Anyone used a therapeutic riding program?

I had a tumor on my spine which left me partially paralyzed 6 mos. ago. I’m slowly getting my movement back, and I’m now at home and going to outpatient physical therapy, but I really want to start riding again. I would not, however, feel comfortable trying to ride at home with just my husband to help me. Never mind that I don’t even have a suitable horse :lol:

Soooo, I want to check into an equine therapy program, but other than just googleing to find locations, how would I go about checking reputations, and credentials? I’ve looked at a couple of websites that have “testimonials”, but I wouldn’t trust just going by that. Anyone have any experience?

Go to www.pathintl.org. They have a “Find a Center” feature. Premier Accredited centers have gone through an outside audit to confirm compliance with industry standards. Member centers have not gone through accreditation. Some are following all the standards but haven’t pursued accreditation for organizational/financial reasons. Some are…not so married to the standards manual.

You can also ask what certification the instructor you would ride with has. Anyone teaching should be a Registered instructor. There are also Advanced and Master level instructor certifications.

I used to be involved with Equest (fabulous, probably too far away), and I know ManeGait and Riding Unlimited by reputation (positive!), both north of the metroplex. There are lots of options in the DFW area, I just wasn’t there long enough to get to know too many.

As a horse person, you’ll be way ahead of the game in terms of figuring out if the place next door is sketchy once you actually get there. You should see more safety features than at a regular riding barn. Helmets mandatory, stirrups with safety features, gates closed when riders are in the arena, staff and volunteers involved to an appropriate extent to help you regain your “sea legs,” etc. Good luck on your quest!

Our local therapy horseback group is a non-profit and is run by the same therapist you get in the hospital and the other one works there also.

Ask your doctor/PT people who they recommend.

There seem to be different groups with different goals.
Ours is truly therapy horseback, not riding for the handicapped.
You may want to decide which kind of riding fits you best.

YES! I am currently rehabbling from a serious illness followed by knee replacement surgery. Because the illness was long term, although I have great muscle memory, I have very little muscle tone and my surgical leg needs strengthening. My last event horse has become chronically lame in the interim so I am left with two youngsters that are too green for the hours of basic riding I need for rehab. Like you, I was not overly confident that the folks at home could keep me safe. Having previously volunteered for a therapeutic riding center, I finally decided to give them a call. They were very quick to invite me out. Evidently they have worked with many experienced horsemen and women who have had strokes, surgery or accidents and needed rehab.
What a great place!
The first time we went through their mounting drill with the ramp, volunteers on each side, a horse leader and a fabulous and appropriate horse. After that assessment they were comfortable with letting me tell them how much I want to push through each session. By the third session I am mounting with a three step block and a horse handler, riding independently with supervision but not lessons, and dismounting by kicking my stirrups and sliding off with a horse handler holding the horse and a volunteer standing behind me in case I fall. It will be awhile before I am ready to do this at home but I am having a blast developing core strength, finding my balance, seatbones, developing independent upper middle and lower blocks at a place with such supportive environment.
IT IS SO REASSURING to have well trained staff who are interested in helping you improve but not pushing your limits and horses that are such solid citizens. The two horses I have ridden so far are well trained retired show horses, one from upper level dressage and one from A hunters. They will give me as much as I am able to ask for but they don’t give it if I am crooked or using the wrong aids, perfect for self assessment.
I completely agree with Findthedistance. Look for a PATH center to keep yourself safe. PATH has high standards and well trained instructors. And, Equest is and excellent program.
Check it out. I’m so glad I did. When it is time to ride at home, I will be ready and able to keep myself safe. For the first time in several years, I believe I will gallop and jump again.

findthedistance, thanks that’s the kind of source info. I’m looking for. Equest is too far away unfortunately because I did hear good things about them.

Bluey, I did bring this up to my Dr. and PT, but neither are familiar with equine therapy. I had to laugh at my surgeon, (who’s ex-military and still an active skydiver) because he said he’s scared to death of horses!

PineyWoods, good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress :smiley:

To do T.R. you don’t need a referral. You can go down there or print off the application from their website. Once you submit it, they will do an assesment and show you the facilities. Once approved they will let you know when the next session is, have you fill out a form of the best times for you, and you will submit your payment with that form.

Yes, what FtD said. Try to find a Premier Accredited Center.
You will have to verify that horseback riding is not contraindicated for your condition (e.g. you don’t have an increased risk of spinal injury if a horse was to move suddenly or if you fell off, etc).

Congrats on your progress thus far! :smiley:

The terminology gets confusing really quickly, and it is really not a fault of anyone, just confusion from an organizational perspective (a can of worms I don’t want to open).

But anyways, are you looking for equine-assisted therapy/hippotherapy (physical therapy I assume) using the horse’s movement to assist with balance, gait, and movement or adaptive riding (therapeutic riding) to be able to slowly go back to riding in a more structured setting with appropriate horses? I assume the second from your post.

Yes, definitely look into Premier Accredited Centers but then again not all centers are the same (even if both have premier accreditation). Treat it just like you are going out to find a new trainer. You want to find an instructor that is actually a ride/can teach riding using adaptive means as necessary. Honestly a lot of centers I have visited just use glorified games on horseback (placing rings on cones, throwing balls into hoops, etc.) and you really want to find something where you can ride with needed support from adapted tack, side walkers if needed at first, and horses that have good training to get you back to riding independently/working towards your previous riding skills (even if adaption is needed) if that is your goal.

Another thought is to contact the USPEA (US Para Equestrian Association) as they might be able to give better recommendations, based on what discipline you ride and what your plans are.

I don’t know where in Fort Worth you live but North Texas Equestrian Center has a few horses that Para Dressage riders ride (a previous rider that went to the Paralympics and one that is using one of the horse’s from there for WEG).

I did. Conventional PT wasn’t working for me so I tried riding even though my insurance denied it was “real” therapy - a real shame since it worked wonders both physically and mentally.
When I started, I had to use a ramp to get on the horse and it took me 10 minutes to dismount. I was exhausted just keeping the horse walking - and he was an easy horsey. In 8 weeks I was able to canter and started riding my own horse again.
I really needed the steady therapy horse to help me build my balance back up and give me the confidence to get back on my own mare. It turns out the way my leg is stretched during riding is the only thing that keeps my neuropathy manageable. If I don’t ride several times a week, the nerve clenches back up and I’m a wreck.
I went to a PATH center and they were wonderful. :slight_smile:

I did some further research, and decided to go with an instructor who doesn’t have a therapeutic center, but was previosly involved with 2. Her riding background is dressage and eventing, which of course suits me! I went to her barn last week for a " meet and greet" with her, and “my” horse. All of the actual therapeutic centers within a reasonable distance are western oriented, and I’m just not comfortable with that. Anyway, I’ll take my 1st lesson Fri.

hca86- I’d love to go N. Tx. Equestrian Center, but too far away. I knew Kai Handt when he first moved here, and he was eventing.

GotGait, I read your other thread, and you have my sympathy. Luckily (sort of;) ) my nerve damage was almost eliminated through surgery. Just about the only nerve damage left is my left hand. Most of what I’m working through now is muscle atrophy from my paralysis, and just overall weakness.

[QUOTE=Bluey;7694203]
Our local therapy horseback group is a non-profit and is run by the same therapist you get in the hospital and the other one works there also.

Ask your doctor/PT people who they recommend.

There seem to be different groups with different goals.
Ours is truly therapy horseback, not riding for the handicapped.
You may want to decide which kind of riding fits you best.[/QUOTE]

OK, maybe a dumb question, but … what is the difference? The only three I have any experience of are called therapeutic riding centers, but are in fact riding for the handicapped. Didn’t realize there was a difference 'til I read your post.

Usually, when a PT or OT is involved it is called Hippotherapy and is physical therapy, as distinct from therapeutic riding which is adaptive riding for those with special needs.

There is no overriding agency which regulates so there is a lot of blurring around the edges.

[QUOTE=skykingismybaby1;7730310]
Usually, when a PT or OT is involved it is called Hippotherapy and is physical therapy, as distinct from therapeutic riding which is adaptive riding for those with special needs.

There is no overriding agency which regulates so there is a lot of blurring around the edges.[/QUOTE]

That and therapy horseback is exercises using the horse for therapy for a specific problem.
Riding for the handicapped is riding with the intention of learning to ride and become a horseman itself.

Horses help everyone in so many ways, that is a given and recognized, but the object of each interaction can be different for each person interacting with them.

At least that is the way I was explained this.
Seems that insurance will pay for hippo-therapy, with the patient’s doctor prescription for that therapy, but won’t pay for riding for the handicapped and those training and participating in the special classes/competitions for the handicapped.

[QUOTE=skykingismybaby1;7730310]

There is no overriding agency which regulates so there is a lot of blurring around the edges.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
Therapy implies that a medical professional such as a PT, OT (Hippotherapy) or Mental Health Professional (Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy) is involved and a medical model is followed.
Therapeutic refers to Equine Assisted Activities (riding, horsemanship skills)which are generally considered physically restorative or healing but are not performed in a medical model or with a medical professional in attendance.
PATH Therapeutic Riding Instructors are trained to work with individuals with disibilities, both chronic and temporary, but are not performing medical services unless specifically certified to work with an appropriately credentialled medical professional.
PATH Therapeutic Riding Centers may have a variety of different programs, varying from the basic riding lesson, using the movement of the horse for stretching, improving balance, coordination etc., to Hippotherapy, which is like physical therapy on horseback and Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy, actual mental health sessions with horses, Equine Facilitated Learning and Veteran’s Programs for PDSD, and other rehab.

I have now taken 3 lessons at the new barn, and wow what a difference! I had just completely ditched the wheelchair ( after 7 mos ), for the walker when I first went there. I still got really tired, and was somewhat unbalanced even with the walker, but I’m now using a cane! I could tell a difference in my balance after the 1st lesson. To be fair, I had just taken my 1st aquatic lesson at PT the day before, but whether it was horse, pool, or more than likely a combination of both, I’m thrilled.

Still have some emotional meltdowns every GREAT once in awhile, but I’m starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. The physical issues are one thing but, as most of us horse women are independents, having to depend on other people to help you do almost everything in your life for almost a year is almost more than I could take.

So YAY once again for our super equine friends. 4 legged and 2 legged! :smiley: