Unlimited access >

Anyone heard of this stallion??

Hi guys!! I have a question for you all! I have heard some great things about this stallion Jackaroo! I’ve looked him up and I did find his site, I just can’t seem to find any pictures of his offspring and other info! I was wondering if anyone on here has a foal by him/ knows someone who does or even knows the stallion!! I’m not looking to breed for a while! I’m just curious to see if any one you guys had heard about him!!

Thanks
sadiewynn1

http://www.shelbournefarm.com/stallions/jackaroo/

If I had to guess I would imagine that he hasn’t been as successfully shown as his two brothers. Check out this link: http://www.williammicklem.com/brothers-in-arms.html

and this one too… there is a full sister too, apparently!

http://eventingnation.com/home/william-micklems-winning-formula-for-event-horse-breeding/

ah, found it… he was injured and is unable to compete:

“Sadly Jackaroo was injured and will never compete,” William said, “but I believe he has a fine career ahead of him as a stallion, and the ongoing successes of High Kingdom and Mandiba can only add to his credentials.”

from: http://useventing.com/news/irishman-micklem-high-phillips-prepares-make-olympic-debut

He’s only been standing a couple of years, so foal pics would be few and far between, and none of his are of an age to compete. He seems to be a 2007, so older than I remembered. Time does fly so quickly. I remember him when he was two!, and he hadn’t started standing yet.

My advice is to get in touch with William Micklem if you are interested.

William Micklem has an incredibly good eye for event horses, decided opinions on their breeding and stallions, and, unless he’s barn blind, would never stand a stallion that wasn’t of the highest quality. If he says Jackaroo is going to be good, Jackaroo is probably going to be good. He’s been breeding for decades and has used the best Irish stallions for eventing. He’s also a very stong proponent of TB blood for event horses, and his have as much as Herr Butt’s.

1 Like

Is he standing in the US?

No, he’s in Ireland, but possibly available frozen in the US. I’m sure William Micklem would be delighted to help in any way he can. His website is listed up above, I believe, and his email address is on the website.

Bumping this back up… just curious about Jackaroo - anyone have any videos of him, or videos of his progeny? I understand he was injured (what was the nature of said injury) but there’s surprisingly little out there about him, for being stood by such a prestigious stud. He’s old enough he should be having some horses out there.

Double bump.
Spending hours fiddling on the internet since it’s 15 degrees and blowing a gale right now (and predicted for the next few days.)
I’m drooling over Jackaroo, too, for my Tb mare to get a foxhunter/all-arounder/likely-a-keeper but possibly a commercial youngster.
Does no one have any direct experience with him? I’m surprised. It seems like his US marketing team in in NJ and Florida.
Please post even if you’re only expecting a foal - I’ve not done frozen shipped - how is his motility etc.?

I looked seriously at Jackaroo, and William was incredibly helpful in his willingness to discuss him. I chose a stallion much nearer to us so I could do fresh cooled for my maiden mare, but Jackaroo would be on my (very) short list for the next foal.

[QUOTE=Hunter’s Rest;8528146]
Double bump.
Spending hours fiddling on the internet since it’s 15 degrees and blowing a gale right now (and predicted for the next few days.)
I’m drooling over Jackaroo, too, for my Tb mare to get a foxhunter/all-arounder/likely-a-keeper but possibly a commercial youngster.
Does no one have any direct experience with him? I’m surprised. It seems like his US marketing team in in NJ and Florida.
Please post even if you’re only expecting a foal - I’ve not done frozen shipped - how is his motility etc.?[/QUOTE]

We have a Jackaroo foal on its way. Our mare should foal sometime between the last week of May and first week of June this year. Our mare is RID Class One by Luke Skywalker out of a Crannagh Hero dam and we wanted to breed a traditional Irish Sport Horse this time round. Looking at what was available and Jackaroo’s bloodlines and TB percentage, we opted to breed a TIH following William Micklem’s formulas for RID to TB blood. We live in Ireland so were able to get fresh cooled. Due to travel time, the stud’s extraction schedule and mare’s ovulation period, I’d say that the first insemination was a full 24 hours from extraction if not a bit more. First try was good so we’d give a thumb’s up on motility with the footnote that statistically frozen will have that much more risk than fresh cooled.

For anyone looking at Jackaroo’s photos they can find on the web, know that they don’t do him justice. I like my horses with markings and even though he’s full bay without a bit of white, I found him very handsome when I met him at the stud where he currently stands. The full body photo that pops up in searches most often just doesn’t give you the full picture - I say that because coming from RID’s, looking at his pictures online and what I’d seen of thoroughbreds between the vet and the track, I expected something ‘petite’ compared to my mare. He was impressive, well-conditioned and powerful. Yes, he has an injury (on one of his back legs if I remember correctly) but overall, he is incredibly well put-together. And he was a big pet, not a bit of stallion attitude, which went against my stereotypes of thoroughbred temperaments. (Apologies to all my thoroughbred and racing friends!)

If you’d like, I can post photos of the foal when it arrives. We’re waiting like you to see exactly what he stamps on his babies.

[QUOTE=ClongillRose;8610208]
We have a Jackaroo foal on its way. Our mare should foal sometime between the last week of May and first week of June this year. Our mare is RID Class One by Luke Skywalker out of a Crannagh Hero dam and we wanted to breed a traditional Irish Sport Horse this time round. Looking at what was available and Jackaroo’s bloodlines and TB percentage, we opted to breed a TIH following William Micklem’s formulas for RID to TB blood. We live in Ireland so were able to get fresh cooled. Due to travel time, the stud’s extraction schedule and mare’s ovulation period, I’d say that the first insemination was a full 24 hours from extraction if not a bit more. First try was good so we’d give a thumb’s up on motility with the footnote that statistically frozen will have that much more risk than fresh cooled.

For anyone looking at Jackaroo’s photos they can find on the web, know that they don’t do him justice. I like my horses with markings and even though he’s full bay without a bit of white, I found him very handsome when I met him at the stud where he currently stands. The full body photo that pops up in searches most often just doesn’t give you the full picture - I say that because coming from RID’s, looking at his pictures online and what I’d seen of thoroughbreds between the vet and the track, I expected something ‘petite’ compared to my mare. He was impressive, well-conditioned and powerful. Yes, he has an injury (on one of his back legs if I remember correctly) but overall, he is incredibly well put-together. And he was a big pet, not a bit of stallion attitude, which went against my stereotypes of thoroughbred temperaments. (Apologies to all my thoroughbred and racing friends!)

If you’d like, I can post photos of the foal when it arrives. We’re waiting like you to see exactly what he stamps on his babies.[/QUOTE]

Did you get to see him go at all, and what type of mover was he? Best of luck with your foal!

I just wish, given his connections, they gave him more coverage – even if he is lame or unsound, a video clip of him going around would really be nice… If he is sound enough to be able to be collected, I would think he would be sound enough to be shooed around in a circle for 2-5 minutes…

If you’d like, I can post photos of the foal when it arrives. We’re waiting like you to see exactly what he stamps on his babies.[/QUOTE]

Yes, please! Considering breeding my ID mare to him. She’s by Snowford O’Donnell out of Ben Purple/Kilcolman mare.

[QUOTE=beowulf;8610246]
Did you get to see him go at all, and what type of mover was he? Best of luck with your foal!

No, we didn’t get to see him go at all. Would agree that it would be nice if they had a video clip but will be sure to post some footage of our foal moving when it arrives.

Was recently at the Cavan Equestrian Stallion Show here in Ireland and William Micklem was part of the breeding panel. I heard a lot of people discussing Jackaroo during that evening (without them knowing I had a mare in foal to him) and it was all only good things. I haven’t seen any foals at the sales by him yet but it seems other people have seen them on the ground and he’s getting good reports.

One of our neighbours runs a yard and is supposedly getting a 3YO by Jackaroo at the end of the summer. So if I get the chance, will try and get some footage of that 3YO as well to share.

Jackaroo

Hello everyone,
I was searching the web and came accross this Forum Thread. We stand Jackaroo in Ireland for the last 2 years. www.hartwellstud.com William Micklem is the owner. Jackaroo is a lovely Stallion with a super temperament. He unfortunatly injured a front Knee joint in the field as a 2/3 year old and was never competed. But his siblings speek for him and his blood lines… He did not breed many for his first 2 or 3 seasons only covering 2 or 3 per year, so for now there are very few animals of riding age. 2014 was his first year to breed more animals, they are now 2 year olds. Jackaroo breeds beautiful well made foals, with excelent movement and jump.( He is very versitile with the mares he breeds too). and his offspring have good bone and athletisism. There is a lot of talk and discussion at the moment in Ireland for Jackaroo, and the eventing breeders are very excited for the future of his offspring. We are expecting 3 foals by Jackaroo this year and i will post photos as soon as i can. We have shiped frozen semen to http://www.shelbournefarm.com/stallions/jackaroo/ for the last few years so he is available in the US through them. I hope this helps some of your questions on Jackaroo, If you have any more let me know.

Has anyone tried the frozen and if so how is it. Foals on the Ground in NA?