Anybody raise Boer goats?

I was pondering the idea of raising a couple of Boer goats for meat. A 50# carcass or two sounds like a manageable amount of meat for the two of us. First step, of course, is to see if I like goat meat. DH knows a couple of people at work with goats- he’s going to try to procure a pound of goat burger for me to try.

A steer won’t work for me on this farm- it’s not set up so move or work cattle. And at slaughter time, I really don’t want to put any full grown bovine in my aluminum horse trailer.

My only experience with goats was a PITA scrub wether that enjoyed finding a way over/under/through any fence I put him behind, often taking the cows with him, then jumping on the hood of my vehicle.

Is it true Boer goats are calmer and more cattle-like? I could put goats with one dog-hating mare for coyote/dog protection. Just wondering how they are to have around the farm…

In my limited experience (thirteen years with the same Boers) they are calm and dog-like. Like fun, intelligent, know your name and come when called, dog-like.

I thought to go into the meat goat business. Seemed like a money-making deal. Plus I like goat meat.
I now have old goat pets, that will live out their lives here on the farm. The kids were too cute and I named them, sigh.

My horses and goats get along fine.

This probably wasn’t any help to you :slight_smile:

I think leaf’s info sounds like at least half your answer.
I can’t weigh in on raising Boers, but I’ve had the meat (ground) & IMO it was indistinguishable from beef.

I love Boer goats :). The floppy ears & endearing personality make it difficult to send them to slaughter, though, so it’s easy to turn them into pets.

Do you have goat-proof fencing? Average horse fencing is unlikely to contain them. They can be trained to respect electric fencing, to a certain extent, though.

The meat can have an off taste if you’re not careful about the plants in their pasture. Goats are browsers so they’ll eat all the weird plants they have access to.

Relating to the taste thing, confining the goats for a while before slaughter, feeding hay, maybe a bit of grain, could have the meat with no “off” taste.

I do believe goats, along with lamb meat, need to be cooked quickly, in very short times, or the meat is dry and overdone. During Fair, the food center had a specialty meat of the day. I only did goat once, found it very tough and without good taste at all. Of course this is doing quantity meat in roasting pans, for shredded meat sandwiches, so probably not a good test. All the other folks LOVED those sandwiches, which is why I tried it. Sauce on the meat was no help. They just cooked all the food to death and most folks attending Fair cooked home food the same way.

You might also want to consider how much meat in return to live weight you will get. A 50# goat, is not going to give you much meat after processing. If you get 15#, with bones out, I would call that good. Times two, that is only 30# of meat total, for the cost of kids, processing expenses, divided to know how much a pound it cost you. Most of the folks buying meat goats at our Fair, had them just cleaned out for roasting the whole goat over a barbeque for a dozen folks during a picnic. Just not much to a kid goat, even a big breed.

We always have had lambs, and for some meat production using the right breeds, you get LOTS more meat. We raised ours on pasture, small amount of grain in your hand, so they would go in the stall for nights, safer for them. Starting with young lambs of 30#, they gained incredibly! We have good grazing, not much in weeds because I mow often. From April to first week in August for Fair, lambs would gain between 80-100 pounds. Market weight goal is 130#, with ours usually weighed over that.

With the lambs live weight at 140#, we would get back about 90+ pounds of meat. Breeds of sheep were Suffolk, Hampshire or crosses of these breeds. Smaller sheep breeds are available, you can graze them until almost a year old, before getting them processed, for a bigger meat return. For us, using those small breeds, you pay more per pound for processing, which makes the meat more expensive. If you process your own lambs/kid goats, you save the money so it would be much less of a factor in choices of breeds. There are sites that show meat return to weight of animal, so the processor is NOT SHORTING you of the meat you get back. Bones and inside stuff takes up a lot of weight on any animal. Lambs have been a good animal for us, grow the most meat for the least investment, so we are not ending up paying premium meat prices when you eat it.

We have a goat as a pet. All I can say is have some good fence. Boy oh boy I will tell you she is a bit of a handful. I will never have a goat again. She was given to DH by the neighbor because he was sick of her and going to put her down. DH felt sorry for her and took her. What is the old saying no good deed goes un punished. She will live out her days here but geesh there are times…

I have a 1/2 Boer doe that looks full Boer. She’s a delightful, bossy girl. VERY strong.

I have no trouble keeping Isobelle, her maa, my two LaMancha wethers and a Nigerian wether in welded wire fencing 5’ high.

We started into Boer’s this spring for our kid’s 4-H projects. We LOVE the breed. They are VERY docile and calm, and in our short experience, do not challenge fences like some other breeds do. As long as there is enough to eat on their side of the fence, they seem completely content to stay put. We’ve kept them behind 2x4 woven mesh, 4x4 woven mesh, cattle panels, 7-strands of HOT electric and round pen panels (150lb adults ONLY). We found that 6-strands of alternating hot/not-hot coated cable/wire DOES NOT work to confine them. The spacing is too wide and they zoom through before they feel the shock. The 7-strand fencing was spaced very close at the bottom, with step in posts every 6’ or so, and was TIGHT. It zapped them before they could get through, and they immediately backed off the fence.

Ours are auctioned for slaughter, and the best meat & prices come from those weighing 75-120lbs. Commercial auction prices locally are ~$2-2.50/lb for live weight. It takes about 7 months or so to get a wether from birth to about 100lbs. One thing to watch with meat wethers is Urinary Calculi, which can cause them to become fully blocked, unable to urinate, which quickly results in death. You have to feed meat wethers carefully, and supplementing with Ammonium Chloride is also a great idea.

Taste wise, I WOULD NOT count on “grocery store” goat to be good. Every variety we have tried has been nasty - rangey, scrubby, weed-eating tasting. But I am going to assume that goat raised for slaughter, and feed good pasture - hay - grain, must taste A LOT better because people locally go crazy for it at the 4-H auction. Many of the animals are purchased to be eaten by local families. So far, we have not had the heart to eat any of our personal goats, because they do become pets…

Right now, we have 2 very very well bred registered pregnant does, and are anxiously awaiting our first home-born, home-raised kids in Feb 2015.

We eat goat more than any other meat here - we keep a bunch of wethers back every year. For us, it’s a hundred times easier to sell our wethers than anything else except milking does, because the demand for goat meat is so high.

We never have off tasting meat but any meat I’ve purchased at a store was flat out disgusting.

Raising a couple wethers to butcher is not too difficult - nothing like attempting to raise and breed, which is insanely difficult.

All the Boers I’ve met and handled (we had a few on the dairy but are down to two, a very old girl and her daughter) have been gentle easy to handle big goats. None of them ever escaped anywhere, unlikely my wiley Nigerian Dwarves.

They sound like cats in a roomful of rocking chairs. Oh, my ears! Lovely and docile, at least our neighbors are. The kids who raise them for market sale in 4-H bawl like babies the day the trucks come to slaughter…too much like dogs, too much personality. OP? Do you like lamb or venison? Goat has a taste like that in my opinion. Diet and age also effect taste. Our lambs are Oxford Down, butchered at 9 months (120lbs usually) and are deliciously mild.

I’ve only had lamb once, and it was icky enough to me that I’ll probably never try it again. I do like venison (or “deer meat” as they call it around here!) and I’ll try just about anything. I’m still not sure if the ostrich jerky I ate years ago was actually ostrich or the guy was just trying to see what kind of reaction he’d get from me. It was really good, btw. Of course I’ll have to try some goat (preferably grain finished) before I commit to filling a freezer with it. I’ve never seen it in the grocery stores, so it’ll have to be from an individual.

I do have some concern about getting attached to the silly critters. I’ve raised a few steers for beef, but most cattle aren’t nearly as sociable as goats. I absolutely will not buy bottle babies for this reason.

I have one small pasture about an acre that would probably work if I changed the gate. The neighbors have pygmy goats on the other side of the fence and they haven’t come through the fence yet so I think it would hold larger goats.

Sorry about your experience with poorly prepared lamb. If you like “deer meat” you would probably like well-prepared lamb. As I said before, it is something that doesn’t need much cooking time or it is not good eating. Real easy to over cook it. Husband has the touch with our lamb meals, things are juicy and flavorful, whatever the cut or even as ground meat.

Having goats is going to be hard when processing time comes. As you said, they do have personality. I only had one goat for a short while, she was making the horses kicky, bunting them with horns in the belly, so I took it back.

We do like the lambs, have learned to harden our hearts a bit. Kind of the “not as bright” cousin of goats, but ours didn’t CREATE situations or escape either! They came when called, would run to their stall each night, liked having jaws scratched. Son, DD and I had a number of talks about them going for meat sales. This is their destiny in life, they had the perfect sheeps’ life at our house. Kid gets the good money selling at Fair for their investment of time and money, no one else pays those high prices! We have great Community support with Buyers of Project animals, they pay well. Much appreciated by the 4-H kids who use funds for new animals or school savings.

Selling the Prospect Beef Calves was MUCH worse. Talk about pets! And they have BIG BROWN eyes. At least with the calves, they had more time to grow up after sale, so they were not going for meat from our hands. We all cried when they loaded them up at Fair for their new homes.