Unlimited access >

Anyone Recovered from salmonellosis?

On April 21, my horse was admitted for suspected medical colic. He had salmonellosis and was hospitalized for over two weeks. He survived (barely) 5-6 days of water hose diarrhea. He got slightly endotoxic. Hooves were iced the entire time. He thrombosed one jugular.
They did a healthy fecal transfer of day 5 of diarrhea and things started to change for better.
He was discharged on May 4 and I’ve been his sole caregiver in an empty barn with an overgrown paddock, 30 minutes drive from my house.
Twice a day I’ve been caring for him. It’s exhausting mentally physically and emotionally. (Is there a category for mental health?). I’m learning everything as I go and feel overwhelming all the time.
We think he’s got a thrombophlebitis as he started having trouble grazing to the ground. I also think the paddock grass is too much for him or exacerbating the thrombophlebitis. He’s currently on 1/2 G bute twice a day, and sucralfate, and omeprazole.
His poops are soft but not cow pie. My latest stress is they had gotten huge in volume and now decreased to a normal size but I’m freaking at the sudden change.
I had done some fecal submissions for culture testing about two weeks ago, but mixed results. Will start submitting again this weekend. Praying for negative so at very least I can move him back to boarding barn.
I’m looking for hope. Who’s recovered a horse from this? How long?

I don’t have any advice or experience with your situation but wanted to bump your thread in hopes someone on this amazing board can help you.

Your Danny is a lucky boy to have such a caring, wonderful Mom and he knows how much you love him.

2 Likes

Thank you. It’s been a very tough couple of months and I’m hoping to connect with somebody else who has gone through this. So thanks for the bath and the super kind words

Similar situation. Horse had colic surgery , then while recovering, vet hospital had salmonella outbreak and he tested positive. Has had no symptoms the entire time. Also in an empty barn with stall attached to small paddock. I am doing most of care, he is 40 minutes away and go every day ( down from two a day in beginning). He has completely recovered from the surgery but just tested positive again in two out of five samples. It is exhausting, discouraging, and I feel so bad for my horse. I have two more weeks at this barn, then I have to move no matter how he is testing and I have nowhere to go if he is positive again. No one wants a horse with salmonella.

1 Like

Girl…… I am with on this journey. :woozy_face:
We should connect offline.

I was literally in the same situation 10 days ago. I posted on Facebook about needing a place and asked people to share the post. I listed minimum requirements. Someone connected me with a new BO that runs a half full retiree barn. I moved over the weekend.

Health wise my boy is fragile and a mess and now being treated for presumptive ulcers with sucralfate misoprostol GastroGuard and Metamucil.
It’s so much! So now he hates his grain :unamused: