Anyone else dealing with chronic iron anemia? A bit of a rant.....and long

A bit of history first.

I had gastric bypass 31 years ago. Although I did not lose all the weight I wanted, I did lose enough to take up my childhood dream of horseback riding. :smiley: Gastric bypass has some nasty long term side effectsā€¦iron deficiency being one of them.

Along the years I have had a number of setbacks to my riding. After two successful total hip replacements, I am now riding relatively pain free. I do have significant arthritis. I developed bleeding stomach ulcers about five years ago and have had some issues with that ever since. Iā€™ve been strictly warned to never take an NSAID again. I was having anemia issues long before the ulcers. The ulcers are being dealt with. I can certainly sympathize with our ulcer prone horses!

I have two wonderful horses, a 21 yr old Appy and a 7 yr old Hanoverian. :slight_smile: Both are progressing nicely and I want to step things up a notchā€¦but chronic iron anemia is holding me back. My last blood test came back with a hemoglobin of 9.2. When it drops below 11 I start feeling bad. By the time it hits 10 I am barely able to function.

I no longer seem to be able to absorb iron orallyā€¦all the iron supplements do naught. After years of whining and complaining I found a doctor who took me seriously and referred me to a hemotologist. I now get IV iron treatmentsā€¦but I have to basically bottom out before the Hemotologist will approve them. :no:. So far she will not approve the IV iron until I hit 10 or below on the hemoglobin test. Even after the treatments, Iā€™ve never gotten above an 11.5.

I get so tired of feeling tired and washed out. Iā€™d love to get back to a consistent level instead of feeling good for two to three months, then a steady decline for three months and a month of gradually feeling better as the iron kicks in. This seriously affects my riding, as I get so tired, weak and short of breath that I have to be very careful in what I do. Riding in heat is an absolute NO! And when I get so low, Iā€™ve taken to not riding unless someone else is around. Several times I have seriously alarmed the BOs where I board. I am lucky in that though rough, my horses thrive at this facility.

I realize that too much iron in the blood can be just as dangerous as too little. After IV iron, it takes me 3-4 weeks to start feeling better. At about the three month mark I start to decline and by month four and five Iā€™m in significant ditsress. Although no one has said so, I suspect there may also be some limitations involving my insurance. There is only one hemotologist locally.

Sorry. Rant over. I go for IV iron tomorrow, and despite really wanting to take advantage of my day off and beautiful Spring weather, I know the treatment is far more important.

Oh man, that sounds terrible :frowning: Iā€™m so sorry to hear youā€™re going through that. Is it possible at all to find another doctor, even if out of town?

Have you tried sublingual iron? I wonder if that might work better for you. It looks like there are a few options on googleā€“might be worth a shot?

Do you also supplement B12? I do that and use this one. Itā€™s palatable and was very effective at getting my levels up.

see also this thread (for the dietary suggestions, not the politics :slight_smile: )

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?487036-former-vegetarian-eating-beef-again-for-anemia

I second Simkie on the sublingual iron. I have malabsorption issues due to a rare autoimmune disease, so I am chronically low in many vitamins. I am able to successfully take iron orally, but I cannot tolerate oral magnesium and there is not a subingual version. A doctor told me that you can absorb it through your skin! I was skeptical, but now I put a double dose in my socks every morning for about 1/2 hour or so, and blood tests now show my magnesium levels at normal. It might be worth a try! They have to be uncoated tablets, though. I hope you feel better soon!

Iā€™ve read that if you take a Vitamin C source (not pills, but real Vitamin C from food), that iron absorbs better.

Yesā€¦most insurance will not pay until the Hbg reaches a certain threshold. So therefore, the docs are treating numbers (as dictated by insurance), not the patient:no:. Can you afford an infusion more often?

I am sure you have tried various forms of iron. Were you taking the iron with vitamin C? Do you take a proton pump inhibitor for your ulcers? They greatly reduce the amount of iron absorbed. Iron is absorbed in the duodenum. I am not very well versed about what is bypassed in a gastric bypass but I believe the duodenum should be intact. Unfortunately, supplemental iron is not very well absorbed in the best of circumstances.

Jingles you can find a balance.

Susan

Thanks for the suggestions. I didnā€™t know iron was available in a sublingual form! This is something I need to investigate further. I knew if I came to COTH someone would have a suggestion I hadnā€™t thought of! :lol:

I have been on B12 shots for several years. Rather than once a month, I take them every two weeksā€¦just seem to do better when I do it that way.

Kyrabee: Yes, I am on Protonic daily, and twice a day when the ulcers become more active. I go in June for another gastro work up, but have very little doubt that I have bleeding ulcers again. Not severe, but enough to add to the anemia. I honestly think the ulcers started due to extreme stress at my job. Iā€™ve changed jobs and now am in something much less stressfulā€¦and so far am loving it. Seems that once the ulcers started, theyā€™ve been recurring.

I have tried to stagger my oral iron supplements to be at least 3-4 hours after taking the Protonic. I had what was called a bilio pancreatic bypass. Didnā€™t have any real issues with it (except for kidney stones, which Iā€™m told the bypass makes you more prone for them) until about 10 years ago when the anemia started. Over the years itā€™s gotten worse. Iā€™ve been told the bypass procedure I had is no longer done.

I was initially treated for my anemia by a nephrologist, as Iā€™ve had an extreme problem with kidney stones (they donā€™t call Western NC the ā€œstone beltā€ for nothing!). He put me on calcium CITRATE as a preventative and since getting up to a certain level, the number of kidney stones has dropped by over 90%! This doctor told me to quit taking oral ironā€¦that I was just flushing money down the toilet. I still take a bariatric multi-vitamin with iron twice a day, but really think the iron isnā€™t being absorbed. Since sublingal doesnā€™t go through the gastro tract, this might be an option to try.

I asked about paying for additional treatment out of pocket, and my hemotologist said noā€¦I had to be down to a certain point before sheā€™d OK the treatment. I am seriously considering trying to find another doctor out of town.

I just get frustrated at how much this interferes with my horses. Today was a lovely day, I should have been riding, but I was so tired all I did was sleep. I not only hate how I feel physically, by how whiney and depressed I get.

Itā€™s really rather sad to be looking forward to five hours of IV iron treatment.

I really appreciate all the advice. Definitely some things to explore and think about!

1 Like

I had the gastric sleeve last year and I am active on BariatricPal forums. You might want to put your question on that forum.
I have seen where a number of people like the vitamin patches. That might be another option for you. They are a little pricey.
http://www.patchmd.com/Iron-Plus-Topical-Patch.html

My bariatric surgeon prefers the sublingual b-12 to the injections. He said that research has indicated the sublingual works just as well. I was taking daily sublingual B-12 after surgery and had to back down to every couple of days since my last blood test showed I was pretty high in B-12. I used to do B-12 injections prior to surgery.

I too am anemic now and had a history of it prior to surgery. The oral supplements and changing my diet didnā€™t seem to work well. I have a gyn appointment next month. I think that is the root of a lot of my issues with anemia. My periods have gotten really long and heavy the last couple of years. If getting that fixed doesnā€™t work I am thinking I will be trying the patch.

1 Like