Unlimited access >

Anyone going to MA Equine Affaire?

This will be my first time going and I’m prepared for a looong day!

Have fun! Prepare for lots of walking. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve gone but we used to go every year for almost 15 years.

The clam chowder bowls are a must, IMHO. Whenever we went, it was always blustery wet COLD New England day… so dress warmly with comfortable walking shoes or boots. It’s supposed to be high 50s - unseasonably warm IMHO - so maybe you’ll get a break.

I always enjoyed the breed exhibits the most - a few of my friends are going this year but I have other commitments and won’t be able to see them. The breed barn is always fun to check out. Have a blast!

2 Likes

I’m not, I haven’t been for a few years and might have gone were it not for COVID. I’m still crowd averse and don’t want to be with that many people in close quarters… Maybe next year…

1 Like

I’m going for the first time. I’ll have my mask on, though, even though the town of Springfield doesn’t have a mask mandate.

The clam chowder sounds like a must-have!

I’m masking up too just to be safe. Are there any particular demos you plan to see?

I went every year starting in 2001 when bought my horse. A friend/fellow boarder talked me into it. It was a couple of months after 9/11 and the Fantasia was amazing. When she moved I started going with another rider whose brother’s house is about 15 minutes away. 2018 is the last year I went. Susan Harris (famous for painting horse anatomy on a horse) was at the barn in 2019 for a clinic. We also did a couple of private lessons. I love Susan and was looking forward to this year’s visit. She passed away in March and I miss her.

The thing about missing Equine Affaire is that you don’t know what you need for you or your horse until you have finished one thorough investigation of Better Living. It gets more difficult when you’ve been going for more than 15 years but there is always something you have to have.

There are plenty of people here in Maine who are wearing masks when they don’t have to.

2 Likes

It was a long two days for me, and I left corners unexplored despite the event being (I think?) a little smaller this year.

There was still plenty to do/see/buy! I was there with my eternal riding buddy for a bit of distraction and catharsis (we put down her horse on Tuesday and it’s all really raw still) and it worked well for that. Might have even learned something!

I made the drive for many years. Last time was 2019. It’s gotten worse over the years, but still has many unusual booths. Love Sarah Richards & The Krafty Equestrian. I have purchased a lot from both.
My Dad went twice and he LOVED Billys potatoes!:laughing: Enjoy- maybe next year.