Unlimited access >

Anyone else lost the love for showing?

I am finding this thread so relevant! I can’t afford the time and money to do the hunter shows any more. My fancy gelding and I are just enjoying trail riding, and while I miss hanging out with my barn friends at shows, I have had so much more money in my bank account, I am doing remodeling jobs at my house that have been sorely needed for years :slight_smile:

8 Likes

In all my research into this issue, I think there are a few main issues that have stolen the joy from showing from a lot of folks:

–Cost. 'Nuff said.
–The Industry. There’s so much wrapped up into these two words. The cultural norms within the industry - whether it’s the created trainer dependency, drugging, unethical horse sales (from misrepresentation to hidden commissions), the cost of horses - are a major turnoff for most of us, especially when these things are presented as “just being the way things are done.”
–Lack of Recognition. For most of us, who may be able to afford showing a handful of times a year, what’s the point when we have no hope of a year-end award. Why spend $2500 on a weekend and have nothing to show for it? The system itself encourages quantity over quality, and those who have quality without quantity remain unrecognized.

14 Likes

When I read this I could instantly relate…I think you mentioned time the most and that is what I find as I get older.

In 2016 I got my dream horse, he is an amateur saint that can take me up a couple levels. However, in 2017 I was not enjoying myself and our shows and we were having some issues. I could do things at home but the more I showed the more frustrated I was with the time and money I was spending. Compounded by my feeling like crying because of the disappointment in myself at the end of every weekend. I was exhausted at the end of that show season and really was thinking of never going to another show again.

Last year (2018) before the season I set two goals - no longer were they around winning/going up in heights, but was around feeling and I realized I wanted to feel happy, safe and excited. I recognized that the things I loved about shows was the lessons and learning before hand, the morning and evening walk/grass time with my horse, and the time outside of work. I also reflected that the most stressful things about 2017 was time and expectations, rushing to get everything done, to fit in local shows into already packed week-ends. I cut back on all local shows and actually just did two different circuits of two weeks. Away shows for me are like vacations, I love the time I get with my horse and all the work prepping/trailering gets to have benefits for two weeks. I ended the 2018 with my best classes, a healthy horse and everytime I came home I was smiling walking in my door. I did half the shows in 2018 but I got more happy memories than I had in the prior two years combined.

Suffice to say I am going to be doing similar this year. If I feel tired or if someone asks me what I am doing and I respond “I have to go to a show” then I will skip. I want the shows that when people ask what I am doing I smile and say I get to show my horse and hang with friends.

I don’t know your circumstances - but I would encourage you to write out the things that you did LOVE about showing, what you might miss. See if you can incorporate that into your current lifestyle, whether it means different types of shows, different levels, no shows but clinics. Do the things that make you smile when thinking of it.

3 Likes

Yes I can relate… especially the cost part. Went to HITS for 3 weeks, one horse - then another 3 weeks two horses and spent close to 50,000.00. This is not including regular full training and board. And this is the average cost to show with an A barn.

There are other factors that make it less attractive; In the 1980s I showed my OTTB (appy) in the Hunters and Equitation. We had so much fun and did well. My parents managed the costs; it was affordable for an average family. I showed when I worked a bit as well and could easily manage. I later leased my horse for several years when I married and had children. I really missed the horses. I bought a lovely hunter prospect in 2012. I know it was a long spread of time, however I was surprised at how you couldn’t ride the same horse in the Hunters that you rode in the Eq. (or slip in a barrel race on an off weekend). I noticed the Hunters slowed down a bit and it was awkward for me. So, I slipped into the jumper ring with another one of my hotter horses. But even doing 3ft Jumpers was a killer price wise.

atl_hunter; I snipped your comments - not that they weren’t all something I agreed with; but the above is also a large part of why I feel I don’t fit in anymore. We never had grooms etc. I did appreciate it as a busy adult but I missed caring for my own horses.

I recently moved my horses to a friends to take a break from it all. And what I found was Dressage. My horse loves it and so do I. It’s a great new learning experience and the shows are WAY cheaper if I decide to go compete.

My competitive spirit will always be inside. I love having a goal with my horses to work for… but with a family, responsibility and a budget; the A show experience was fun and I am grateful, just isn’t something I want to manage anymore.

3 Likes

I’m just popping in over from eventer land. A lot of you would be perfect candidates for eventing, at least combined tests. (no cross country) You would have complete autonomy. Nobody can ride your horse except you. No outside assistance is allowed. We get ride times and our fences are numbered. Everyone is supportive. The fees are still well within reach of the average person, and any horse can do the job. TB’s are the prevailing breed. Best of all, you can do it all in one day and be home for dinner and a good nap. Come over to the dark side…we have beer!

16 Likes

A friend and I were just saying the perfect show experience would be stadium jumping and dressage. I didn’t know they did a combined tests? I wonder if they do that where I live?? It would be super.

2 Likes

Yes, there are almost as many of them as full horse trials. Eventing has areas, so just look up USEA eventing and select what area you’re in via your state and you will see a calendar for schooling shows. Most are only $50 for a combined test. The facilities and footing will vary greatly from venue to venue, but there are enough where you can pick and choose.

https://useventing.com/events-competitions/calendar

3 Likes

Yup. Gave it another go yesterday. Sat around all flipping day because the ring was sitting empty. Finally went at 5:15, but then the cancelled my money class because of too few entrants. Had I known they might make this last minute decision, I would have just scratched and left hours earlier. I wasted half my weekend away from my family. Total crap. Scratching today. No more shows, thank you.

1 Like

That really sucks. I am sorry. I do hope you will take the time to send show management a constructive email about your experience.

1 Like

Truth. I’ve never been without a horse in 42 years and been riding for 52 years. And for a good chunk of that time I’ve spent with a goal of competing at some level in some discipline, with most of the adult years spent in hunterland. I took a break after 2008 (I retired my older hunter and had an '07 to start and train). By the time that youngster was ready to go, I took a hard look at your big three and decided it’s not for me any more.

• The cost is insane. I look at the shows I attended in the late 90’s and I can’t justify the same thing today. Hell, I look at what I did in 2007 when I made a run for points and I couldn’t justify those expenses today. And I am not making less money today, far from it.

• Admittedly the industry issue is less of a factor, I train my own, I may hook up with a trainer at some shows, but my little introvert self hangs out with very few people, I am not part of any program, so I was more insulated from it on a personal horsemanship level. But that didn’t mean I wasn’t aware of it, far from it. And it is appalling.

• The lack of recognition thing is sort of an issue. I have no problem losing to a better trip and usually no one is more aware of my horse’s and my riding limitations than I am. Plus some people have more money, can afford fancier horses or were just born more talented than me. I’m OK with that. But I also know that to be the best rider I can be, I need to show frequently, otherwise it is just a waste of money. So thanks to #1, #3 can be a source of frustration, which then makes you feel even MORE bitter about #1.

But I do like the goal oriented nature of competing, so I just did a discipline switch to CDE with a little side work in dressage and the only thing I regret is how long it took me to do it. I love the people, I love the sport, I love the competitions and my pocketbook loves the bill. Also, just like Ye Olde Days in h/j, there is a season. And then you are done, or in our case, move on to some dressage shows for the summer. But that is primarily because my youngster needs to get a lot of exposure to performing away from the home environment so he learns to be the same pony in both places.

1 Like

A rant:

OMG, check out the chastising that the OP gets in the current Shamateur thread.

For your reading pleasure it is conveniently placed here:

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f…ateur%E2%80%9D

Now, you can get a taste of my rant and point of view there.

But here’s the nub and essence of it that comprises the rant here. It’s inspired by that bit where Mac123 points out that anything we are unhappy with is presented as “just the way it is.”

YOU GUYS! ALL OF YOU GETTING SCREWED OVER BY CHEATERS…

WHY ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING TO DEFEND THAT AS SET IN STONE?

Not yelling at anyone in particular, but did choose the all caps so that all of the 99% who are working against their own interest. But more to the point, you are working against my best interest.

There should not be any remarks to the OP about losing any prose that may be interpreted as jealousy.

Dude! It’s is not jealousy of the cheaters to demand for the kind of fair play that the sport and the governing body says it offers. In fact, there’s nothing wrong with the character or attitude of the person who objects to cheating at all!

There should not be anyone warning the OP that she’ll be ostracized at her barn. Rather, anyone and everyone should be just as invested as the OP (or anyone filing a protest) in assuring fair play. How can anyone figure out how to stand up and do the right thing if she has to do that in secret?

There should be no chastising, MYOB or “ride against yourself.” Why, exactly, should anyone pay to play where cheating is happening? How is that sportsmanlike at all? That’s not a solution, nor are fair play and competing against yourself mutually exclusive. I think it’s a bad consolation price to offer.

This is the part of “the industry”-- where the ammies and clients who should be my friends and colleagues do not share my values. Let the Big Business trainers and horse show managers offer us all Kool-Aid. But I’m not drinking it. And I don’t want to waste my time and money among people who willingly drink it because that makes it harder to be among the few that stands up for sportsmanship.

6 Likes

“I’ve attached a video of Battle Creek Hunt --3 min --there are others on YouTube --this one is my favorite --also take a look at Battle Creek Hunt Club’s facebook page. Lots of pix and videos there --if you wonder who I am --look for the black coat on the brown horse (joke --we all dress like that) —I am the only one riding in knee pads --I have a double knee replacement and wear those for protection --my horse is a red roan with a white markings on either side of his tail.”

What a beautiful, inspiring video, Foxglove, thank you for posting! My horse would probably not do well but I may try foxhunting one day.

H/J shows are great for teens, and inspiring to watch but I’m a re-rider and after showing during 2017 I was underwhelmed and somewhat shocked at the cost of even local shows. I may or may not show again, but I’m thrilled to ride every day and love the community of my barn.

1 Like

It’s been several years since I showed H/J exclusively; I switched to breed shows in 2012. I won two world titles, two congress titles, and then for all intents and purposes… walked away.

I think part of it is that I don’t feel like I have anything to prove. On the other completely opposite hand, I have shown here and there at “local” shows over the last couple of years and my anxiety is through. the. roof.

Everything has gotten more expensive. In my personal experience, this has meant that 1) it gives me more anxiety to use my limited funds wisely and make my dollars stretch as far as they can and 2) there are fewer middle class riders at the shows. The snowball effect of that is that when I have gone into the ring, I’m competing against the six figure horse who has been leased to a new rider every year for the last six years. I’m also competing against the shamateur’s who spend all week riding. It’s just such an uphill battle as a true amateur, horses at home, with 3-4 rides a week to go be competitive… and I don’t want to pay thousands to maybe possibly have a chance at placing 3rd.

In our hopes and dreams, we all want the underdog horse and rider who can go beat anything that walks into the ring, but in reality - there’s a drastic difference between someone riding an expensive horse kept in full training versus a moderately priced horse worked a few times a week, maybe.

My favorite moments the last few years have been doing new things and visiting new places with my horses. I can get much cheaper “validation” (if that’s what it is) teaching my western horse to jump small courses at the house, or teaching my 2 year old the basics of showmanship than I can spending $1,700 to go get a third place ribbon after having a really, really great ride and being 1, 1, 2, gate because a judge missed us in the pen. Or, 2, 3, 4, 3 behind the same horses I’ve been showing against for years who consistently win the flat and are leased out, in barn, to different riders every single year.

I think there are definitely divisions and classes that are truly more “level” playing field, but I’m sick and tired of showing because I’m sick and tired of showing against the same people and the same horses. There is potential for getting a good prospect and taking it through the ranks and making a name after lots of blood, sweat, tears, and dollars - but that perspective isn’t the hill I want to die on. To me, the purpose of showing has always been to rank yourself and your horse against others. I already know where we rank, so there isn’t a purpose. If we were learning a new skill, or if there was constant new blood, then it would be fun again. But I can “compete against myself” at the house… for free… with wine. :lol:

3 Likes

I have said for a long time that I think most amateurs would get more satisfaction out of a combo approach than pursuing some rated hunter division vision of what it allegedly means to be an accomplished rider. I have no problem with people who want to pick a small handful of horse shows a year, but why not also try some lower level dressage classes? A hunter pace? A combined test? Low level jumper class? Off the farm trail rides like at a park with bridle paths? A clinic or two? A cross country schooling day? Start a young horse? The diversity has the potential to be so much fun. I worry in my heart of hearts that while I consider myself a hunter rider, there are too many people trying to look the part/be part of a perceived lifestyle, instead of focusing on their relationship with their horse and developing a complete skill set. Someone is no less accomplished for achieving their successes at home, and I hope people aren’t looking to the show ring for validation on whether they are good, accomplished riders and horse people. Nothing wrong with a little showing, but all things in moderation, and focus on what experiences your horse might enjoy. That’s my 2 cents anyway!

5 Likes

Tbh after I retired my 1.30m horse I didn’t really have much of a desire to compete because she was so fabulous and exciting and everything seemed boring afterwards. She was a very cheap horse that I bought when she was young and I was so lucky with her. She was one of those horses who always gave everything and never doubted a single jump and always forgave really bad rider errors instantly. I felt like finding another cheap horse and taking them along to that level seemed so unattainable and out of my reach. I couldn’t even imagine myself separate from her. I didn’t really even want to ride for awhile but I got back into riding and showing because I’ve always liked working with young horses. Occasionally I still get to compete at 1.10+ if I have a nice enough horse but mostly I get satisfaction at shows by helping rescues and ottbs get their first few shows in. I feel good giving horses positive experiences at shows and knowing that a kid or nice adult amateur will have a good time partially thanks to me when I sell the horse. I like having pretty show photos to send to horse rescues that they can put on their page to promote themselves. I don’t have access to really super scopey horses usually but I don’t get a lot of satisfaction competing at lower levels because it makes me feel like I’m taking ribbons away from less experienced people so at local shows I just enter unjudged. But I love getting to jump high and compete against people +/- my skill level on talented, game horses. I think it’s really fun, I love winning and love seeing other people happy when they win. For me those moments when you feel so in sync with your horse where they feel like an extension of your own body and you’re super fast and clean and there’s something at stake is the best feeling ever. I like seeing that feeling on other people’s faces. So I went through a rough patch but ultimately I have a lot of varying sources of happiness surrounding horse shows that keep me coming back.

3 Likes

Honestly, I wonder if the nature of a lot of people is they don’t like getting out of their discipline comfort zone. I’m always surprised at how many people I know that have anything from disinterest to outright snobbery/disdain about other disciplines (or even going on a trail ride). Maybe it is my circle of friends/acquaintances, but their discipline is their goal, and they may move to another one, but that all consuming interest in the new ONE thing just takes the place of the old one thing.

1 Like

Many amateurs, like myself, board their horses and don’t own a truck/trailer. So if my trainer/barnmates aren’t going to a show, clinic, event, etc…well, then it’s not an option for me, either. Of course, I could hire someone to ship my horse to a dressage show or event…at which I would be trainer-less and alone. Which definitely doesn’t sound like a feasible or even safe alternative to me. It’s really not a comfort zone thing, I promise you.

1 Like

I hope to do show competitively but that is dependent on my green horse and my life situation (money). I also find it hard to even find good little shows to take a green horse. The shows are becoming expensive so a lot of fancy horses are showing at lower levels. As someone with a green thoroughbred who is working on dealing with her anxiety at shows and as an adult, getting back into showing, I feel like I don’t fit in even at 2’3 height. The other thing for me is seeing the same horses in the same division winning each year. I feel like winning ribbons have been more important then progressing yourself and your horse. It’s not fun being in a new division against 5-10 horses who has done this division for multiple years.
I personally do hope to transition to jumpers or eventing where it is much more about your ability.

Foxglove, thank you for your very kind invitation.

Right now, it’s hard to think about anything, as I am dealing with a horse who may not last through the summer. I have only owned him for slightly over two years, and his looks and breeding were/are more than I could ever envision owning. He and I had just began to mesh and understand each other. It’s hard, as he will be the second horse I lose to cancer in less than three years.

It’s hard to think of getting another horse, but it is, also, hard to imagine my life WITHOUT a horse. I may need time to get over this, and then, if another comes along, get the most extensive PPE ever done on any horse.

Right now, I have been casually looking for another home with a little more “yard” for my Dobermans. If there is enough room for a horse, well…

RHdobes563 --sorry to hear this is a difficult time for you. I am sure you have been offered all the platitudes --but one that stayed with me after I lost my last horse (raised him from a baby until he died in my arms at 23) is that “when one door closes, another one opens.” I looked at that empty stall for two years --gradually realized that I would never own another horse like him (he was a Percheron --I had passed the age where I could deal with the weight of his harness and saddle). I sold or gave away all his "things --keeping only his last pair of shoes --we only shod for carriage work). Then my hunt horse suddenly became old (where does the time go?). I realized if I wanted to stay active at the hunt club, I needed a younger horse. I bought Will at an auction (after thoroughly trying him out).

No horse will replace the one who died —but Will is so remarkably different. With his QH skill set we have undertaken a new hobby (Mounted Archery) and said goodbye to an old one --driving carriages. I still miss my big fellow --but I look forward to every ride I have on Will --still --the STRESS of horse shopping about did me in —

Keep in touch. If you do want to try a hunt --let me know.

Good luck.

1 Like