Anyone ever have an artificial disc replacement in lower back?

My back is slowly becoming irritated again and I am looking into artificial disc replacement. I have already ruptured the same disc twice before and I am scared that if it happens to rupture again then I would need either a spinal fusion (do not want this) or a disc replacement. Anyone have a disc replacement done before? Was it successful? Could you ride pain free after you were healed?

I will be watching this thread closely.

I have not had artificial disc replacement, though I was once considered a candidate. Multi-level ruptures with pain at multiple levels ruled me out. However, the surgeon (Georgetown University) stated artificial discs can be a God-send for some people (of course he says that: he’s a surgeon heading a clinical trial for artificial disc replacement :winkgrin:) It has been a common practice in Europe for decades longer than in the US.

Might want to skim through http://clinicaltrials.gov/ to see if clinical trials are being offered in your area.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Bicoastal - Thanks for the link, I will check it out! I am hoping someone on here has gone through this procedure. I want to be prepared in case my disc decides to rupture AGAIN! I have been researching places in Germany but I know I would have to pay out of pocket. However, if it meant not having back pain, it would be totally worth it!