Unlimited access >

Anyone make their own saddle soap?

Some of you may know the other half of my family owns cattle. Last summer, we made our first unscented bar soap from left over tallow. People (and dogs, apparently) love it and we sell it at the farm stand along with the beef.

I’d like to dip my toe into making saddle soap too. Most of the recipes online seem to take existing soap bars and mix them with water, a fat or wax product, and an oil product. Has anyone done this at home? Any tips for a first-timer?

Additionally, any scents COTHers think would be popular with the horse crowd?

Closest I’ve come was dehydrating liquid Murphy’s Oil. I prefer the gel & it’s disappeared from the market.

For ideas for your soap, check the Higher Standards site. She’s on COTH - can’t recall her username.
Her product gets rave reviews.

& I volunteer to be a Beta Tester for your product :grin:

2 Likes

As someone who is super sensitive to smells, I would LOVE for you to offer an unscented version!

4 Likes

I am surprised you are not aware of Higher Standards, https://www.hsleathercare.com/index.html. She is (was?) a poster on this forum who created her own line of leather care products and its now a very successful business. I’m not sure if Higher Standards is the name she posts under or not, in fact it has been quite a while since I’ve noticed a post by her but I’m not on the forums myself very often anymore.

I forgot to mention, her products are really excellent and she has some very nice scents. I think she posts on the eventing forum too.

3 Likes

O, I love Higher Standards, I think her handle here is Bensmom… I just understand that these things can be a bit proprietary and for good reason!

P.S @Jo I have to be honest tallow soap has its own scent. The first time we made a batch we left it unsupervised and a dog tried to eat the soap… it does initially smell like tallow.

1 Like

You’re right, her name is Bensmom. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve made saddle soap using glycerin and cream. I used essential oils to scent some of it and gave it away for Christmas presents.

All in all, it wasn’t worth the time and effort for me. It works fine, and I really like the bergamot scented one but nothing great to write home about.

That said, my sister made people soap out of goat’s milk and that was simply wonderful.

YMMV

1 Like

We have goats too, though not for meat… Hmmm. You might be onto something!

I’m not in love with the bars we’ve made so far. Tallow is hard and does not lather well – a bonus for leather but not human skin. Since it looks like most of these recipes call for existing soaps to be shaved down, I may just use the ugly or non-saleable bars and keep the perfect bars for the shelves.

We’re not really looking to turn a big profit on this, it’s really more a way to process the existing tallow and go one more step towards offering more items at the farm stand.

So far, a few scent ideas that have been popular with those involved in the soap making besides an unscented version:
oat & honey
coconut lemon
green tea & ?? (rosemary? bergamot? grapefruit? pear?)
coffee & blueberry

There is a farm in my area that makes all kind of products from goat’s milk, they are wonderful. I love the soap.

Beowulf, I vote for rosemary scented, it is my favorite. I buy Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo sometimes just because it smells so good.

1 Like

Lemon. I love citrus-y scents. I also love the earthy scents such as lavender and patchouli.
I’ve gone down a rabbit hole on Etsy lately looking for certain scented items and people come up with all kinds of combinations. Maybe peruse that for ideas?

1 Like

I love the saddle soap from HorseTech.com. It is handmade with goat’s milk and citrus. You can get into small, tight places without getting everthing soaked. I have a 20+ year old Albion dressage saddle, a special order I found on consignment when it was new. I rode 6 days a week. I like the way this soap works. I rarely need to use conditioner The saddle still looks beautiful.

1 Like

Something that fights mold like the teatree oil in Oakwood from Australia. I don’t like the smell but it seems to help a bit.

1 Like

I use Dr Bronners, it’s Castile soap. Lavender scent. It does an excellent job on leather.

1 Like

I know someone who uses an electric toothbrush to get into those tiny crevices.

2 Likes

:bulb: :bulb: :bulb:!!

1 Like

I just wanted to update this as I’ve been playing around with recipes. I’m shaving down the QC tallow soap bar rejects – the bars that didn’t shape up well or have blemishes. They form the base of two products I’m making - a tallow cream soap, and a tallow butter balm.

Cured tallow soap is somewhat hard to melt down once it’s aged. And it’s tricky because adding water can make the end product go rancid in a few months. I’ve been trying crock pot and double boiler method.

The saddle soap cream is a mix of tallow soap, water, coconut oil, and a small amount of beeswax. I add peppermint oil to it. It does not suds up the way traditional bars do but leaves a streak free shine. You boil the water, add the tallow soap, melt down, add beeswax, melt down, add coconut oil and fully emulsify. For this step I may buy an immersion blender as my last several attempts still had bits of unmelted tallow. Strain into a mason jar or squeeze bottle, add peppermint oil once it’s not blistering hot, and allow to set.

The butter balm is way more fun to make. Shave down tallow soap (base) and a little castile soap (for shine), put in double boiler with a few tbs of water to prevent burning. Mix often. Add coconut oil (conditioner), vegetable oil(or a different oil of your choice) and beeswax (conditioner), melt on low heat, mix often. Take off heat and add oil/scent of your choice - I did cinnamon and orange because that’s what I had on hand. Transfer immediately to a jar because it sets fast. One thing I noticed with this is, it sets and cracks.

Here’s some photos of the end results - I should have taken before photos, both of these tack items were rescued from the trash bin and in poor shape:

Tallow cream soap:

Leather after using TCS & the butterbalm (spoon is the butterbalm):

All in, making the tallow soap itself is way more labor intensive than making the cream soap and balm.

6 Likes

@Bensmom

1 Like

Thank you for saying all the nice things!

I’m still here, and still making Higher Standards in our kitchen!

Beowulf, we came up with our recipe by experimenting too. I’ve not worked with beef tallow, but playing around with different things is the best way to find a recipe that will be the right mix of labor intensive to effectiveness.

Have fun with it! I made mine for 9 years before some of my pro rider friends encouraged me to sell it. Now my DH does all the manufacturing and shipping. It’s been a lot of fun, even. If it hasn’t made us rich or replaced my day job!

Libby

1 Like