Unlimited access >

Anyone have contact info for a CWD rep?

You could always switch to webber style stirrup leathers. No “tails” to deal with then.
I also recently saw that Correct Connect started selling a stirrup keeper for those types of leathers (which typically can’t be run up the way traditional ones can be). Honestly, you could probably just MacGyver something similar together with things around the barn.

If I were you I would be asking fitters if they can source a trashed saddle, like broken tree, for the part, and post on saddle forums, then see if an indie saddler can repair.

$1125 for what is essentially a keeper (and the magic it snaps into, but from a functional POV— a keeper). Wow, that’s something.

What is the carbon fiber on the flap supposed to do? Except break and create a situation where it costs over a thousand bucks to replace a stirrup keeper? It can’t be that durable if it broke the way it did here. What’s the point?

6 Likes

Yeah, pretty much. I can’t say this for certain, but I think the carbon fiber on the flap is just for aesthetics. I don’t think it has an actual function. The cost is absolutely ridiculous though.

1 Like

This is a good point. I’ll call the shop and see if they can replace the carbon piece with leather. That would simplify thing a lot and prevent this from happening again, since I think the ones with the full leather flap (even the 2G saddles) have a standard leather keeper.

I believe it’s supposed to keep the flap from curling up and provide some leg stability…although there is a rear block under the flap as well (which IMO essentially does nothing with this design). I think it might make a difference if you are jumping really big sticks but for most people, it’s just annoying, especially when tightening the girth. Which I think is why they now have a carbon free flap option on those saddles.

1 Like

That would make sense. I’m a 35 year old AA who will likely never jump over 3 foot. So that feature is a moot point for me. lol

That’s a really over engineered solution to a marginal problem!

1 Like

You guys are missing the obvious function of the carbon.

It’s to make it as difficult as humanly possible to tighten the girth while on horseback :joy:

I hate the carbon flap feature a lot. Love the saddle, hate the carbon.

6 Likes

I was looking at my saddle today and since the carbon piece is just basically inserted into a pocket in the flap and sewn down, I can’t see why they can’t just cut a piece of leather to go there and stitch a normal keeper on the leather. I was thinking you’d need a whole new flap at first but maybe not.

There is a lady on the east coast….I can’t recall if in SC or GA…who does some foam to wool conversions on saddles and will work with CWDs (subject to all the disclaimers about warranties). I would bet she’d have the skill to make you a new keeper piece if CWD won’t. I found her some time ago by Googling for foam to wool services as I was thinking of changing one of my saddles.

1 Like

Highline Tack does foam to wool conversions. Is that who you were thinking of?

Brittany Bird saddlery does the conversions for highline tack. Incidentally she’s one of my best friends and I’m going to go ahead and send my saddle to her. It needs new billets anyhow, so might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. I’ll report back with what we decide to do.

1 Like