Unlimited access >

Anyone have Lil Springs 2900 waterer?

I bought a new place in the fall that has these waterers in the runs attached to the stalls. As winter hit a couple of them are frozen solid, but the others are still working with no ice. I called the mfg and was told it could be the heating element or the thermostat.

I’m not a plumber or electrician. There’s no one locally that says they’ve worked on these waterers.

Anyone here had any experience with them and freezing up? Replacement parts are available but is it something I can tackle or do I call a Plumber or an Electrician?

We had those in cattle pens.
How cold is it where you are?
We get at most to -10F for a couple weeks in the worst winters.
We didn’t use the heaters, but the continuous flow valve, so there was always warm water coming in when it was very cold and troughs stayed open with cattle drinking regularly from them.

If you have any smaller tank with little or no use, it would be harder to keep from freezing.
I assume you have the ones with the small circular electric heater?

Those are easy to open the top and replace, if a defective one is the problem.
I expect you would need an electrician first, then see what one tells you they can figure is wrong?

So far this winter we’ve been below zero once. Lately it’s been 8 or 10 degrees overnight, but into the 30’s in the day. Very little snow so far.

I’ll start with an electrician and see what he says. It’s been frustrating because the previous owners haven’t responded when I’ve sent them questions. No one around here seems familiar with the brand but COTH comes through again.

Thanks.

never seen one in real life, but the heater is sold as a “drop in easy to install” opinion (several grades of heating and voltage) I assume the heater is hard wired to the electrical service… but you really should check to see how it is connected, if plugged into an outlet it would be a simple swap, hardwired is not difficult just a wire for wire change out (Turn power off first, please) The heaters are their web site are in the $90 range.

But is electrical power even reaching the heaters? and since the heaters are an opinion are they even in the units?