Anyone riding without their ACL?

I have a completely torn ACL, microfactures, and bone bruising. Dr said some people can rehab and do without their ACL. I’ve talked to some fellow riders who have had ACL surgery and a few riding without. I would love to hear stories and opinions about riding without your ACL. I ride Dressage but my horses are young and coming off unexpectedly is a possibility. I just started PT. I also like to hear from people who have ad successful ACL surgery and are happy with the results. How soon were you back to riding? Thanks for any feedback on this topic!!

My daughter may be riding without her ACL. She hurt her knee about 5 years ago, pulling off the piece of bone that attaches the ACL to the tibia. The orthopedist wanted her to have an ACL replacement, although he did mention that he is a competitive cyclist and doesn’t have an ACL.

My daughter works full time and rides daily. So far, her knee is fine. She didn’t have time to do the surgery and rehab without missing a year of school. Now, she is glad she didn’t do the surgery. She wore a knee brace for 6 weeks and then went back to all of her normal activities.

Sorry to hear about your injury :frowning: I did the same thing, total ACL rupture, bone bruising and mild MCL damage in Mar 2010. Rode (hunters/jumpers) after 6 weeks of intense physio. Decided to have the surgery in the fall and am happy withnthe decision. Please PM if you want more info!

I’ve had both ACLs reconstructed … the right one was allograph (with a meniscetomy [sp?]) in 1989 and the left one an autograph (just 3 months after I tore it) in 1999.

I did try rehabbing and riding “without” the left ACL, but I didn’t feel secure with my strength or what felt like the inability to fully use my leg. I was not a very accomplished rider, although I did baby eventing.

Add to that the damage done to my right ACL by “using” it for three years without the ACL (I fell down a lot because my knee gave out and that’s how the meniscus got torn) … I just opted for the surgery.

I think if given the choice, I’d probably choose an allograph again. It was much more painful to rehab, since the patella tendon was used, but today feels strong and secure. The left one, where I was walking on my own steam the day after surgery (but still couldn’t ride for 5 months) now pops and feels a little “loose”.

If you’re going to stay fit for life and always at the top of your game, and ride effectively from your seat, I think it’s possible to ride without an ACL.

I tore my ACL completely in 1998 (left knee, in a collision with my playful Irish Wolfhound) and never had it repaired. I’ve had ups and downs—first, a long recovery and a lot of time on crutches, then a period of relative stability.

In 2000, I fancied myself a jogger and blew out the knee again. At that point, I went back to an orthopedic surgeon who recommended surgery and said he’d NEVER seen such a loose joint that was still being walked on. He strongly advised me to get it fixed, but I chose not to after having witnessed a friend’s painful and unsuccessful recovery from surgery. As an alternative, he said I needed to make a committed effort to building muscular strength around the joint.

In 2002, I tried to do some bicycling. That hurt and I spent a few more weeks on crutches.

In 2003, I blew it out again.

In 2009, I got butted in the other leg by a hungry goat. Damaged (but didn’t tear) my MCL (right knee). Another month on crutches.

My menisci are trashed in both knees and I sound like a bowl of rice crispies when I walk but I lead a normal life. I can ride, though I’m not riding enough to comment on whether I could be competitive in the dressage ring. An hour’s lesson or a two-hour trail ride leave me feeling fine.

I can’t bicycle up hills without significant pain and I have to be very careful when choosing lower-body exercises, but I walk, hike, jog a little (like across the yard), and have an average level of activity.

I have low-grade twinges of pain every day but I only have to ice my knees a couple of times a month. I can tell when I’ve overdone it because my left knee will turn colors and blow up to the size of a volleyball.

When I tried to jog 1/4 mile on the road a few months ago, I got deep purple bruises on my left knee that oozed out from the sizes of the kneecap and dripped halfway down my shin, under the skin. It was gross.

I wish I’d never hurt my knees in the first place but I can’t say I regret not getting surgery. It’s anecdotal evidence only, but I have two friends who repaired soccer injuries to their ACLs and they are no sounder than me.

I’m 32, so I might change my tune in another decade or two. My knees are already arthritic.