Unlimited access >

Anyone know dressage/jumping/eventing barns near Ramstein afb/Kaiserslautern Germany?

Moving to Germany and I am looking to continue riding and hopefully showing there! If you have any contacts or info on Barns near Kaiserslautern Germany or Ramstein Air Force base please share! Also if you can tell me some things about showing, eventing, or riding in Germany compared to the U.S. That would be much appreciated! I already have expirence eventing, and showing I just am looking to find a barn as we are moving. Thanks!

Not sure there are barns as such, think they have Riding Clubs that effectively provide the horses, tuition etc. I know an active rider in Germany, I can ask her.

I worked at Ramstein for nearly 4 years. I initially boarded at a scary backyard kind of place that I wouldn’t recommend to anyone. We ended up at Rothenburgerhof (http://www.rothenberghof.de/new/index.php) This worked great! We were there nearly 3 years, and loved it. There were several other Americans boarding/riding there, and several of the staff/managers/instructors spoke decent English. The owner showed upper level jumpers, there was a good dressage instructor there, and a small school program, as well as a few indpendent instructors coming in. A large facility, with 5 barns, a very large outdoor and good sized, well-lit indoor. Trail access was good and the only real negative was the lack of good turnout (only a few paddocks available, and in the winter, just 1-2 dirt/mud lots). They have a horse show there every year with some great demonstrations. I kept 3 horses there, and the care was very good with the exception of them often forgetting to feed supplements. I’m happy to provide more information or answer specific questions, if you have any. I left Germany about 4 years ago, but still have friends (FB, etc) who ride/board there, so I can get current info if you need it.

I will say, I felt I needed to own a horse to ride seriously there. School lessons were very elementary). I did show (jumpers primarily, some dressage) the last 2 years or so I was there, and had a blast. Most of the shows are very nearby, 1-day affairs. I really did need to buy my own trailer to compete, as it wasn’t the US style of a barn all going/showing together. But good deals could be found on German Ebay :slight_smile: As for horse shopping, I got lucky and found several good horses there. I was initially taken advantage of (see reference to scary backyard barn, above) but my last few horses were awesome. I can recommend a dealer (in every sense of the word, so be careful) who had some great horses coming in regularly, if you are intersted in purchasing.

1 Like

Karis,
Please check your PMs.

Are you bringing your own horse and need a place to board, or do you need a place where you can get horse & lessons?
My parents live in the area, my dad teaches in a barn that is 10min down the road from the AFB, very nice private barn, not a boarding place per se but single units available. Clear focus on eventing.

I don’t own a horse so I would need lesson horses to ride and I can possible lease one too. Could you email me at kjohnsonhorses@gmail.com some information? Like the name, maybe prices, about the facility, etc. I’m excited now cause I haven’t found any barns with all three phases (eventing)!

I don’t own a horse so I would need lesson horses to ride and I can possible lease one too. Could you email me at kjohnsonhorses@gmail.com some information? Like the name, maybe prices, about the facility, etc. I’m excited now cause I haven’t found any barns with all three phases (eventing)!

[QUOTE=Maren;8191707]
Are you bringing your own horse and need a place to board, or do you need a place where you can get horse & lessons?
My parents live in the area, my dad teaches in a barn that is 10min down the road from the AFB, very nice private barn, not a boarding place per se but single units available. Clear focus on eventing.[/QUOTE]

Can you pm me some more information about your barn? Thanks so much!

Can you recommend a dealer that sells 5to 6 year olds without breaking the bank? 4horses4

@4horses4, I bought most of my horses from sale barns, and one that was for sale in my barn.
For the sale barns, I used one up north, towards Hannover that I can’t recall the name of, but I got two horses (including one who was my heart horse for years) from Mueller sporthorses. (google mueller sportpferde and it should come up). He had a fairly quick turnover, and a wide range of types from greenies to more proven horses. But costs weren’t crazy.
I also looked at their national horses-for-sale sites and we planned a road trip to go try the 4-5 that looked most promising, including both sale barns and private sellers. I’m lucky that my husband is German, so he was able to set everything up and communicate with the sellers. It would have been tough if I’d been solely working on my own.

2 Likes

@Karis: Do you still need info on riding/showing in germany? If so, feel free to contact me. I’m from Germany and show myself.