Unlimited access >

Anything I can do to reduce flies in my own horse's stall?

I board at a very large barn that uses a automatic fly spray system. I think it’s set to mist for 30 seconds 5 times a day. Historically fly control inside the barn has been good but this year (and last) seem especially bad for biting flies. Is there anything I can do just to my horse’s stall to improve the situation? He already has strong fan but the flies don’t seem all that affected by it.

I am considering Bite free Stable Fly traps outside his stall (he’s on the end of his barn) but wasn’t sure how much trapping flies just around his stall will help. Some sites also advise you to not put traps near the horses because it will attract the flies.

I also am considering putting up mesh on the side of his stall that gets afternoon sun. I can’t tell from my reading if biting flies are attracted to light or not.

I put Freedom 45 on him today in desperation. I also spray him with fly spray but prefer the more natural kind since we are inhaling a lot of the mist (and already have the fly spraying system putting permethrin in our lungs) and they don’t last all that long.

It’s very hot here so a fly sheet is not a good solution.

Any thoughts on the Bite Free traps or putting up screening mesh? Or other ideas?

Thanks!

Get a bag of cedar chips and sprinkle them around his stall on top of his normal bedding. They smell great and I think they help keep the flies away. You can get them at any pet store or TSC. Just use a light dusting so that the bag lasts a few days.

That’s easy to try! Thanks!

I have used the fly band leg bands before, those work great for fly prone horses. Some horses really do attract more flys than others lol

I hadn’t considered probably becasue I had a bad experience years ago with a neck band those but might be worth trying! I think the staff at the barn thought it was a cribbing collar and tightened it up, which gave the horse a bad I assuming chemical burn. His neck swelled up. Not dangerously for breathing etc but very painful. I don’t think the staff would tighten up a leg band by mistake.

You can also try the fly wraps. I don’t use fly sheets often because they are hot, but my horses do like the Kensington fly leg wraps, they really reduce stomping during the summer.

1 Like

Can they wear the fly wraps in turnout? I’m not sure the staff would put them on and off. He runs around quite a bit…

I mix equal parts water, Pine Sol and vinegar and use as a stall spray. It works really well and lasts about 2 days. I spray the walls and bars, especially around the feeder since the flies love grain.

1 Like

[QUOTE=WhyMe;8106790]
Can they wear the fly wraps in turnout? I’m not sure the staff would put them on and off. He runs around quite a bit…[/QUOTE]
I always turned out mine at home with the leg wraps on. Worst case scenario is usually they get ripped off or get burrs on them.

My horse doesn’t get grain so at least we have one less attractant! I am a bug magnet so no surprise I have a horse that is also. The spray sounds like an easy thing to try. Thanks!

The absolute BEST thing I’ve found and cheap too is the disposable fly traps from Walmart found in the lawn and garden department. They’re like $4.00 each and will be full in less than a week if your fly problem is serious like mine is right now. I’ve tried about every kind and size trap and these are hands down the best. I have 2 or 3 hung (out of reach) around each stall.

Buy as many as you can afford cause they run out early! Good Luck!

2 Likes

Yes, they can wear the wraps in turnout. Mine are turned out 24/7, there’s no “in” except to eat their grain! They do fine. I check them daily to make sure they aren’t rubbing, etc.

A previous thread recommended spraying the walls with diluted cedar oil.
At least it would last a while.

[QUOTE=Tiffani B;8106794]
I mix equal parts water, Pine Sol and vinegar and use as a stall spray. It works really well and lasts about 2 days. I spray the walls and bars, especially around the feeder since the flies love grain.[/QUOTE]

I use this same homebrew with good results :yes:
Also spray it on the horses.

Don’t bother with putting up mesh - my horses destroyed the mesh fabric screening in my barn windows (barn is in the middle of sacrifice paddock), then went on to destroy the frames holding the screens.
I had to cover the windows with hardware cloth to keep them off the glass.

Just because no one mentioned this - clean your horse’s stall everytime you’re in there. Even if the staff cleans it well a few times a day, picking out that poo when you’re out riding can help.

3 Likes

If you can have a fan at your stall, that is one of the best ways to keep insects at bay. I prefer that, if done safely, to sprays and traps.

1 Like

A powerful fan that your horse can park himself under, works better than any chemical.

1 Like

I third the fan. They work really well. I see a big difference when they’re on or off.

1 Like

I do have a fan and considered getting a bigger one but don’t want to kick up too much dust. The one I have is a 20" blade industrial one. One with 24" blades would also fit in the corner but I know the 30" would be too big and create too much wind. My husband wanted me to put up two fans to make more of a windy enviornment for the flies but I don’t think the barn would be ok with that.

Good news is I talked with the staff person who manages the overhead fly misting system. He never comes into the barn unless to work on someting specific so has no idea what the flies are like. I told him how bad they were and he checked the settings and upped the number of times they are spraying and just in two days there is a signifcant decrease in the number of flies in the stalls. I didn’t realize how quickly they could impact the flies.

Out in the paddocks/pasture is still a problem so I am going to try the fly wraps and a fly sheet too this weekend.

2 Likes

Ask if they have a company come out to professionaly spray and bait flies. We do house , dairy and barn 2x week

1 Like