Unlimited access >

Anyone in New Orleans area?

I’ll probably cross post this in Off Course but since I primarily ride (very low level) dressage thought I’d start here. My boyfriend and I are tentatively looking to move to New Orleans for a year for his work (I teleworking so I can go anywhere). Of course, my first concern is where to put my horse. I’m looking to see what might be decent dressage barns (or really any barn actually, but at least with a place we can school) in the area. I hate driving so nothing an hour away from New Orleans, we haven’t looked at places to stay yet since it’s not a for sure thing but I have panic attacks driving more than like 30 or so minutes so kinda want to avoid that.

Well, most of the horse offerings are an hour away across the 24-mile Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in Covington and Folsom.

But check out the Southern Eventing and Dressage Association at sedariders.com for their list of trainers and barns in the area.

There is Equest farm in City Park, mostly hunter/jumper riders, but there are dressage trainers who travel around.

1 Like

Oh my….I just googled that Causeway. I believe I’d have a stroke trying to cross that bridge.

1 Like

And for the last several days, it’s been fogged in, so they either restrict to one lane and 45mph, or the cops actually convoy drivers in groups across all 24 miles. Drove it twice on Tuesday, and while the bridge doesn’t bother me, I sure wouldn’t want to commute across it every day. Long drive with nothing to look at but water.

1 Like

I’m in Hancock County, MS, just east of New Orleans and Slidell. There’s not much barn wise here, especially for dressage. I’m very lucky that my barn is 5 minutes from my house. But I haul over to Folsom for lessons with my trainer at least monthly. Like yaya said, unless you’re at City Park, the vast majority of barns are on the North Shore. SEDA is great resource!

1 Like