Unlimited access >

Anyone want to start a 2022 health challenge?

I am. Thank you very much for this!

Do you have a link you can post for these? They sound fascinating.

Iā€™ll PM.

1 Like

Thank you.

I had a brief stint where things seemed to going well, started working one on one with a Pilates trainer, managed to ride more than once a week, but then life got in the way again with a series of minor injuries and a kid with Covid - that kept me home, snacking, and not working out. I managed not to gain back the 5 pounds I lost but am going to have to locate some commitment somewhere if I want to make a significant change.

I just interviewed an AA dressage rider for a magazine article who lost 100lbs over the course of 3 years by sticking to 1600 calories a day and getting up at 4:30am daily to fit in exercise, riding, and work. Thatā€™s really the level of effort it takes and I think Iā€™m just too damn lazy lol.

2 Likes

Would you return with a link to this if it is ever published? Iā€™d love to hear about her experiences.

I just found this thread but if it will help motivate anyoneā€¦

I decided in August 2020 that I needed some major changes in diet, mostly because I watched the Worldā€™s Toughest Race and decided that I wanted to do Adventure Racing. DH was like hell yeah! me too! So Sept 1, 2020- we radically changed our diets and exercise amounts. We went with full on Keto (no itā€™s not just eating bacon and bunless burgers and butter -haha thatā€™s very alliterative) and as best we could local and organic, re-learned a lot of cooking and started a heart rate based training program of cardio along with strength training.

Fast forward to now- Iā€™m down almost 100 lbs, DH is down about 75ish (he doesnā€™t really weigh himself). I, who had never run before in my life, have completed 2 50K trail ultras, 2 25K trail races, a 30 mile Equathon, a couple of endurance rides, a 10 hour Orienteering Rogaine in the mountains and countless other shorter things- including starting rock climbing. DH has done 5 adventure races (just did his first 24 hour last weekend), a triathlon, a week long mtn bike trip and several ultras. In case youā€™re wondering, no I havenā€™t done an adventure race as I discovered I really dislike mtn biking lol.
On top of all that, my plantar fasciitis- 100% gone, knee issues Iā€™ve since teens- gone, acne issues- gone. DH has similar results and also reversed his pre type II diabetes.

Sometimes I wonder why this time it stuck and all of the other countless times Iā€™ve tried to get in shape and lose weight didnā€™t- I think it is because I stuck with it long enough to see how much fun I could have in this new energetic body. I actually feel like I am finally, really me. And having my DH do it too? Priceless. Itā€™s fun to find new recipes, to cook in season, to try new things together.

I donā€™t actually talk about it very much because people somehow feel like it gives them the right to say horrible things to me. I actually had a stranger message me and told me that I should be ashamed for losing weight. People have literally told me that Iā€™m going to die from (pick your answer here) running too much ,eating Keto, intermittent fasting- and the strangest one- from not praying and eating muffins before I run.

Do I think what I have done is for everyone? No definitely but it has been the closest thing to a miracle for me and Iā€™ll take it.

I saw a quote from a fitness coach the other day that really resonated with meā€¦
ā€œBuilding muscle and eating mostly nutrient dense, unprocessed foods are not abnormal pursuits or the result of diet culture brainwashing. They are the foundations of good healthā€- I literally wanted to hug this person for this quote

4 Likes

I will bring you some muffins for No Frills as I want you to be safeā€¦ you are on your own regarding the praying. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I think you and your husband should be proud of your accomplishments. I eat Keto as well and have never felt better since eliminating sugar & most carbs from my diet. Yes, It is restrictive somewhat but you are not hungry.

Processed foods or just eating too much ( so common for all of us) is the downfall of many. If we would really follow what an actual serving size is( for all the things we eat) we would be shocked , thinner and better off.

2 Likes

:rofl:
Omgosh did you catch that thread on the AERC page? lol she would NOT stop messaging me weird things

1 Like

:innocent:

EB1997F1-8703-4C0C-9C68-50045D949221_4_5005_c

3 Likes

Here is the article. Her weight loss / fitness wasnā€™t really the focus so thereā€™s not much info but I was really impressed with her determination and persistence. And she had a very good show season this year so all her work seems to be paying off! https://horsesport.com/magazine/profiles/canadian-dressage-breeder-owner-rider-vicky-lavoie/

1 Like

Thatā€™s amazing for you! You must be so proud to accomplish those running goals. I tried ordering from a Keto meal delivery service for a few weeks and it did not work for me, but in general when I stick to low/slow carb eating with my own cooking I feel much much better. The trick so obviously to find what works for you and to stick with it. Good for you for doing that!

2 Likes

How is everyone doing?

I found out next week that I need to have another microdiscectomy surgery this summer as my disc has re-herniated after my surgery in January. I am meeting with my physio again this week to try to figure out what I can do to make myself comfortable between now and the surgery. I also have to figure out how to ā€œget into shapeā€ or at least lose some of the weight I have gained from sitting around the last 4 months. If I donā€™t have any muscle tone, I donā€™t see the next surgery being successful. Iā€™m thinking swimming? Hopefully my physio agrees.

My mare is coming home after a stint with another trainer. It will be good for my mental health to have her close enough to see every day. Maybe I can even ride her at a walk once and a while.

My hope is that I am all ready to go in September and I can start riding steadily, but thatā€™s a long time to try to stay healthy without being able to do actual exercise.

1 Like

I just joined DRT which starts next week. Anyone else?

I could stand to lose a few pounds but really I need to rearrange it. The scale weight might not change but I need to build muscle and flexibility. Itā€™s not like I donā€™t know how to do this, I have all the equipment and knowledge. I lost 50+ lbs working with a personal trainer years ago and have kept it off. But apparently I need to pay someone to watch me exercise or it doesnā€™t happen!

I did DRT with the goal of strengthening my core to support my back last year. I really felt a lot better by the end and I enjoyed it more than I expected. I started DRT2 but the first strength workout made me sick (bad timing - I did it at the end of a very hot, active day) then strained a muscle and Iā€™ve started/stopped several times since. I want to get back to it and have managed to repeat weeks 9-12 of DRT1 as prep.

I started a new job with a radically different schedule two weeks ago and Iā€™m still working out my non work schedule so the workouts have been sidelined.

Do you want an accountability buddy? Iā€™ll do DRT2 as you do DRT week by week and we can try to keep up with each other.

I have not made any lasting changes to my diet, does it great intentions.

But Iā€™ve been doing reformer Pilates twice a week with a trainer, and itā€™s made a big difference in recovering from my back injury, strengthening my core and helping my riding. Hoping now that my back is better I can slowly start doing small amounts of cardio to improve my overall fitness

Sure! So far I have done the first two sessions, Monday/Wednesday as suggested, so nothing today and then the next one on Friday.

And I dug out my foam roller. OMG dying I have not done that in years. Ow.

Anyone else doing DRT this session or another program and want to commit to a schedule? They say if you tell someone else you plan to exercise youā€™re more likely to do it. :slight_smile:

I managed a core and a mobility/yoga last week. Iā€™m starting with DRT1 week 9 again and going forward from there. It was stupid hot here last week and Iā€™ve done DRT2 strength week 1 twice on excessively hot days and both times was sick afterwards.

So far this week Iā€™ve done DRT1 week 10 core and mobility/yoga, plus two extra mobility/yoga workouts.

My work schedule completely changed after Easter and Iā€™m still struggling with adjusting my non work activities and finding my get-up-and-go.