Unlimited access >

Any updates on jumping phase of eventing?

I know it’s supposed to be rescheduled for Monday, but does anyone have any intel on when? A man in my elevator said trot in/inspection was today at three, but I don’t know if that’s official either. Thanks for any help. Not trying to downplay anyone in poor situations here. I’d just like to cheer on my country and others.

Wondering the same thing… Eventing Nation also reports that the inspection/jogs will happen today at 3:00, which would be interesting to watch if it’s possible to get over there.

Agreed. Are the jogs open to the public I wonder?

I am not sure. It seems like there are a lot more restricted areas at this WEG, compared to 2010 in Kentucky. I certainly understand that there are good reasons for that, but the ability to watch warm-ups and jogs and have that interactive experience with the competitors is important for the spectators and supporters of this sport. We happened to be walking XC on Friday when Boyd Martin was doing a course walk with a group of people, and we were able to follow along with them and hear his thoughts about the track and each jump. The group started small and by the end there were probably 30 people meandering along with him. He was so nice and talkative with every one. When one of the staff told him the group couldn’t cut across the track to continue along the course, he argued (politely) with her, saying that we were supporters of this event and shouldn’t be forced to walk back miles around the other way to get to where we were heading. She gave in and he led us across. The whole thing was a great opportunity, and he seemed perfectly happy to have all of us trudging along with him.

8 Likes

Yikes! I can’t imagine they can properly “inspect” a horse trying to jog through that!

Here’s the latest news that’s on their website. https://tryon2018.com/article/schedu…september-17th

That info is different than what is posted above, so everyone should seek the latest, greatest info so they don’t miss anything.

They must have very poor siting and/or drainage. It really hasn’t rained all THAT much in that area when that photo was taken. Looking at the closest gov’t weather station, less than 1.5 inches in 24 hours. Which isn’t trivial, but any place in the South that sells tickets printed with “Events will occur rain or shine” needs to plan for that kind of thing.

1 Like

Thanks for posting! Information is changing by the minute, it seems. I’m thrilled they’re starting earlier.

I wonder if the people jogging horses can use those kiddie water wing things? They should have the Coast Guard doing the inspection, not the officials. Does anyone know what the housing area, and stables look like? And is the parking above water?

1 Like

The jumping starts at 10am tomorrow local time.

All barns are dry - stables and aisles. The area by the jog was flooded for the first jog too, after a shower that lasted no longer than 15 minutes, so after 24 hours of persistent (though not consistently heavy) rain, I’m not surprised it looked the way it did. There’s definitely drainage issues in that spot!

There are some photos from today’s eventing jog here - http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/all-horses-pass-final-eventing-inspection-at-weg#prettyPhoto[212737]/6/