Unlimited access >

Anyone else a caregiver or ever been a caregiver?

I wasn’t sure where to put this.

A few years ago I moved back home and began caring for my mom full-time. I love my mom so much, but she has metastatic breast cancer and the emotional toll is hitting me and I feel very alone. She was just in the hospital (again) and I’m not sleeping because I’m terrified something is going to happen. My PCP told me that my emotions are normal. I see a therapist and I’m on medication to help me, but I was wondering if anyone else has been a caregiver or is a caregiver.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I also took care of my mom when she was dying of breast cancer. Feel free to pm me any time if you’d like to talk. :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! It’s such a weird process to go through. Do you know of any online places to talk with other caregivers? And does it get easier? My sister is a nurse and she periodically visits to help out and sends me information, but right now especially seems hard. I think it’s because my mom was just hospitalized and the doctors thought it was the end.

1 Like

reach out to hospice care.
No, this does not mean you are ready for her to go at all.
But they can give you support as well as your mom.
(If she qualifies, which can change. hospice care is not necessarily terminal!)

Many hugs to you.
That is a hard job!

1 Like

This. Hospice can be very supportive of family caregivers. (Get recommendations for local services.)

There is no ‘requirement’ to die at a certain time on hospice. As long as the patient meets certain criteria they are eligible. If the patient lives beyond what the hospice normally has in their purview, that’s ok.

3 Likes

Caregiver to first one parent and then the other for just under 8 years.

That wasn’t really my life plan. It just worked out that way.

You need ways of getting daily support, whatever that means to you. It could be getting out or it could be things you do in. It’s about what is restorative to you.

This article about Spoon Theory applies to caregivers, too. It can help you think about how to manage the toll that caregiving takes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is definitely a very weird process to go through. I don’t know of any online places where caregivers can gather, but I’m sure they’re out there! It does get easier, and just changes, in a lot of different ways.

Be kind to yourself, and try to find a thing or two that brings you joy even now. It’s so easy to just focus on your mom, and while that’s obviously going to take up a whole lot, you still need space for you. :heart:

1 Like

Hospice has been very valuable to me, even though my mother is stable. They know all the right people to help you plan for things and the nurse they sent really helped me be seen and had the time to talk out some issues and solutions with me. We first connected to them a few years ago and I’ve been really glad for it.

1 Like

AARP has caregiver resources available.

Susan

1 Like

Yours is a difficult path too many of us have walked along.

Are there any senior centers in your area? Some of them have groups and other resources for care givers.

Thank you all so much for the advice and just the general support! I reached out to my PCP for tips and so we’ll see what she suggests. I live in a rural area, so I’m not sure what we have. I hate to say it, but I just feel a bit overwhelmed. Hopefully my PCP has suggestions.

1 Like

@signmypapyrus Try looking up some facebook groups, like Caretakers of Elderly Parents (of which I am a member) or other elderly caretaker groups on FB. There are many of us out there doing exactly this “unexpected” job, and lots of others can help you NOT to go it alone!

I too have personally given up my life to take care of my elderly mother for the last 5 years, and trust e, it IS NOT easy. Every time she has a downturn, she thinks she’d going to die, and I (who am an intovert, and definitely not a caretaker type) get to put on my cheerful face, in spite of all the setback and grim hospital stays and daily health problems, and we make it thru. EVERY FRICKIN DAY!

If you can talk with others that are going thru the same things, sometimes it helps you to cope, because you HAVE to take care of YOU, as well as take care of every little life detail for them too. As they say on airplanes, put on your own oxygen mask first, then assist your child with their oxygen mask - so you all will survive!!! Take Xanex if you need it, or Tylinol PM to sleep because YOU need to be ABLE to care for your elderly parent when they cannot. Love them while you can too.
Grief is the price of LOVE.
just imho

1 Like

I too am sorry you’re having to go through this. I also felt much alone when I went through this with my father who was dying and my mother who had 3 strokes while he was in hospice. I had just gone through a difficult divorce only to have family health crises rise to takeover. I now help take care of my mother who lives in assisted living; but I’m responsible for all her transportation needs and maintaining her finances (as well as supporting her due to a sibling cleaning her out) which takes a good bit of my time. I luckily had a counterpart at work who was going through the same thing with her father at the same time; so, talking to her helped us both out. She helped me make the decision to change my work in such a way that I’m able to balance the demands of work and the needs of my parent(s at the time) and ongoing with my mother. This is a difficult road to travel alone so I do encourage you to seek help and resources wherever you can. I’ve also been getting lots of help and good advice from my mother’s doctors (cardiologist, neurologist, internist, dermatologist, GP et al) that has gone beyond their specific focus of expertise. .

2 Likes

the cancer center I receive care from has social support services for family and caregivers. Have you checked with the doctors office to see if they have allied services?. The hospital or clinic likely has many resources for you.

A journey of love is not always easy . Peace for you, dear sister.

2 Likes

@signmypapyrus, I’m sorry you’re going through this, but you are there for your mom, and that is the best gift you could ever give her. My sister and I shared parent care through the last months of my father’s battle with cancer and then for the years of my mother’s dementia. Just mentioning this so you know where I come from.

Hospice was invaluable, especially in the last weeks and days. Dementia doesn’t qualify one for hospice, but my mother also had a cardiac condition that did. One thing we did was introduce hospice early in both cases. They didn’t provide services until a month before death in each case, but they had the chance to meet my parents and speak with them while they were relatively well and establish a relationship.

If you can possibly do it, find someone in your area whom you can trust to come to your home and give you a break. Even if just a couple of hours a week, you need this to find time for recovery. You are posting here so I assume you’re involved with horses. If you can’t leave your mother alone while you take a pony break, find someone from her church if she had one, a neighbor, anyone. In a friend’s case, they brought it a “cleaning lady” who bustled about, but her real job was keeping an eye on her mom for a couple of hours a week. Even if you have to pay for it, it is worth it. And it may energize your mom to have someone other than you and doctors to talk to.

Don’t ever feel guilty about “loving lying”. When my dad was near the end, he wanted me to do a medical procedure on him that I was and am totally unqualified for, and even if I were I wouldn’t do it an a relative. He became so agitated and insistent that I had to get my DH involved before I got hurt. I finally pointed out that he was so tired, I couldn’t do what he wanted until he rested a bit. Somehow that worked, he slept for a bit and then forgot what he had wanted. With my delusional mom, it was more complicated, but it worked maybe 80% of the time, and that was a gift.

Use the time you have with your mom to talk about her memories and experiences. With my mom slipping into greater dementia, I would pull out a composition book and ask about her childhood, her favorite foods or colors, about her parents or whatever crossed my mind. We had some wonderful chats, and I took notes in the book which she could reread in my absence. It would help calm her when she became agitated. Now I get to read them and feel closer to her.

I’m glad you’re getting some support, and being overwhelmed is part of caregiving. Yes, it’s normal but that doesn’t make it feel better. Give yourself gold stars for what you do accomplish in a day, prune the “to do” list to essentials with the occasional treat, and try not to fret about the rest. You are a good person doing a good thing. And that’s all anyone can hope for.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you are going through this. My mom just moved in with me as she should no longer be living alone. It’s been very difficult on me and her as well. Try asking her drs for a palliative care team or a social worker, both can and will help coordinate services you might not even know are available. Good luck and know you aren’t alone.

2 Likes