Anyone going to the Paris Olympics?

Many great things to see in Paris. If I were going, I would definitely have this on my list. Beautiful!

1 Like

When folks came here to see the Olympics they basically got shuttled back and forth to the site, wasn’t a lot of daily in town site seeing. And all prices went skyrocket. If I wanted to see Paris I wouldn’t go during Olympic year

5 Likes

Waiting for LA 2028

3 Likes

I hate tourists even though I am one at times so I would never go a city when they are hosting the Olympics. I prefer to see places as they are.

2 Likes

For the most part, I am against the Olympics - lots of corruption, very costly to the local population/country, legacy sites end up unused etc.

However, I still enjoy watching the amazing athletes.

My Dad was a volunteer at the 1976 Montreal games, for the eventing portion. We had been talking about going to a World Cup Finals but he really wanted to go to Las Vegas, not its current North American location. Since he is getting older, I decided to suggest the Paris Games as our once in a lifetime trip.

What surprised me, given we are an eventing family, is that he suggested that we watch a day of the straight dressage qualifiers. I expected him to want to see the pure show jumpers. But he said, “we live close enough to Spruce Meadows, and we’ve been there - world class jumping. But we’ve never seen a Grand Prix dressage live, I think it would be a new experience to actually see these amazing pairs in the flesh.”

So yesterday I bought tickets to watch the eventing XC, the second day of dressage qualification (July 31) and a day of tennis. (The current ticketing is a bit odd and no medal-rounds are available.)

I agree that tourist stuff can be awful. That’s why I’m looking at staying in Versailles and then doing some exploring outside Paris - we’ll see what my parents want to do.

11 Likes

My poor experience of the World Equestrian Games in Normandy has made me decide not to go to the Paris Olympics.

1 Like

I will be in France then, but I will do my best to avoid going to Paris if I can help it.

@Blugal if you’re staying in Versailles, apart from the obvious visit to the palace, you might be interested in these shows:
Program of the National Equestrian Academy of Versailles | Palace of Versailles (chateauversailles.fr)

2 Likes

Wow, that sounds like an amazing family trip. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I would love to see dressage at Versailles, then spend some time in the south of France. That sounds like the perfect vacation to me.

I am! My sister won a time slot to purchase our ticket package! She is non horsey, so I hope to purchase tickets to see the Team Show Jumping or Dressage Freestyle. We attended the Team Showjumping Final at the Pan-Am games when they were in Toronto and she had a blast, so hoping for a repeat.

These tickets aren’t yet available during this phase of ticket purchasing. Believe me, I tried!

Thank you Sophie. I have already been to the chateau, and not sure what my parents’ interests will be.

For me, half the pleasure of France is the pains au chocolat :grin:

Darn! Thanks for the heads up. It might be a non-event then. Not sure how much straight dressage my sister would be able to handle. We might have to simply focus on a show-jumping event or XC portion of eventing.

There is another phase of ticket release for “individual” tickets which I presume means you can buy for one event only, not three as in the current phase. I hope, but am unsure, that the medal rounds will be included. In other words, the Dressage Team Final, Dressage Freestyle, the Eventing Show Jumping, etc.

Thanks for this! My friend and I are popping up to Paris from Bretagne for a couple days. Sat or Sun might be good days to do so. :grin:

After Olympic highs & lows, we have decided to wait and try for single tickets. The 3 event packaging is just not financially affordable for us.

Eventing XC was the most affordable ticket and likely most appealing to my non horsey companions. While I would find the dressage qualifiers entertaining, my companions likely would not and I don’t want to spend $150 euros per ticket and have very bored people.

So we shall wait & see.

YES! I’ve never been to an Olympics, and am too intimidated to try to organize the trip, so I signed up with a travel company. I just have to get myself there, and they do the rest. I can’t wait! Its going to be a sensational venue!

Can you share details of the travel company and plans?

reception@organizationunlimited.au.com It is a company in Australia. You can reach them with this email.