Unlimited access >

Anyone ride in an Albion jumping saddle?

I’m on the search for a new saddle for my mare. Due to her being quite particular about how her saddle fits I have decided to go with a wool flocked saddle so that I get get the best fit possible. Its been reccommended to me to try the Albion K2 jumper saddle (and its in my price range). Does anyone have this saddle? How do you like it? Is there another model/brand that you like better? I’m making a switch from hunters to low level eventing this year, so for now I will be using one saddle for all three phases. I should also mention that I am fairly short (5’ 2").

I’ve ridden in one and liked it very much. It’s probably about 8 years old now so I don’t know how the new models compare. The 2010ish Collegiate Nobility was created to mimic the K2 and that’s what I ride in now.

It’s great- it’s like an armchair and really locks you in securely!

I loved my old Albion Kontrol, but never liked the K2. I also think you can ride in pretty much anything at the lower levels. I am also short (5’3"). I love my Wise-Air monoflap, but I would also recommend that you have Annette from Hastilow out to do a fitting http://www.hastilowusa.com/custom-fitting.html. She has new and used saddles at great prices http://www.hastilowusa.com/second-hand-sales/close-contact-and-jump-saddles.html and represents several manufacturers (all wool flocked) including Hastilow, Ideal, Kent and Masters, and Black Country.

I have an OLD Kontrol. Its really comfortable and very well made. I am tall and long-legged and it really does not fit my leg at all, but otherwise its a lovely saddle. I’d definitely look into another Albion (with a more forward flap next time!).

I love my K2! I got it three years ago and it’s very secure and comfortable for me. Love the fact that although it’s not truly a custom, it was made based upon my horse’s measurements and my leg measurements, and tweaked from the get go for a perfect fit.

I’ve had several K2 jumpers and been very pleased with them. I have one at home now that is cleaned and ready to be photographed to put it up for sale, and I just can’t make myself do it. I have really loved that saddle, and have no one that it fits now, but I would hate to let it go, just in case . . . :lol:

But, it will really depend on what you like and how the saddle sits on the horse. I have loved it on two different horses, but I also know people like scubed that didn’t like it at all.

The best thing you can do is to get your hands on one and sit in it and see what you think!

Happy Shopping!

I have a Kontact Lite that I really like. My friend’s K2 doesn’t fit my leg very well, but I’m 5’9 . . .

I have an Albion Showjumper that I’ve not ridden in since 2006. I still have it for a reason but, like Bensmom, may be taking a more practical/realistic action in the near future. I have loved every Albion I’ve ever ridden in. I think the medium twists are typically accommodating to anyone whose pelvis trends on the anterior-tilt side of the posture equation, as they facilitate a more open/laterally rotated hip which, in turn, activates the deep abdominals to stabilize the pelvis (and femur) in a more neutral, balance-friendly position.

http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/saddlefitting.htm - this link provides a very easy-to-comprehend anatomical explanation for saddle twist preferences. Definitely consider this as you’re shopping.

5’9" here with a long femur and my K2 fits fantastic. I did go up on the seat size to an 18 to accommodate my leg and I feel really secure in it. I ride a lot of different horses (warmbloods and Tbs) and it has fit almost every one of them.

Mine is about 4 years old and showing a little wear and tear but it gets used a lot. Definitely spend some time in any saddle before you buy, most places have a test ride program.

I rode in a Kontrol (I think) for a few months a year or two ago. I liked it and felt pretty comfortable in it, but I did pull all the blocks off, as it was far too much saddle for my taste WITH the blocks. It didn’t fit my horse well, and I did have some struggles with my position in it, but they were nit picky issues, not stability issues.

I’m 5’3" with short legs but VERY long from hip to knee. It was nicely forward enough for me. If you aren’t long in the femur, it may be too forward.

There are lots of wool flocked options, in a similar price point. Scubed mentioned several. I ultimately ended up with a County (Conquest) that I adore.

I hated the K2 Jumper with a passion – felt like I was trapped in it. I now own an older Kontrol (not sure how old, sorry). I don’t love it, but it fits my horse extremely well so I’ve kept it for hunting and most of my day to day riding. I have an Amerigo CC for show jumping that I love but doesn’t fit him quite so well (no back soreness but it’s not ideal).

The Kontrol is ok, but I find a few things that I don’t like: the pommel rises quite sharply, which I notice if I do lots of walking (like on a trek). The seat is definitely a half seat, not a flat seat. I don’t have the same security in my lower leg that I do in the Amerigo if we’re jumping a bigger fence. It’s easier to end up in a chair seat vs the Amerigo (this is also positional laziness on my behalf!)

Things that I do like: it’s comfy for a 3-4hrs of hunting. It’s pretty hard wearing. The twist is great.

FYI I’m 5’6 and have short-ish legs for my height.

I just got a used K2 several months ago and I love it! I am 5’8", and it is an 18" witha fairly forward flap. It takes up my leg wonderfully. I love the way I can sit down on the big moving horse I ride, and it helps me to stay secure.
However, I would not want to do dressage in it. It is a jumping saddle and not so comfy fo me to sit the trot in.

I have one and love it. I am also 5’2". I rode in both it and the konteol, prefer the k2. Nice observation, Robby Johnson, I do have anterior tilt to my pelvis.

Pkn

Thanks for all the help guys! I feel a bit more confident about trying out this saddle. I had read a few reviews that said the K2 was not good for someone short (although I do have a long femur), and I had also read that the seat was hard as a rock. I am going to have a fitter come out so that I can try the saddle out, and make sure it fits my horse. I’ve tried a million foam flocked saddles and havent found one that truly fits her, so here’s hoping a wool flocked saddle is the answer!!

I find that a lot of the British made/type saddles have hard seats when compared to the squishy French made/type saddles. But, like I’ve always said, your butt isn’t meant to be in the saddle on xc, so it really shouldn’t matter :winkgrin:

This is going to be my only saddle so I need it to be comfortable enough for long trail rides also, that was my only concern about the seat being hard. But I guess I could always use a seat saver if its too hard. :slight_smile:

It will break in with wear. I find mine very comfortable, but my fanny is not used to being pampered in French saddles!

Can you try one before buying?

Softness is relative. I grew up in ancient Stubben/Passier types, then had a couple Berney Brothers (all way harder). But cushy French saddles they are not.

Double post