Applying for usef/usdf exemptions

Hello all!
I have a question. My mare is currently at first level, so it’s not currently an issue, but I haven’t been able to wear tall boots since breaking my ankle four years ago due to issues with my Achilles’ tendon contracting and swelling issues. I have been showing in paddock boots and half chaps and once I’m above second level, I’m not sure how I will show if I have to wear boots.

Does anyone know how to go about applying for rule exemptions from USEF and USDF?

You are allowed to wear zip up boots. You should have no problems getting those on. I wear nothing but zip up boots now. If you can get front zip, they last longer.

You could try for an exemption once you move up. USEF requires medical proof but is reasonable to work with.

You could also try one of the tall boots with an elastic panel, like the ariat volant or some of the cavallos. No break-in required. For eventing dressage I know you can use boots/half chaps if they are smooth leather, not sure about usdf.

It is UESF not USDF.

See USEF rules GR152.

I am not sure the exact application process, but you can call or email USEF and I am sure they will tell you.

Just to respond here… I have tall boots with zippers, this does not fix the issue that I have with serious swelling and I have to have some insoles to support my foot since my Achilles is contracted. To add to the issue, I have very large calves, so most main stream brands like Ariats, are out of the question anyway. I have a pair of boots that fit that I’ve had since before I broke my ankle four years ago, but I couldnt walk around in them for even five minutes without being in some crippling pain. I can wear my paddock boots for some time comfortably, which is why I’m thinking it would probably be best to pursue the exemption route.