Unlimited access >

Anyone had a mare test positive for CEM prior to importation?

Cross-posting from Dressage…

Hi all…I’m working on importing a mare from Europe (out of Belgium). One of her CEM cultures (k. pneumoniae) came back suspect and they are reculturing. I’m told this may delay the importation process, but shouldn’t prevent her from being imported. If it turns out to be a venereal type, then she’ll have to have antibiotics to clear it up before she can leave. It sounds like it could take a month or two to clear it up.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what was your experience? Did the mare have further issues once she arrived? I have so many concerns running through my mind and would really appreciate hearing your experiences.

What country are you importing into? This will make a difference in your regulatory hurdles. It sounds like maybe the UK because they screen for Klebsiella along with CEM/Taylorella.

CEM is caused by Taylorella equigenitalis. CEM free countries like the US will not allow permanent importation of Taylorella carrier animals.

There are certain strains of Klebsiella pneumoniae that can be transmitted venereally. It sounds like this is of concern in your horse rather than true CEM/Taylorella. The K. pneumoniae can be typed to see if it is one of the venereal strains. The significance of the organism will depend on the country of import and also the sample type that tested positive. Was it an endometrial sample? Clearing a true uterine infection with Klebsiella can be a challenge, regardless of import status and would be a major concern if the mare is to be bred. Clearing a carrier state in the more external structures will not be as difficult. When you are reading about treatment and talking to vets, etc. make sure they know you are talking about Klebsiella and not Taylorella, assuming that is in fact what is going on with your mare.

The presence of other bacteria in the CEM samples can obscure the lab’s ability to detect Taylorella, which is a slow growing bacteria that requires special growth conditions. The antibiotics that would be needed to clear a Klebsiella infection can interfere with Taylorella/CEM testing and therefore there is a waiting period for reculture after treatment, which could further delay your import timeline.

1 Like