Unlimited access >

Anyone Going To The National Drive This Week?

Looks like mostly great weather for the National Drive this week. Is anyone going for a day or more? It is always a good time meeting new people and driving your horse in such a nice area.

We thought we might attend, but it didn’t work out. Alyss cut her leg about the time Hawk got sound right after Labor Day. She is healing well, just a bit of cut to still close, then grow in hair. Typical “dumb horse” accident, nothing could have prevented it. Wicker did not get worked enough to be a substitute in the Pair out in public. And the HEAT just wore us out before we got everything done. Northerners do not do heat well! The last week was great, plenty of energy on 60F-70F days.

So we have been concentrating on preparing for winter. Cut up some downed trees, took down some dead trees, stacked the wood in metal baskets, hoping to sell it later. Burned the BIG brush pile because I could not throw new stuff on, it was too high! Now we have a giant ash pile. I read that wood ash is good for the land, may spread it on the hay field a bit later.

Hay is under cover, looks like plenty for winter with the second cutting. Just no room to stack it in the barns. My tractors are headed in to the hoop barn, “rump out to the weather”, because the hay wagons are taking up all the room! Still, a good feeling in being prepared.

Still have some trimming to get all weeds under control, fences HOT. I quit mowing pastures after Labor day, so they have a lot of growth for nibbling on into winter. Got the good carriage washed and stored in the carriage shed today. Husband kept thinking he would be able to drive it again before weather got bad. Didn’t work out and we NEEDED to get the carriage shed organized, vehicles covered and put away before bad weather made it impossible. Just leave out the working/training carriages out to use daily. Pulled a lot of stuff out, sorted, put in the discard pile, keep pile, labeled boxes so we don’t have to open them to learn contents AGAIN. Sorted the tack sale stuff into a pile by the middle door, which I can access more easily to load the truck. Good stuff, just not used in years. Big pile of box fans to wash and sell. Marked cheap, they should sell pretty quick. XMore space!! I bought sealed motor fans for the stalls in the barn next year. We got it done, but I need to put a small sign on the main door to “Open Slowly” because stuff is packed in pretty tight!! Ha ha That new-last-spring carvriage we bought sure used up all my extra space!

Horses are starting to blow their summer hair. Nuts are falling in quantity, squirrels should be happy over winter. You do want a hat under the Oaks! Those acorns are hard!! Time for some hair trimming, bridlepaths, ankles, under jaws, tail shortening. I think everyone’s tail is at the dragging point. That is bad when the mud starts. May do a couple manes too. The young mare looks rather feral with her length.

Wondering what winter weather will be? Farmer’s Almanac said colder and snowy. Now with El Nino, forecasters are saying drier, warmer, which sounds like last winter. Supposed to be a long, dry fall, so farmers can get crops in. Not good for the drought areas though. My ditches are mowed clean, rain can leave if we get any! Hoping to get in more driving as Wicker develops, with a nice fall ahead. Get him thinking like a driving horse with mileage before spring!

2 Likes

Waving from I-Can’tEitherland :wave::disappointed:
Bugs had a laminitic flare-up (I blame the one near-frost we had at the start of September).
He’s mostly recovered, but I cancelled for his sake.
Disappointing, but better Safe, right?

Re: Winter
The woolybears here say Mild Winter & I’m hoping they’re right. :bug:
My 3 are all putting on Winter fuzz, Bugs led, as always.
I need to roach the Walker’s mane - he’s ripped out sections grazing through my fences - Grass is always greener… :roll_eyes:
& he looks very handsome shaved close.
I’m tempted to roach Bugs as well, curious how he’d look :sunglasses:

Seriously considering selling my road cart that’s just for show.
My desire to show Pleasure is low, I’d rather CDE.
But then, I’d need it for Dressage…
No rush, just pondering.

Maybe we can GTG again at Topeka some day.

1 Like

I was laughing to myself about your comment on acorns. We have tons of them all over lawns and roads. There is no avoiding them on my bike. If I catch one with a tire, it turns into a missile. So far, I haven’t caused any damage to cars, humans or dogs. I hope not to hit anyone while there are so many acorns on the ground. Our squirrels are happy–they are eating and storing as many as they can get.

Rebecca

1 Like

So sorry neither of you can go to the National Drive, @goodhors and @2DogsFarm. I’ve always meant to go, but we are always going in the wrong direction when it happens. I must have been pretty close on our Michigan trip in August. It’s not been a big priority since I no longer have a horse.

Rebecca

1 Like

@RMJacobs I pinkyswear, if you’re ever near Hoosier Horse Park when I’m there, I’ll get you a ride with someone!
My Club members usually have room for 1 More :wink:

Thanks so much! I might take you up on that one of these years.

Rebecca

1 Like

RM Jacobs You should have hollered when in Michigan. We might have been near-by! You could have had the nickel tour of the farm and a carriage ride!

Hoping we get to attend the Drive again one of these days.

2Dogs Farm Sorry to hear about Bug’s episode keeping you home. If you roach manes now, you will have Mohawk manes by spring. The big horse should look all neat and trim, ready to braid up come spring! Bugs? His mohawk may take longer to start laying over, as thick as it is. You may really like how he looks without any mane on a nice neck! I quite liked how our horses looked when we roaches them to show.

1 Like

I’m seeing Bugs’ growout as more Trolldoll :laughing:

Both have nice necks :grin:
Horse:

Bugs (braided):

I thought about contacting you, but we were meeting people and had a rental house with them, and I didn’t want to invade your place with four people. They would have wanted to come because they are long time horse people. We’ll be back, and I’ll bug you then.

Rebecca

Crackers’ forelock was definitely troll doll. I have it around the house here somewhere, along with some mane and tail. I guess at this point I won’t do anything with it–he died in 2010.

Rebecca

1 Like

I’d make a key fob :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Can Crackers out-troll this?

RM Jacobs Well holler next time you are sort-of nearby. Maybe we can work something out then. We can do four visitors, especially if they are horsey folks! Plus I just got a set of steps for easier getting into a carriage!

Crackers rocked a similar look. But it was just his forelock–his mane usually looked like a real mane.

That is an awfully cute face!

Rebecca

1 Like

Sounds good! I have no idea if our next get together, we will go to them or they will come to us. They live near Traverse City. We wanted something off the beaten path, so they drove about two hours south to meet us. None of us ever left the rental house other than to take the kayaks out. I couldn’t participate, but the other three were on the river a lot.

Rebecca

Here is a frizzy forelock for you. This was taken in 2006.

Rebecca

1 Like

That’s a POOF!
& A darned cute pony :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
My Hackney has about 6 hairs in his forelock :roll_eyes:
& Not much mane to speak of :smirk:

I have a picture of Crackers showing some years before I bought him. He has a gorgeous, flowing forelock, mane and tail. No frizz to be found. He was being driven by a minor child, otherwise I’d post the picture. Of course that minor child has long been an adult, but still. I never posted pictures of my kid when she was a minor, and it’s a deeply ingrained habit. Of course, the kid’s mom probably posted it everywhere.

Rebecca

1 Like