Unlimited access >

Anyone one ride side saddle here?

I am having my first lesson on Monday and am super excited. Also bored, I have done a lot of different style of riding in my years so it was either saddle seat or side saddle and I figure I can hunt side saddle (perhaps). Looking for some resources.

1 Like

Former side-saddle rider and side-saddle fox hunter here —there are many on line resources - including an active FB group or two. Do approach with caution (as with all horse endeavors) --thoroughly check out clinicians and side-saddle repair persons and habit makers —just because someone says they are (and may even believe they are) doesn’t make that person an expert. I have occasionally attended clinics despite the fact that I no longer ride aside, only to realize a few minutes in, the person is self-taught and has some misconceptions . . .there are some repair people who, though well meaning, are less than skilled at fixing old side-saddles (personally think you are better off buying new --more costly but much safer!) and then there are the habit makers --you really need a tailor not a seamstress --and there is a lot of bias work in a side-saddle habit. It must hang just so --anyway, find a good FB group —

I no longer ride aside because I no longer have a horse that is suitable, and I gave away my saddle and habit to a younger fox hunter --she’s still trying to have that saddle repaired (it’s over 100 years old, told her it would be better to sell and put $ toward a new one) and a habit made --supposedly “someone in England” is making her one --but it’s been two years . . .she still isn’t riding aside.

FYI I have made two side-saddle habits (one for me and one for a “friend” who still owes me for hers, sigh, different story) —about half way through the process, the person needs to SIT ON THE HORSE with the SADDLE ON so that the fit/darts/hem can be perfect . . .if you are not asked to do that, I question the integrity of the work.

5 Likes

A bit outside of the box, there are disciplines that have incorporated side saddle into the show/rail classes that may be a resource. For example, the Arabian Horse Assoc has a side saddle competition division - English and Western. (I’ve seen photos of some really stunning western habits)

I hunted for years behind a MFH that rode aside and got to ride aside a number of times, both on the flat and over fences for fun.
Recently I sat in a friend’s “new” side saddle and the construction and design of the saddle was really off. The fixed head pommel and lower pommel were set at a funny angle and put my right leg too far forward and out of position. In your lesson, you should be able to pull back on your right calf muscle to secure yourself into the saddle. If it’s too far forward, you won’t get that “secure, I’m not going anywhere feeling.”
Have fun in your lesson!

2 Likes

I’ve never tried riding aside, but happened to come across what’s billed as an “antique sidesaddle” on a local FB group if anyones interested. (Not mine)
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/216350507826711/