Anyone try Rolfing?

Being a general mess physically from 30 years of riding, Rolfing sounds interesting.

I know it’s become “gentler” than when I first heard about it 20 years ago.

Anyone have personal experience?

NB: I’m going to a new chiropractor tomorrow who’s got masseurs and an accupuncturist on staff as well. The Rolfing idea is just something I kick around once in a while.

I did the 10 Series a couple of years ago.

I loved it. Yes, at times I felt like I was going to throw up from the “pain” but I felt so much better afterwards.

The weirdest part was when they worked on the psoas. That’s an area that’s never touched in normal massage/bodywork.

If I had the money I’d totally do it again.

I went to try to resolve some SI pain due to a fall. It helped some, but didn’t fullly resolve things. But I felt better/stronger in the rest of my body so it was worth it.

(My Rolfer suggested I look into prolotherapy. I had my first session a few weeks ago and there’s been a big improvement!)

What Leather said.
A cross between deep bodywork and S&M.
But I felt great afterwards.
This was ~ 5 years ago.
I’ve been considering another go at it.

Yes, I have done it for the past year. It has really been very helpful with my back pain. The thing that is great about rolfing is that once your muscles have lengthened, they just need to be reminded. I had about ten initial sessions about a year ago. When I went back, I didn’t need near as many sessions because my muscles retained the memory of being where they “should be.” It can be painful at times but a good practitioner should work within your comfort zone.

Yes! I was routinely Rolfed for years when we lived in the Midwest. It really helped with my fibromyalgia and arthritic problems. My first Rolfer was this teeny tiny former ballerina who was so incredibly powerful it was staggering. It was difficult at first to deal with the stretching and associated discomfort - yoga breathing helped me a bunch. But, honestly, it was such a boon to dealing with the conditions. Oh and the psoas work - that DOES sometimes lift me off the table!:eek:

We have now moved to the southeast and there are no certified Rolfers in the immediate area. However, with my advancing age and increased riding, I am thinking of driving up to the nearest big city for another 10 sessions to get me back on track.

A little humor here, years ago, I was attending some seminar in Chicago and during a break, this quite burly, large guy was talking about Rolfing and how he had run out of his first session screaming and never went back! I told him that yeah, it’s hard but the benefits for me were so great that it was part of my routine. He just looked at me in amazement… but then guys don’t go through labor either!:lol:

It can be painful at times but a good practitioner should work within your comfort zone.

This is very good point–we don’t want to scare off anybody. :lol:

A good Rolfer is very in tune with the person they’re working on and will work with their limits.

And it’s different than the pain of an accute injury. It almost does “hurt so good.” And I think most riders have a higher pain tolerance than the average person.

That’s what my massage therapist does. If you can live through it, it is incredible!

[QUOTE=Leather;4822880]

And it’s different than the pain of an accute injury. It almost does “hurt so good.” And I think most riders have a higher pain tolerance than the average person.[/QUOTE]

Yes!

Reading this is giving me a strong urge to call Garret, especially because both of my shoulders are currently bothering me. :smiley:

Rolfing can make a huge difference for Riders

I am a certified Rolfer™ and I chose to be one because it has helped me and my horse in so many ways. I herniated a disc in my back resulting in the need for surgery. I never thought I would ride again. Rolfing® Structural Integration helped me recover from back surgery so that I was able to get back in the saddle and even jump again.

Rolfing® Structural Integration has a bad reputation that it is painful but there is a new school of thought and it can be a very relaxing but effective type of bodywork. I have written an article describing some of the ways that the ten series can help riders. Please check it out and let me know what you think! http://bodyinharmonysi.com/benefits-for-horseback-riders/

Lg

Is sit safe for people with osteoporosis?