Anyone with full lumbar fusion or close?

Looking for anecdotal information on full lumbar fusion; post surgical recovery, limitations/restrictions on movement, would you do it again? Yes, I have read previous topics but they are also a bit long in the tooth.

First, please, I am not looking for options on not doing this. I have seen 2 orthopedic surgeons (yes, I know their missions is to cut) who tell me that I will need surgery. I’ve seen my x-rays and MRI and concur with the diagnosis.

Starting at L5 and working up, plastic discs will be inserted hoping making it as far as the space between L3 and L2. Synthetic bone for the fusion. (didn’t get the names, but sponge and other materials, not actual bone grafts). Rods (not sure how far into thoracic spine) to provide lower back curvature and support.

Surgeon has already warned me that I will hate him after the first surgery (disc inserts) and hate him more after the second surgery (the rods) but 6 weeks later I will be much happier :slight_smile:

Not in OP’s position yet, but also having to do research on fusions and recoveries, etc, so am interested to hear experiences…

Good luck, WMW.

I am in the position of facing lumbar fusion in the near future. In fact if it wasn’t for my DH I would have had it already. But he insisted that I try the epidurals first( today I am sitting here miserable after Epi #2). But if my back goes out again( which 2 surgeons have told me it will) I will be into surgery in a heartbeat.

I am optimistic about it - mine is not as drastic as yours - just L4/L5 - so I should still have pretty good range of motion. It’s the recovery that’s not going to be fun.

Good luck with it. Everyone I have talked to that has had fusion is SO much happier for having had it.

Thanks DarknStormy. Good luck with yours. Talked to Dr about the steriods but with the stenosis and lateral lithesis (their words, not mine :wink: ) injections were not recommended.

Everything I’ve read says it will be better afterwards, just looking to hear some real life stories about it… :slight_smile:

I would also like to hear some more stories! The injections aren’t really helping me that much.

I’ve done a lot of research on spinal fusions - both DD’s have scoliosis. One has had fusion T-11 -> L- 3.

It’s certainly not an easy surgery, but she would do it again for the relief it brought her.

Make sure the surgeon you pick has done a lot of the type of surgery you need. Age also is a factor in how long recovery takes.

DD is not really limited now at 2 years post op. There was no lifting, bending twisting for first 6 or so months. PT after that. It’s very important to follow DR’s orders during recovery!!

They really have come a long way with hardware these days.

I’ve had multi level fusion. Mine was done minimally invasive and slightly different from what you are describing. Would I do it again? Yes, from a pain perspective, there wasn’t a choice. has it changed my life? absolutely. Can i ride like I used to ride? NO.

for you, it will depend on your particular fusion and how you heal. The big problem with fusion isn’t the fusion; it’s the stress placed on the joint above and below the fusion. Once you have the first fusion, the other joints must take up the difference and are under more stress. This additional stress will bring about degeneration to those joints sooner. You must decide how much you’re willing to stress the remaining joints. For my particular fusion I was told, walk and posting trot okay, canter in jumping position no sitting trot, no sitting canter and no jumping. My surgeon said if I don’t follow this, I’ll be back for another fusion of the adjoining joints in under 5 years.

It is worth it to no longer have as much pain. I can now walk and stand for hours instead of 5-10 minutes. whatever you do, absolutely listen to the surgeon about the post surgery. You MUST walk as much as he allows. If you don’t you will have more scar tissue problems and adhesions. Exercise is absolutely key. Follow everything after the surgery to prevent infection (it’s realllllllly serious.)

try going to spine-health.com and look at their discussion forums for surgery. There’s a particular post at the beginning that has a list of what you need before you have the surgery. It is an invaluable list compiled by many who have gone before you. It’s amazing what you won’t think of ahead of time and they won’t remember or know to tell you at hte hospital. If you wish to speak with me, send me a Pm and I’ll give you my phone number.

good luck.

flashwhitelock, thank you so much for the info. This is a full lumbar (not sure if he is going to T12 (11?), forgot to ask).

The surgeon that will be doing this does only scoliosis surgery so I feel confident in his experience. Have now had 2 appts (first was because he was a second opinion via referral, second appt was to really put the wheels in motion). He spent close to 2 hours with me talking about what he was planning, some of the additional challenges that I present based on previous medical treatments, etc.

I’m ready to move on the game plan but was looking for real life anecdotes. I will check out spine-health.com and that forum. I want to be as prepared as I can be. I’ve already had one round of questions asked/answered and now working on a second set.

Will keep the offer in mind for sure!

I had a lumber fusion, L3 thru L5 done in 1989. I have five metal plates and bone grating from my hip. It was HELL to go thru, I think the surgery is a bit less so now than then, but was 9 1/2 hours surgery, was in intensive care afterwards for two days and in the hospital 10days. Took me 8 months to get out of the body brace. It was NO FUN AT ALL, but definitely, in my case, WELL worth going thru!! They actually had me psycologically evaluated prior to surgery as some people cannot handle the recovery which was long and hard! Having had this surgery many years ago, I will say I do everything including jump and sitting trot (altho long periods of sitting trot are hard due to loss of flexibility), I still lift bales of hay, bags of feed etc. And the surgery being 23 yrs ago now means that yes, you can do those things without having a repeat surgery! I do walk a bit “tilted” forward, just cannot stand perfectly straight any longer, but hey, beats the alternatives!!