) she has a picture of three human muscles that are necessary for good riding. One of these muscles is the teres major muscle “a small muscle at the back of each shoulder just below the armpit” at the BOTTOM of the human shoulder blade. “It opens and steadies your shoulders and upper back as you ride…Isolate your teres major, and you will be able to lift and stabilize your upper back while remaining relaxed.”

I told my riding teacher, showed her where the muscle is, and I started using it while I ride.

My riding teacher now repeatedly PRAISES my back, and she tells me that now I look erect in the saddle.

Today she had me show another of her students where this muscle is and my story about it. The lady tried it and understanding dawned on her face. I told her that I found that using this muscle moves my shoulder blades down and against my back so that my shoulder blades sort of act like a splint that keeps my upper back straight instead of hunched over like I used to be for decades.

And I did not have to pay a single penny for something to wear that really does not straighten my back.

I am not used to hearing my riding teacher praise my back, but she has stopped complaining about me being hunched over and now points me out as an example that it is possible for a little old lady who used to be hunched over to ride a horse with a straight back.

3 Likes

I thought you meant alternative language for the cue itself & was thinking “Thank God, we’re finally retiring that tired old chestnut!!” :rofl:

On a serious note, the cue “Shoulders back!” is outdated & inaccurate. The Shoulders Back device probably works, but to what end? Muscles fire in a specific sequence. If your shoulders are not staying aligned in an anatomically neutral position over your hips & under your head, that’s a sign that something else needs addressed lower down the muscle chain.

Regarding Pilates, because I see it suggested a lot on COTH: I like Pilates & have nothing against it. I do it sometimes. My personal opinion is that it isn’t the best as a primary modality for this type of conditioning. It builds strength, no question there. However, a lot of the problem for the riders I coach is too much strength in certain areas & a lack of muscle coordination across the whole body. Pilates doesn’t do much to address that problem. Something like the GMB fitness program or certain types of yoga work better, ime.

2 Likes

I always struggled a lot to keep my shoulders back. I even bought the Shoulders Back. It was ok, but I hated wearing it. It was uncomfortable, and I felt like it made my body tense while I was riding. It did not help me “train” my shoulders.

Fast forward to decades later when I went to a new-to-me chiropractor for a knee problem. Near the end of my first visit, he said, “Now I want to talk about your posture.” I thought I was going to get the standard lecture about needing to sit up straight, keep my shoulders back, etc. BUT, he said I had muscles that weren’t firing, and this is why my shoulders rounded forward. He used some kind of device near each shoulder blade, and I immediately could keep my shoulders back without WORKING on it. That was six months ago, and I’m still able to keep them back. What a difference this has made in my posture. I wish I’d known this years ago. IDK if this would work for you, but it might be worth considering.

I know this isn’t what you specifically asked about, but I thought it might help. If not, scroll on!

1 Like

It’s funny, I used to do mobility/strength training (phase 6 fitness) which indeed really helps with coordination and strength. There’s core work involved, complex sequences, planks. I realized though that my nemesis was knee pinching (see 2nd photo) which I think for me occurred bc my quads just overpower everything in lower body exercises.

So I switched to pilates. I used to constantly get jumped loose no matter how many planks I did and that stopped happening. My leg is also more underneath me bc my core is so much more stable. You can also find lots of pilates sequences that are more complex and allow you to practice coordination.

vs.

YMMV of course, but I think if people suggest it a lot here, it’s because it’s worked for them.

2 Likes

What were you hoping to work with the planks?

My understanding was that planks would strengthen my core and help with posture. My legs would want to take over, again the quads, so I try to focus more on glutes and core to hold it.

I’m finding more stability benefits to lying on my back with my legs up to the ceiling and doing large but controlled circles with the legs together.

Again, not saying it’s perfect, just saying this has worked for me and what I like is you can find pilates exercises for free on youtube (move with Nicole is great), and you don’t need equipment. I also like how precise you need to be, I think that discipline lends itself well to riding.

1 Like

Was it Graston, where the therapist scrapes gently with a metal instrument?

What kind of device? I had shoulder injury at one point, my PT also said that some of my muscles are not firing, and when i was doing some exercise, my rhomboids ain’t moving at all!

No. It was a tool shaped like a gun that delivered rapid impacts to the area. I didn’t get a real close look at it, but I think it was something like this

Maybe these?

Perhaps working with the whole body is the “updated” version of focusing on one area…

I’m not being totally fascetious. I haven’t tried the above linked bands myself, but they make sense in principle. The shoulders back was probably the right thing for some people, but if you got rubs, it probably wasn’t totally right for you.