Anyone use compression socks?

Anyone out there use compression socks? I’m still rehabbing a tib/fib fracture from the end of April. Have finally gotten rid of the crutches but am dealing with a lot of swelling once I got out of the cast and started putting weight on it. The surgeon sent me to a lymphedema clinic who currently has my leg wrapped to get it to a normal size and I’m waiting on a compression sock to arrive.

Apparently my insurance doesn’t cover “medical supplies”, so I have to pay for them out of pocket. I’m starting with closed toe and 20-30 mmhg. My PT recommends Juzo brand.

Any advice or suggestions? It sounds like I should end up getting at least a few of them so that I have one or two to wear while another is in the wash. They also recommended the silicone top so they don’t slip down - is this necessary or do you find those without silicone work just as well? Any other recommendations? I’ve googled and looked through Amazon, just waiting for the initial one to come in so I can get into it to make sure it’ll work before I order more.

They said I’ll figure out as I go along how long I’ll need to keep them on (may be able to take them off for an hour or two at night, or sleep without them, etc.) and the one PT said that hopefully after six months or so I may only need them sporadically depending on what I’m doing (for example, if my leg puffs when I ride, wear them to ride, etc.). She said because it’s due to an injury and not cancer or something like that where they’ve removed the lymph nodes that eventually it should go back mostly to normal.

Any other information anyone would like to throw out there, I’d love to hear it. Thanks!

My mom wears compression socks. she puts them on while wearing those latex gloves. Hers are the open toe.

truth to tell, I cannot grip tight enough to put her socks on her. :frowning: have medical issues with my hands.

I got several pairs while recovering from my broken ankle/fibula. They helped a bit with the swelling, though really the only thing that made a big difference in that was time.

I got one pair of the high(er) compression socks and several pairs of the lower level compression socks. Both helped with swelling, but the high compression socks weren’t comfortable to leave on for a long time. Great for riding, though, where the extra support made using my stirrups more possible!

After several washings, the lower level compression socks basically just became regular pairs of socks that I notice no difference in when compared to non-compression socks. The high compression socks sit in my drawer mostly unused because they’re hard to put on and I have no need for them at this point. Though I torqued my ankle last week and they’ve been great to wear for that!

So I guess it would depend on how much support you want and how much you just want to reduce swelling at the end of the day. If it’s swelling only, I wouldn’t go for the super compression socks (sorry, I don’t know compression sock lingo, but higher tension?). But then my disclaimer is that I’m not a big sweller in general, and I never wore mine 24/7…only for the hours that I was walking around all day (like when I had to walk through airports or was out at a horseshow).

Juzo is a good brand, as well as Sigvaris
There are cheaper brands outhere that won’t last as long.

20-30mmHg is not a really high compression so it shouldn’t be that hard to put on. I wouldn’t go higher as far as compression if it was not recommanded.

I worked in a orthotics/prosthetics clinic a few years ago and remember that people prefered the silicone band but were sometime still using the ‘stick on’ spray.
Using gloves to put them on was mandatory and a lot of older people or more disable used a type of metal rack to put them on (the ones with the highest compression). I tried it and it made the process way easier!

Hand washing is a must.

Have tried Jobst and Juzo…prefer the Jobst. Yes to the silicone tops. The non-silicone just roll down.

Yes, hand wash. I do occasionally put in washer with the hand soap. Avoid
soap with phosphates is what I was told.

I realize this is a somewhat older thread but thought I’d throw my 2 cents in anyway. I use low level compression socks for minor swelling after knee surgery. I found it helped somewhat. I was also giving the advice to dry them on a rack and not in the dryer. This will help keep the integrity of the elasticity and not weaken it from the heat. As far as the silicon goes I have not used that kind but have not had any issues with them falling down either.

For my swelling the best thing I found was non stressing motion. So I either used a stationary bike with zero resistance for 10 minutes (start with 10 and work your way up). Or those pedals that you can by and use in front of the tv. I’m up to 30 minutes now with some resistance. This was on the advice of my physical therapist and it really did help.

I’ve also gotten some massage therapy that actually hurt when she was doing it. I was a little bruised the next day. this was just last week and today was the most comfortable I’ve been going up and down stairs since my surgery in October. I almost felt normal. So I’m going to see if my insurance or my flex spending covers therapeutic massage. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I wear below the knee 20-30 compression stockings. (Varicose veins) I found anything above knee to be too uncomfortable to tolerate. Compression pantyhose were more comfortable than thigh high stockings. Providing my feet and legs are dry, I have no difficulty putting them on. In hot weather, a sprinkle of powder makes the job much easier. I machine wash in warm (not hot) water, regular detergent, and hang to dry. I wear daily, and 6 pair last about 1 year. For activities like gardening I wear regular socks on top to protect from pulls.

The absolute MUST is to have someone experienced in fitting the product assist you with measurements and choices. The first stockings I was fitted for were too long. Wearing them was agony. They required constant repositioning. Next purchase, at a new location, new fitter, same size, but shorter length. So much more comfortable.

I have tried both open and closed toe style, and prefer closed toe. I found the open toe model would migrate up my foot, and wrinkle over my instep. Down side to closed toe, they are very hot.

When the stockings get uncomfortable, just take them off for 10-15 minutes, let your legs be free, then reapply. Giving yourself the freedom to do this makes the stockings bearable.

Flagged as spam.

1 Like

I don’t know if this applies to your injury, but when I was recovering from a deep vein thrombosis with pulmonary embolism, my left leg was so swollen I could only wear baggy sweat pants or stirrup pants, which were fashionable in 1991. :slight_smile: One doctor suggested putting a board under the foot of my bed, enough to raise my legs higher than my heart, and the swelling would go down substantially during the night. Of course, during the day it would swell somewhat, but not as badly, and starting out each morning with almost no swelling was so much more comfortable. Its surprising how even a small amount of fluid in your leg can make it feel like you are carrying around a dead weight, and how uncomfortable it can be. It made me more sympathetic to horses and their leg issues.

@BAC, this was a zombie thread revived by a spammer. And I needed to wear compression socks for months after a bad leg injury, but the socks tore up my skin. I had my husband vetwrap me starting at the toes, and that worked great. Plus I could pick out good colors.

Rebecca

Thanks for pointing that out, I saw that one post had been flagged as spam but didn’t realize the posts before it were so old. The vetwrap sounds a lot more useful, at least that way you can control the amount of compression to keep it comfortable.

Heads up that this was bumped by spam. :slight_smile:

I’d completely forgotten about this thread! :slight_smile: Can’t believe it’s been six years since my accident. I still get some swelling in that leg (for some reason this week has been bad, I think it’s the heat/humidity) and that leg will always be a bit larger than the other one but I rarely bother with the compression socks anymore. Everyone did have good advice though!!