Unlimited access >

Anyone ever added Cumin, Fennel seeds?

Has anyone ever added Cumin or fennel seeds to help with gas, bloat or colic to your horses feed? I have just added cumin and my horse loves it! I can only hope the bennefits of relieving gas and bloat might help with her digestion in the long run!

How do cumin and fennel work to reduce gas? What kinds of colic do they help prevent? What dosage do you need to give? How do you know they are having an effect?

2 Likes

They are herbs that help like gas x! They also help breakdown what causes the gas in the gut from the processed feed. I just started it on my mare and she seems to really like the cumin! In europe their are a lot of people who feed this to horses and I just wanted to get a better understanding if anyone else here has has any success? Thanks!

There was a thread on Horse Care about using fennel seed. Do a search there.

1 Like

I doubt they work the same way. Gas-X has simethicone (a poly-oxysilicone) as the active ingredient. It is a defoaming agent, that works to reduce the surface tension of the liquids that form bubbles.

There really isn’t any clinical evidence in humans or animals that it works for this.

1 Like

We feed our horses Black Cumin Seed Press Cake and Flax Seed Press Cake. These two products have really turned around my horses health. Haven’t tried fennel seeds, but i did notice that when i ran out of these two supplements for a week or so, one of my older rescue horses starting acting sluggish and behaving like he might start to colic. Once we got him back on the Cumin and Flax Cake, he perked right back up. I found these products through a companies blog posts, super interesting. This one is all about Black Cumin Seeds for Horses. These things have some many health benefits IMO

1 Like