Unlimited access >

Anyone Here Expecting 2018 Foal(s)?

:applause:

I thought this topic fit better here than in the Breeding forum, since I’m specifically interested in our western-oriented posters. Are any of you expecting a foal (or multiple foals) in 2018? If so, tell us about them!

I’ve been committed to an in utero contract since October, but I’ve been planning for this since late 2016. My foal will be an Arabian/Quarter Horse cross (registered Half Arabian). The stallion is a perlino (EeAA), and the mare is a chestnut, so the foal will be either palomino or buckskin.

Sire’s pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shiner+dun+it
Dam’s pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sas+arielle

My goal is an all-around working western type horse. I plan to compete at breed shows in ranch riding classes (and maybe reining, if I get brave enough), along with some Stock Horse and Ranch Horse shows. Maybe some western dressage and/or cattle classes for kicks and giggles.

Our Tennessee Walker/ Quarter Horse mix might be pregnant. I’m not really sure what we are going to be doing with him/her or what they will look like. She is about 15hh so I assume that her baby will be somewhere near there. He/She will probably be a trail/driving horse. I can’t wait to see her baby, I will post pictures as soon as I can. (Might be a while) We aren’t 100% sure she is but we are about 90% sure.
Do you know if your getting a boy or girl? We are hoping for a Colt to even out our numbers. (3 girls,2 boys. For now)

According to two of the three old wives’ tale “tests” the breeder did this week, it’s a filly. But we’ll see about that. I made the mistake of wishing out loud for a filly, so I’ll probably end up with a colt. Lol.

What makes you think your mare is pregnant? Do you know how far along she is (if she is)?

She looks like it a lot. She is probably in the last few months. Maybe 9-10 months along. Mom won’t call the vet out so we will just have to wait and see. We can see her stomach move in odd ways and her stomach looks different than just a fat horse. Just out of curiosity what are those old wives tale tests the breeder did?

Does your mare live with a stallion? Or was she exposed before you bought her?

The breeder I’m working with did the “nail on a string” test (straight lines are supposed to = colt). She also looked at whether the mare had showed signs of heat during the pregnancy (no = filly, supposedly) and the fact that the mare is carrying “high” (filly, according to many). I doubt any of these things have any REAL correlation, but they’re fun to play with while we’re waiting.

She was exposed before we bought her. We don’t have any stallions any where near us so it’s unlikely it happened after we got her. And yes it is fun just to try to get some information on the baby inside. Even if it probably isn’t accurate.

1 Like

love those old bloodlines on both sides. ad a half arab with almost same old lines. bred him and had him till he passed on/ super nice trail horse, always careful and the same horse no matter how much or little he was ridden. had a mare with similar breeding and she was the same. they each had the same dam of unknown breeding but each one had an arab sire

1 Like

Thanks! I have high hopes for this little one. The dam looks and moves uncannily like the gelding I just put down two months ago, which isn’t surprising given the similarities in their bloodlines (http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/montanas+shadow). If this foal is half as wonderful as my old gelding was, I will be a very happy owner.

Love the Al Marah lines! I’ve had two fabulous purebred geldings from them. Enjoy your youngster!

1 Like

Thank you!