Unlimited access >

Anyone ride with achilles tendinitis?

I developed achilles tendinitis last year and managed to calm it down with stretching, ice and wearing only snug footing boots while riding and doing chorse/walking. It is flared up again and the boots I was using are not doing it anymore. Has anyone one here dealt with this succesfully? If so, what have you done for it and what do you wear for riding /walking?

I found using kinesiology tape on my achilles for support really helped during flare ups. My favorite riding boots irritated it so I sometimes had to wear a swede brace while riding. As soon as I was done riding, I would take those riding boots off and put on my tennis shoes or whatever was comfortable during that time. Stretching really helped too. As for a specific shoe to recommend, that is really up to you but I wear Ariats for riding and Keds for tennis shoes in my barn. The other shoes I found that were comfortable were Propets. Hope that helps. The pain can be quite bad with achilles tendinitis. Hope you start to feel better soon.:slight_smile:

@quiacato I have Achilles tendinitis and had achiles repair surgery. Before surgery I used brace in ariat ankle boot. Now I just tape or wrap if bothering me. I found brace was best for me when tendonitis flared when walking or riding. Good luck!

I don’t have Achilles tendinitis but I have peroneal tendonosis which I suspect is from my improper heel/ foot position throughout my youth. (Had a trainer that didn’t know what she was talking about insist that my foot needed to be parallel with my horse’s body when it naturally was pointed slightly out like it’s supposed to.) But the stirrups with the wide footbed help me out a lot and jointed stirrups are an absolute no-no. My tendons can’t take the movement from the jointed ones but the ones with the flat footbed help absorb the shock. Also my doctor told me that my issues are from my tendons being constantly OVER stretched so stretching it will actually make it worse and I’ve found this to be accurate. Resistance training has helped me strengthen them but I would not stretch them if they’re sore.