Unlimited access >

Anyone living with an epileptic dog?

My young husky/shep/lab (turning 3 in Feb) had a seizure the week before Christmas. As far as we know, he didn’t get into anything toxic. It lasted about 2 minutes. The blood work came back all normal. We don’t really have any answers, but the vet suspects epilepsy, and said we can start on medication if he has more seizures.

It was a tremendously stressful event (I thought he was dying right in front of me) and of course I worry about another seizure occuring when no one is here with him. He’s rarely alone because my husband works from home but we just can’t have eyes on him 24/7/365.

I would love to hear from others with experience in managing a dog with this condition (including how you manage your own anxiety about it!) . Thanks

I don’t have personal experience but there are a number of Facebook groups devoted to this and some are even breed specific. My breed has one and it’s a resource to owners dealing with a symptomatic dog, as well as breeders looking to find ways to eliminate it in the breed. It’s likely you’ll get a much deeper pool of resources there than here, where you find people with varying types of dogs who have seizures, not just epilepsy.

So sorry you are experiencing this. In many cases it can be managed with medication.

I’ll take a look for these. Thanks!

My dog who is passed now had seizures. Started at 8 months until he died at 8 years old. I opted not to medicate and just watch for severity. The medication can be very hard on their liver over time.

I always used the bathroom as the safe space so if a seizure starts I would carry or walk him to the bathroom and lay down blankets and towels, and turn the light off.

Once in a blue moon he would have one outside which was always scary if he was far away and I would have to run to him to make sure he didn’t get hurt flopping over.

He had them every 6 months but at the end they were becoming more frequent.

He lived an otherwise normal life and it was hard to watch these happen but he never seemed bother by them.

Pic of my good boy Broo Broo

10 Likes

Our French Bulldog had epilepsy --we chose not to medicate --he would lose focus, stiffen, then collapse. The kids or I would wrap him in a blanket or towel and take him to a bedroom or his crate where it was dark and quiet. Never lasted more than a minute or two. He was fine after. Lived to be 14-15 —died of liver cancer. We thought that stress and loud noises triggered him --but hard to tell –

1 Like

My big mutt, Scout, had his first seizure at about age 2, and our vet said that was often the age when idiopathic seizures begin in dogs.

His tests all came back normal and since his seizures have remained so infrequent (every 1-2 years), I have also declined to medicate for them.

They are terrifying to see and it’s hard to not touch him when he’s having one, but he recovers quickly afterwards. The worst part is that he loses control of his bladder most times, leaving a mess on the couch or rug to be cleaned up after he’s awake.

With any luck, your dog may never have another seizure, or there may just be a few over the lifetime. Jingling that this is the case! But there are also inexpensive, effective meds to use if needed.

1 Like

I had a Newfoundland that had epilepsy for the last 6 years of his life. Most valuable thing I did was create a dog proof room for him. Used one of my small bedrooms that had a dog bed on the floor and food/water and a dutch door. This was to ease my anxiety when leaving the house so I knew if he had an episode he wouldn’t fall off furniture or down a set of stairs etc.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Yes, it is hard not to touch them… I thought my dog was dying and I was petting him when the thrashing around was stopping… and he bit me. He was right out of it, possibly blind at the time. It was awful, but lesson learned on the DONT TOUCH.

It’s good to hear he lived a pretty full life!

A very handsome guy for sure!

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear this @saultgirl, I can only imagine how hard it must have been to see.

I have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and epilepsy is very common in the breed. My girl is just over 1 year now and she has been ok, but I’m very careful on what she gets for vaccines and flea/tick treatment as they can be triggers.

I work for a vet pharmacy and we compound meds for vet clinics. I can tell you one of our largest sellers is epilepsy meds, so there are a lot of dogs that have epilepsy and are doing well on the medications (we sell quite a few different ones).

Hope it was a one off for you pup <3

I had a labX suddenly start with seizures at 3 and we never knew why . We did put her on Phenobarbital after she had 4 in a 24 hour period that one day . I weaned her off pretty quickly as they made her a neurotic mess and she was seizure free for the next 7 years.

Just before she succumbed to cancer , she did start having them again very occasionally .

My dog developed idiopathic seizure disorder Seizure of unknown origin/epilepsy) later in life. I did medicate at vet suggestion once they happened once/month which didnt take very long. Her first one was triggered by extreme excitement. She was already about 11 or 12 yo and I had no idea what was happening. I had taken the dogs on a bit of a wilderness vacation, rented a cabin on the lake, private 5 acres woods etc. Her and my younger dog were having a blast ripping up and down the bluff from the cabin to the lake and back when suddenly she dropped out of view. Other dog still bouncing but no sign of her so I went up the bluff to check it out and found her collapsed and foaming at the mouth. Jesus! I was like omg pupper what’s wrong, and she GROWLED at me and looked like she’d never seen me before. I ran and put other dog in the cabin and went back. She was fleeing down the trail, I pursued calling her name, baby girl baby girl (not her name, but you get it). She fled like I was a monster, what else could I do but pursue slowly, this was miles of woods and wildnerness. She fled to the dock and looked like she was going to jump off. I sat on the ground, I had no idea what to do and I was alone. She jumped in the lake and swam straight away from shore. Fuck my life I emptied my pockets, took off my shoes and jumped in after her. I swam I don’t know how far out and thought this is how people drown. I took a lifesaving class in high school that was useful here, finally caught up to her in the middle of the lake, grabbed her, I knew she might bite me but dear god what else are you going to do? Watch your dog drown?? Thankfully as I was grabbing her in the water I saw her eyes change and she suddenly knew who I was again and I turned us both over on our backs and backstroked us back to shore.

I carried her to the cabin and she NEVER EVER went off leash again the rest of her life. She didn’t have another seizure for 6mo after that and it wasn’t until she had another that I truly grasped what happened that day at the lake. But then they started coming frequently and multiple meds and increased doses and it was the beginning of the end. We did end up controlling the seizures ok but her live failed in the end and she went jaundice in about 5 days, no more eating, and that was that.

She would seize at night, about 30 min before bed time. They got worse and lasted longer as it progressed and her recovery took longer. She wouldn’t know who I was immediately after and for several minutes. My other dog was aggressive towards her during a seizure, that is a concern to watch for.

An ice back applied to the lower back during a seizure can help stop the seizure or shorten its duration and speed recovery. I learned it on the internet and tried it and it does work. I would always sit with her during a seizure.

Good luck and I’m sorry.

Time the seizures and time the recovery, track it and keep a record. You may discover triggers or some rhythm or predictability to the seizing. It helps you cope.

I have two seizure dogs. Rescues. I use the low glutamate diet to support them. They went from regular seizures to very rare. If one does happen, like once a year now, I use the occipital method for stopping it.
Heard about it, and watched a YOUTUBE video to learn how to do it. Anyway, rather than cooking the food, I started searching for raw food companies that contained the ingredients talked about in the study. I live in Canada so the two companies I use are BOLD BY NATURE, and PETS GO RAW. Chicken or lamb only. Basic ingredients. I then squirt a dime size of MCT oil onto the meal. I buy my MCT oil from Walmart. Nutiva. Anyway, this approach has been working. Took about a week to 10 days then results were very evident. Hope this info helps.