Unlimited access >

Anyone see this recent Paulick Report article about OTTB pedigrees for sport?

https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/off-track-pedigrees-alison-odwyers-favorite-sire-line-is-none-of-them

I understand the necessity of looking at/taking into account the horse in front of you (the phenotype). How they’re built, how they act, how they move, etc. That should always come first and foremost. However, I think it’s pretty dismissive to say that no racing-bred bloodlines are even worth considering when looking for off track thoroughbreds. I would argue that there’s plenty of evidence that certain lines are very well known for producing horses predisposed to sport, whether it be dressage, jumping or eventing.

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

I mean, she’s right in a lot of respects.

What I don’t like is that sometimes people latch on to this idea that this topic is black and white: you either have to be obsessed about lineage or completely dismissive of it. The reality is genetics are still a crapshoot, but there are absolutely trends in lines that arise and are worth noting. Otherwise we wouldn’t ever talk about bloodlines for sport.

I agree we focus too much on sires, but because of the astronmically large TB books each year, it makes an interesting case study. There is no other breed where you can see hundreds of offspring by the same sire born in such a short time period. It makes it a lot easier to see those aforementioned trends.

6 Likes

I think that if you are working at your local racetrack, you will see a lot of horses sired by your local stallions, and you will get to know the similarities that you see in those horses, and be able to attribute those similarities as coming from that stallion. Whether those attributes ever get the chance to show what they can do in the sport world is the question. And WHO does the work to switch the careers… are they skilled? Or are they idiots?

In the decades past, many of the top riders and trainers characteristically obtained OTTBs directly off the track. I think that in THOSE days, some jumping talent WAS able to be identified. Usually in the local area, local stallions. These days, most of the top riders and trainers are importing expensive horses, and few are buying TBs off the track any more. Thus, those few who do find homes as potential show horses are not getting those top riders and trainers any more. Hard to make judgements when training skills are not top quality.

When I was buying horses off the track to reschool for h/j careers, I had my favourates among local families. But also looked for the “type”, and the movement, and that athleticism that is required. All I know is that when I saw it, I recognized it. And bought it if possible. Worked out well for me. You have to try them to know for sure. Nobody knows in advance of trying them.

1 Like