Unlimited access >

Anyone know about Danone I (DeNiro/Weltmeyer)

I almost bought a Danone mare (and honestly, still kick myself that I didn’t). Prior to purchase I did a fair bit of research about his offspring. Some things to note: they have a tendency to be taller rather than not, and he typically didn’t seem to be particularly modern. Some could even seem somewhat on the shorter legged side compared to their body, but still fairly (to really) substantial horses (both in bone and build - not super refined/narrow). The one I almost bought (and the ones that I had researched) all had great character - very ridable, good temperament, not necessarily dead headed but very reasonable. I quite like him and am holding onto him as a consideration to breed to in the future for my own mare, based on my experiences with them and what I have been able to learn from others who also have horses by Danone.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! Yes that is super helpful. My mare is 50% TB so is on the lighter, leggier side. The main things I want to improve on her are build (she’s lighter than I’d prefer) but maintain her impeccable trainability. Her pages are ideal for me so I’m not looking to add any “fancy” - of course, a great hindleg and uphill tendency never hurts too.
Id actually just like a clone of her but seems that’s not possible 😂

Hi Dressage_Wish I am also in Aus, I also have a 50%TB mare that I want to clone and I’m also looking at Danone 1 !! How did you go? Did you end up doing getting your mare in foal and if so who did you use?

Hi Sambo,

I actually ended up snapping up a fantastic rising 2yo while looking for a 3-4yo; so have held off a year or two so I have enough gap. My mare is only young so no huge rush.

I’m still waving between Danone & De Niro himself; I may end up just going De Niro given I love everything he throws. So much decision making to do!

1 Like

Hi just joining this thread! i am interested in buying a yearling by Danone 1, it looks like a few people are recommending him as a stallion. Does anyone else have any thoughts/feedback on the types of horses he tends to produce? Appreciate the dam has a big influence too! Any thoughts gratefully received thanks :slight_smile: