Unlimited access >

Anyone used kick chains on a mare with foal at side?

Anyone used kick chains on a mare with foal at side?

I have a mare with a foal at side who kicks the stall wall next to her feed tub when her neighbor is inside. We have been feeding her and locking her neighbor in the run for a bit while she eats her grain. It used to just be an issue during graining time, but recently it has started to be an issue with hay as well. When it was just grain being the issue, I felt ok locking the neighbor horse outside for 20 minutes while she ate, but seeing how hay is also becoming an issue I don’t feel comfortable locking the other horse out for that long. I keep hay in front of them at all times when inside their stall/run, and don’t feel comfortable doing anything other then that. Ive tried haying them at opposite stall walls so that they are as far apart as possible, but even a look from another horse sends her into a kicking fit. The stall walls are wood on the bottoms, and bars on top that don’t go to the ceiling, but about 10 feet high. When she kicks, she only kicks the wood on the bottom. Seeing as it isn’t my barn, I can’t make a solid wall. I though about putting up plywood or something so she cant see the horse next to her, but the barn isn’t allowing it. They are outside in pasture from 8am until 4pm, and inside with their stall/run the rest of the time. Ill feed her hay outside on the run in the far corner to prevent the stall kicking, but she ends up charging the run panel and kicks at them anyways as soon as her neighbor goes outside.

We have tried moving neighbors around, but there is no one she likes. She has the end stall so she only has one horse next to her and no one is across from her.

I feel like I am out of options. I looked into the “quit kick” system, but I don’t think it would be fair for her foal to get sprayed as a result of her kicking and don’t want the foal to fear the stall as a result. This was never an issue until this last year and not much has changed so I am unsure of what to do. I have had success with other horses in the past using kick chains in the stall, but am hesitant to use it with a foal on her side. The foal is pretty mouthy and don’t want him to bite them and yank on it causing her to kick him by accident.

I tried hanging mats to the bottom of the stall so at least she will not hurt herself kicking, but could not figure out how to hang them without causing permanent change or damage to the stall or stall walls.

Open to any ideas/thoughts/suggestions!

Instead of plywood that they won’t allow, will they let you rig a curtain of some sort of dark material that she can’t see thru? Other than making it so she’s always out when they’re in and vice versa, that’s a tough one. Are you somewhere that it’s feasible for her to be out at night and in during the day? I wonder if it’s worse because of the foal at her side making her feel like she needs to guard her resources even more now.

[QUOTE=kasjordan;7098224]
Instead of plywood that they won’t allow, will they let you rig a curtain of some sort of dark material that she can’t see thru? Other than making it so she’s always out when they’re in and vice versa, that’s a tough one. Are you somewhere that it’s feasible for her to be out at night and in during the day? I wonder if it’s worse because of the foal at her side making her feel like she needs to guard her resources even more now.[/QUOTE]

It might be worse due to having her foal at side. Hopefully this behavior stops at weaning. It isn’t possible to have alternating turnouts so she is neighbor free unfortunately.

That is a really good suggestion. I will see if they will allow that. My only worry about doing that is with her foal being really mouthy, how could i keep from him tearing it down? hmmm…

Can you move her until foal is weaned? is there a separate field or paddock that would work?
have you considered treating for ulcers?

(IME solid walls often does not stop/prevent the kicking, so I’d not focus on that, try it if you can easily do so)

To answer your question – I wouldn’t risk the chains with the foal at side. These are animals looking for a way to get hurt.

I had a mare with a foal that kicked out just like you described. She took the wall down between the two stalls and we had the stalls blocked off with plywood. She still knew that there was a horse next door and let fly at the wall with both back feet. We were very concerned that the foal would get in the way when she kicked out and almost did. We had to wean that foal early because if it.
I just wanted to point out that your foal could be at risk if you can’t find a solution. Good luck!

I have never had this issue but I would for sure stay away from chains with a young foal who could easily get injured by them. As alto mentioned is there a seperate field (with shelter) you could just leave them out in full tiime? Drape a sheet or something between the stalls?

Another thought though I have never used them either would blinders work? Just thinking they wouldn’t hurt the mare but if she is eating at the opposite side of her stall and can’t see her neighbor behind her that might help. However, it could backfire and she may kick the foal not knowing the foal is there. Or maybe she won’t kick since she won’t know where the foal is exactly and won’t take the chance?? Just a thought… But my first choices for sure would be to leave them out in their own field or cover the bars.

[QUOTE=aaibel;7098453]
It might be worse due to having her foal at side. Hopefully this behavior stops at weaning. It isn’t possible to have alternating turnouts so she is neighbor free unfortunately.

That is a really good suggestion. I will see if they will allow that. My only worry about doing that is with her foal being really mouthy, how could i keep from him tearing it down? hmmm…[/QUOTE]

Put the sheet up on the neighbors side away from the mouthy foal :slight_smile:

I have used a tarp and used the grommets to thread baling twine through it, so I could tie the tarp to the bars. As previous poster suggests, hang it on the neighbor’s side so baby can’t eat it !
Good luck !

Blind fold, ear plugs, Vicks in her nose so she can’t smell while you’re at it. LOL.

I have one of these mares and honestly the best thing for everyone (people included because it will stop the worrying) is to put them in a paddock or pasture with a run in shed and call it good.

Thanks for all the answers. I put up a tarp today so we will see if it helps.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a pasture with a shelter I could put them in and call it good so lets hope this works!

That’s too bad. My walls are solid wood 8 ft tall and not seeing doesn’t stop her from kicking. I have seen some water spray devices that looked interesting. Maybe someone can post a link.