Unlimited access >

Anyone else cry when a pet of internet fame dies?

Ugh. Cole of Cole and Marmalade fame was PTS this weekend and I’m on my second Kleenex. He was 9 years old, developed sinus cancer, was treated with radiation and chemo but came back with a vengeance as renal cell carcinoma. Being a cat person, I have been there but it is amazing how this can affect us when we have never met this family or their pet.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten attached to several of the dogs at Takis’ Rescue in Crete. They have a FB presence with a lot of live feeds daily and a YT channel as well. It’s rewarding to see rescued puppies progress from sickly, anemic, and worm-infested to romping about making mischief.

This past week they lost a sweet guy, Nano, to congestive heart failure. Someone found Nano abandoned and tied to a tree earlier this year; he was ill with leishmaniasis and likely the owner didn’t know what was wrong and/or didn’t have the means to treat him. The rescue got him treatment and he had several happy months of love and fun with his new dog and human family before he died. I will miss seeing him on the feeds.

Since you’re a cat person - this rescue does take in cats as well and they live a good life until they’re adopted or pass from age.

2 Likes

I have a friend who does a lot of rescue. She posts mostly on NextDoor and rescues a lot of little kittens. It breaks my heart when she tries so hard and they die or she has been told about the situation when it’s too late. Also TIER - they have had so many pass recently. I know she does her very best for them and sometimes it’s their time but still very sad.

I admit I cried a fair bit when Grumpy Cat passed.

1 Like

I cried when Grumpy Cat died, too, but Grandpa Mason was the one that really broke my heart.

1 Like

I still miss little blind Oskar. I used to check in on him often for a bit of cheer. Klaus is now 23.

1 Like

I generally cry a bit whenever anyone loses a pet. Can’t help it. I feel for the pets and the owners that loved them or I cry if it’s an animal that was abandoned/stray/feral, etc.

I usually have to leave the vet’s office if I know someone has brought in a beloved pet to be PTS because I know I’ll start sniveling at some point.

Can’t read the horse tribute ads in Chron, either.

3 Likes

Cole’s death made me cry. I do shed a tear when beloved pets of the Internet pass away. I feel so bad for their owners.

No.

I do feel the pain for those people I do know when they lose a beloved member of their animal family.

I also can get a bit choked up when watching it on Dr. Pol as well.

I’ve lost enough animals in my life and it never gets easier.

1 Like

Oh, that killed me. He was SUCH a great cat. Putting up with all those naughty bitey little kittens and taking it like a saint. Bless him.

@Gainer - I have to leave the vet office, too. I remember one day when I had to go in and pick up some meds and they were having a really bad day. Every room full with an animals that were either being PTS or going to be PTs and in the lobby a couple more. I had to go outside - I literally couldn’t breathe. I could never, ever work in a vet office. I would either be clocking someone or in floods of tears.

2 Likes

I once drove past a vet’s office and two women were hugging and crying. It made me cry too!

I used to watch the heartbreaking dog rescue videos but I try to only watch the happy ending ones now. Even better, now I watch the tiny dog spa videos from Japan??Korea?? not sure where. They also have amazing doggie kindergarten places. The puppies getting groomed are played with and massaged and are half asleep by the time the trimming happens. Now I want a toy poodle that looks like a teddy bear.

3 Likes

OMG Grandpa Mason! Lord, what a sweet story. Yes, that one got me too!

1 Like

I could never work in a vet’s office. My heart would be ripped out.

Henri, Le chat noir… One of the original internet cats recently passed. That gave me the sad feelz…

(If you haven’t seen the videos, they are totally worth watching, or rewatching)

1 Like

I just watched a couple and remembered who he was. The videos were quite amusing. Definitely worth a watch.

I follow Ralph the Corgi and was SO sad when his brother George died last year. They’ve since gotten a new pup, Harry, but still pay tribute to Georgie.