Unlimited access >

Anybody Wanna Take a Stab at my Mare's Breed?????

[QUOTE=Shagyas Rock;7722552]
Her beautiful head and large, soft eye make me think of Welsh or Arabian . .which might also account for those lovely gaits. . .[/QUOTE]

Maybe a Quarab that came out on the small side? The later headshot certainly makes me think Quarab. Otherwise, I’d say Welsh/Arab, but I don’t think that color is possible with that cross?

hahaha! The sad thing is that some people would agree with that first part of the statement!

Always thought I would be shelling out a pretty penny for a big dappled gray warmblood or something.

Not being handed a buckskin dappled “or something” pony for free!
The vet told me she was considered “dun” but after digging into the color registries (if she was to be registered color is all I can prove)…she is a true buckskin with dapples. So it made me feel a little smart to be able to accurately describe her color to people if nothing else :yes:

She could be full or part Welsh, seen color on some of the Rosmels…one called Rosmels Perfectly Dun has very similar color. IIRC it was/is a Medium. Pretty good Pony.

So I vote Welsh or Welsh cross or Quarab-which is Arab/QH.

[QUOTE=findeight;7722660]
She could be full or part Welsh, seen color on some of the Rosmels…one called Rosmels Perfectly Dun has very similar color. IIRC it was/is a Medium. Pretty good Pony.

So I vote Welsh or Welsh cross or Quarab-which is Arab/QH.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’ve seen that dappled buckskin in Welsh breedings and was thinking of Rosmels when I saw her. I think the chances that you have a rare/endangered breed such as the Marsh Tacky are pretty slim and the images I saw online didn’t really mesh with the ones you posted of your mare. The Welsh/QH cross isn’t all that uncommon. In all likelyhood you have a great product of two more common breeds.

So how was it that she was free?

I vote for Quarab!

Gosh, she’s cute as a button… :yes:

Rain on my parade! I’m just kidding. I figured as much, that she couldn’t be that rare.

I have been riding her since May of 2013. At the time she was a rank 4 year old with very very basic training. She was sold to a kid who ended up not having enough time to work her through her sillies. The lady who owned her when I rode her received her back 6 months later. She then was sent to her original trainer to get more miles and be sold off again. After a few months over this past winter, Bella came back, with no more education than she left with, and a whole lot less muscle. She hadn’t been so much as touched the whole time.

While Bella was supposed to be in “training” and on consignment for sale, her previous owner had acquired 3 new horses and an almost full barn of boarders (minus ONE stall, yippee)…When Bella was brought back from the trainer, I was called back in to ride her and try to get her sane enough to be sold again. The lady didn’t have time between her own, her whole boarding operation, and her 4 year old son. She literally does everything at the barn on her own…caring for 22 horses and a 4 year old all on your own gets old.

She had no desire to keep Bella because she didn’t have the time or the money to feed another mouth. She tried to market her for a month or two, and got bites, but at this point of Bella being dragged from place to place, had begun to get picky about where she was sent. This of course was counter intuitive to getting rid of “another mouth to feed”.

Eventually she offered me to have Bella free and clear, as long as I kept her at the lady’s barn (no problem with that) for the first year. I work off her board, because frankly, the lady needs some extra hands.

I won big time in this deal, simply because her owner didn’t have the time for her. She kicks herself every time I’m out and she sees Bella going. But it’s fine. She knows me and Bella mesh well amazingly, and often says she couldn’t have picked a better person to be her owner.

Just to be fair, the Pony is Rosmels Perfectly Done, not Dun, but she is buckskin and Full Welsh, foaled in 2002.

[QUOTE=LittleMissBigTime;7722690]
Rain on my parade! I’m just kidding. I figured as much, that she couldn’t be that rare.

I have been riding her since May of 2013. At the time she was a rank 4 year old with very very basic training. She was sold to a kid who ended up not having enough time to work her through her sillies. The lady who owned her when I rode her received her back 6 months later. She then was sent to her original trainer to get more miles and be sold off again. After a few months over this past winter, Bella came back, with no more education than she left with, and a whole lot less muscle. She hadn’t been so much as touched the whole time.

While Bella was supposed to be in “training” and on consignment for sale, her previous owner had acquired 3 new horses and an almost full barn of boarders (minus ONE stall, yippee)…When Bella was brought back from the trainer, I was called back in to ride her and try to get her sane enough to be sold again. The lady didn’t have time between her own, her whole boarding operation, and her 4 year old son. She literally does everything at the barn on her own…caring for 22 horses and a 4 year old all on your own gets old.

She had no desire to keep Bella because she didn’t have the time or the money to feed another mouth. She tried to market her for a month or two, and got bites, but at this point of Bella being dragged from place to place, had begun to get picky about where she was sent. This of course was counter intuitive to getting rid of “another mouth to feed”.

Eventually she offered me to have Bella free and clear, as long as I kept her at the lady’s barn (no problem with that) for the first year. I work off her board, because frankly, the lady needs some extra hands.

I won big time in this deal, simply because her owner didn’t have the time for her. She kicks herself every time I’m out and she sees Bella going. But it’s fine. She knows me and Bella mesh well amazingly, and often says she couldn’t have picked a better person to be her owner.[/QUOTE]

Not to rain on your parade anymore but I do hope you got that “sales agreement” in writing. We’ve seen more than our fair share of these types of agreements go wrong, especially when people have seller’s remorse.

Absolutely. I have a bill of sale, notarized and a sales contract was signed. :smiley:

Welsh Pony x Andalusian.

Maybe something else added.

Wild guess, but there are quite a few Andalusian breeders in Florida.

So pretty, but take care of those dainty legs!

I think she is gorgeous! I also think she is a QH or a QH cross. She is the same color as my dearly departed Whinnie who was 100% foundation QH but stood 16.1 hh, had “to die for” gaits, and was definitely not one of those stout, beefy QHs.

I love her!
I’m thinking Connemara X Arabian or Welsh X Arabian

Lovely girl!

Thanks everyone! When are they going to develop bubble wrap for horses, to protect my girl’s legs? So far so good knock on wood but she does enjoy kicking the crap out of her stall wall when it’s feeding time to piss off her neighbor. Hoping to rearrange some stalls soon between the three barns to hopefully remove that problem. Or put her next to her bestest friend, a nearly 18 hand gray draft cross.

I have pictures of her from May 2013, and then the ones I posted which have all been over this summer, and she has really grown up quite a bit over the last year.

I hear her parents were somewhat local, and the barn owner (and her previous owner) has contact information for the people who had her before she came to be at this location. She would have been just coming 3 at that time. Fingers crossed that perhaps I can find something out from them!

[QUOTE=LittleMissBigTime;7722761]
Absolutely. I have a bill of sale, notarized and a sales contract was signed. :D[/QUOTE]

Hooray! This makes me very happy and you one very smart lady! :yes:

[QUOTE=Snowflake;7722815]
Hooray! This makes me very happy and you one very smart lady! :yes:[/QUOTE]

I had a hunch from the beginning of the time I started working with Bella, that she was something special. So when the too good to be true offer came along, I crossed all my T’s and dotted all my I’s…and her owner was more than happy to oblige. She’s become one of my closer friends, being not much older than me, and running with a dream I’ve had since the days of short stirrup classes and breyer horse playtime!

No guesses from me, but I have to weigh in with an opinion on her look, which is adorable! Not sure when I last saw such a striking color with those dramatic black points! You must get lots of ogles and admiration. I think you should get the DNA test just to satisfy all of us : )

What a beautiful mare! I immediately thought QH/Welsh. Then I looked up Marsh Tacky as I had never heard of them. Immediately saw the resemblance. Whatever she is, she is yours. Lucky lucky you!

What a gorgeous mare! I see Arabian mixed with something else in her, but whatever her breed, the results are very nice.

Texas A&M does the DNA testing. I know a few people that have gotten it done and the results “fit”. There was someone in the Eventing board that did it a few months ago.

[QUOTE=Belmont;7723671]
Texas A&M does the DNA testing. I know a few people that have gotten it done and the results “fit”. There was someone in the Eventing board that did it a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Perfect! I will have to look into them!