Anyone had Discectomy and Fusion surgery?

I had my last ride today…very emotional getting off. Surgery tomorrow am, wish me luck, hardest thing I have ever done…

Good luck Nadia. You’ll do fine. My understanding is that it is not complicated surgery for surgeons that do it all the time. You’ll be out of pain in no time and will just have to love your horse from the ground until the fusion is fully in place. Time will fly. Let us know how you are doing when you’re up to it.

The last ride is hard but I agree, you will not only be fine but will be better than ever. Getting rid of the pain is better than you can imagine. It was extra hard in my case because my horse is 26 but so far he seems to be waiting for me!

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7484267]
The last ride is hard but I agree, you will not only be fine but will be better than ever. Getting rid of the pain is better than you can imagine. It was extra hard in my case because my horse is 26 but so far he seems to be waiting for me![/QUOTE]

Well I understand that Laurie. My heart horse is 22 this year so it makes it hard but on the flip side my youngster is just 7 this summer so it won’t hurt him to get some more mileage with my trainer.

Gotta say- the worst part of my recovery was the 6 weeks in the collar. Could be worse though!

I was cleared to ride at 6 months, though I wouldn’t risk jumping or rough terrain.

Support group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/MYACDF/

That’s good to hear linquest. I’m hoping I can ride my super reliable 22yo at 6 months too but hold off on jumping and showing and riding my youngster until the one year mark. Did they clear you at 6 months by doing any kind of scan to see the state of the fusion or was it simply a time based decision?

Yes I’m thinking I won’t like the six weeks in the stiff collar either.

equisan- sent you a PM

I had a fusion at L5 and S1 and have gone downhill since. I will spare you the depressing details, but I will caution you to exhaust every option before a fusion. I had to give up the job I love, sold my a Ironman colt, and consider my day a success if I can shower, help my kids with homework and cook a real dinner. I feel like my surgeon outright lied to me about the risks…it has been three years since my fusion. I would NEVER do it again if I could go back in time…

I am so sorry for you Earwen…I just had my surgery 10 days ago and am doing great…It was a big decision to do it, because I was managing the pain, still able to work, and ride, but the weakness in my legs was so bad, I couldn’t step up even one stair. My future was going to be in a wheel chair, because the cord was severely being compressed and would only get worse. When I spoke to the surgeon after the 8 hr. surgery, he just said that it REALLY needed to be done. Now, I wait to see if my strength comes back. I am hopeful.

So very glad, Nadia!! I was thinking of you. Well wishes!!

Well that’s good news Nadia. I’ve got three surgeons recommended to me that I’m going to go see. I’m really hoping I’ll be a candidate for C5-6 disc replacement as that makes a lot more sense to me but we’ll see what the surgeons say.

I’m so sorry to hear about your outcome EarwenES. What is the actual problem that caused you to go downhill? Did your spine get destabilized further up? I hope someone is looking at a way to help you.

artificial disc

I had a ruptured disc at c5 /c6. Pain & nerve issues. Surgeon implanted a “Prestige” disc on a Friday, May 2010. Went home on Saturday (no collar just a bandaid on neck), Hurt a bit on Sunday, resumed normal activities on Monday. Here at 2014, I forget it’s there.

Advantages over a fusion are many but a fusion is always a future option. Once fused, can’t go back.

PM me if you want more details or have questions…

Hope all goes well for you Nadia! Don’t over do it! :). Praying your surgery is hugely successful! Google adjacent segment disease if you haven’t heard of it, hopefully it can help you avoid future problems. Best of luck!

Equisuan, I had lots of pain at the bone harvest site and back pain never went away - although there was a period initially where I thought I was getting better. As I tried to resume normal activities it just got worse and worse. SI joint dysfunction now and problems at additional levels in the spine. :frowning:

I think the hardest part was everyone - doctor, PT, absolutely raving about how great I was doing post op, I was such a great surgical candidate, etc, and then afterwards to learn of all the risks of surgery that I was never informed about…

Often times it isn’t one surgery and done. I surely wouldn’t give up if I were you. A second or third or fourth or whatever opinion to discuss options would be my next step. You aren’t that far from Baltimore, I can give you my surgeon’s info if you want to road trip.

Laurierace, can you message me your doctor’s information? I started with a pain management doc and an hoping to avoid further surgery but like you said, sometimes that’s what it takes. I understand some people do great after surgery and it sounds like there were some mitigating factors that made mine end up this way…but I would caution anyone to get a second and third opinion and be very cautious during recovery. :slight_smile:

I think it is on this thread already if you scroll up but if not I will pm when I get home. He would b.e worth the trip

I just found it, thanks!

Great, let me know if you decide to head this way.