Unlimited access >

Anybody use their hay rack to haul?

I have a huge hay rack but have no idea how I would get the cart up there. Anybody use their hay rack for a two wheeled Meadowbrook or Road cart?

Depending on your total height with cart on trailer, you MIGHT be too tall to go under bridges!! I am presuming you are talking horse size vehicle. Do you have solid anchor points to tie the cart down should you get it up that high? Hauling does a number on a cart, if things are not secured well.

I have seen some Houghton/Jerald type show carts on top of trailers, but they are much shorter in height, pretty light in weight to manage getting them up there.

I have seen some trailers with a platform that holds a cart up against the back doors of trailer, shafts upright in travel. The platform was like a trailer hitch, with pieces that inserted into receivers under the trailer floor. Platform was removed to load and unload the horse. Yes, some work to use it, but they only had one trailer, no place inside it for the vehicle and they WERE going to the shows and competitions! So they made things work.

Other folks will partially disassemble the cart, so it fits into the spare stall, reassemble when they arrive to compete.

You would need a winch system for sure to raise the cart up… but boy oh boy, I would not want a meadowbrook sitting up on top of my horse trailer! If it isn’t secured well… ugh! And if it causes a crash and hurts other drivers… more UGH!

Like GoodHors said, people do transport Jeralds and the like up there, but those are much much lighter carts.

I point blankly would not put my meadowbrook on the roof of my trailer or car. The jog carts you see on top of trailers are very low profile and are pipe carts AKA light as air.

I am not even sure how you would get it up there with a winch, or how you would get it down. It would come down, shafts first of you raised it up by the axle.

Thanks, very one. How do people haul a Meadowbrook if they have a gooseneck? Is it possible to get shafts that disassemble? I have a three horse slant but I use the front stall for feed and water. I can take out the back tack room to provide more width.
I didn’t really even think about the height. Good point there. I do have an extremely solid steel hay rack so tying anything down is a cinch. We loaded it up with furniture and all the hard to pack outdoor things when we ran out of room in our moving vans, along with some big coolers for our five day move. But, I think most of that stuff was about level with the sides of the hay rack.
I also thought about standing it up in the front of my truck bed but I’m not real sure that’s enough room.
I have a fifth wheel hitch instead of gooseneck on my trailer. It’s a better ride and easy for me to hook-up by myself but it does tak up a fair amount of room in the middle of my bed.
I also have a small utility trailer and,for local trips to places like the Carolina Horse Park, hubby and I could drive separately.
I’m just trying to think ahead, if and when we want to take a trail driving vacation to the mountains or farther away.
Yes, I am putting the cart before the horse,lol!
Have been ground driving my pony a few times on weekends since I got her. She’s doing great. A little bit of baby silliness/spook but not bad at all.

I like the idea of putting it on the door of the trailer.
I plan to go watch a driving show in Southern Pines this spring and will be paying close attention to how everybody hauls their carts.

Either get a bumper pull and put the cart in the bed of the pickup (not easy) or get a bigger GN with room for the cart (not cheap). :slight_smile:

You could try fitting the pony in the first stall, then put the cart in the back area, shafts out the door, or tied up by the ceiling, maybe over the pony stall. Being pony size, things will be smaller than if you had a horse sized cart to load!

I don’t think having cart in the truck bed with trailer swing on turns, is a good idea. I am amazed at hearing how folks break out the back window, crunch the side of truck with goosenecks, trying to park them! Even with an 8ft bed, you just don’t have THAT much room when at a 90* angle. Wheels are good sized on Meadowbrooks, even pony ones.

You could put the hay, feed in truck bed if you have running boards to reach inside bed easier. Otherwise put feed, harness, back with the cart, in the rear of trailer when packing.

I can easily make a tight turn with my gooseneck and it doesn’t even come near the windows if I get into a jackknife.
Not really wanting a bumper pull because I HATE pulling them. Also, I have a nice LQ which I love.
I’m not sure if the cart would fit in front of the fifth wheel hitch anyway. I will have to measure, I guess.
I suppose I can be resigned to always needing a second vehicle but hoping to find a solution.
Anybody know when some type of driving event/show will be in the Southern Pines area? I need to go see what other people do to get this type of cart to a show.
My pony is cob size, 14.1, about the size of a Hafliger body type. So, wheels and shafts won’t be much shorter than horse size.