Unlimited access >

Apps/Websites/Programs for Barn/Property Design?

Is there anything out there that is like a design for dummies kinda thing? If we don’t get any major curveballs, in the next 10-15 years, we’re planning to buy property and build a home.

I’d like to build a small barn and a dry lot/track to have to bring Charlie home. I figure he will be getting on his early 20’s and I don’t expect he will be any easier to manage from an easy keeper status. I don’t want to take any chances with boarding barns and we all know how good options are becoming less and less.

I’d love to be able to take in a fjord or two from the fjord rescue network and the setup would be ideal for any kind of easy keeper rehab.

It’s still a ways off, but I think fiddling around design it will be fun!

So much of layout is dependent on the actual property itself, of course - slopes, drainage, prevailing wind, existing structures, soil type, setbacks etc. and your budget to effect change on those things. Unless you live somewhere utterly flat and uniform and buy raw land?

If you’re just looking for an app to lay out ideas though, I use photoshop but that’s excessive (and $) and I only use it because it’s also my job.

Are you looking for 3D like SketchUp or 2D? Something that outputs more of an illustration like https://icograms.com/designer# or building documents to scale?

1 Like

Absolutely understood and the type of land we buy needs to be conducive to a simple/efficient barn/home set up. I’d like to have some ideas of what I like for a set up before we start looking at property to some degree. My family has 65 acres which I WISH was suitable for what’s in my head, but there is no way to do something there without it being a complete PITA.

I’d basically like something that has scale to it so I can play around to make something like this:

1 Like

I’ve used Magic Plan to design a home remodel - might work!

1 Like

You can do a lot with good old fashioned graph paper. Sketching out barn designs is super fun.

In my experience, each property will show you how to be laid out. I’m on my third property that I’ve set up horse keeping totally from scratch.

I think that having a solid vision is really important. It’s good to brainstorm that as much as possible. Like you’re doing now! Good luck :blush:

1 Like