Unlimited access >

Arabian Horse Standards and Attire for Training Level

Hi, I am new to showing and have an Arabian gelding I would like to compete at the training level. What tack/attire will I need to compete? I have a Wintec Isabell saddle and show bridle with snaffle bit.
Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide me.

Sounds like you are set. Have fun showing.

Just make sure your bit is “legal” by checking out the USEF rule book, and that your saddle pad is an acceptable colour…otherwise a typical snaffle bridle and your saddle will be fine!

You will also need to braid, so if your gelding has a long Arabian mane, have a plan as to how to braid it for showing.

www.usef.org

rules are here there is an extensive amount of info for you and horse. If you are going to show you need to take a look

conventional hunt attire is fine, jods or breeches with tall boots, hunt coat hard hat, gloves, black gloves are fine. Choker is fine, you dont have to wear a stock tie

a running braid is fine, braiding is optional in open USEF shows, A running braid most appropriate. No ribbons in mane or tail.

conventional simple snaffle, there are bit pictures, your saddle is fine.

Thank you for your guidance, Is the white saddle pad standard?
Can I wear field boots? I don’t have dress boots.
I can wear a hunt style coat? Do I need white Breeches?
Can wear a safety helmet instead of a hard hat, I think the changed the rules. Can anyone confirm?

Field boots are fine. I wear them (2nd level) because I have an old foot injury that makes it impossible for me to get into most dress boots. Hunt coats are fine at any level that doesn’t require a swallowtail. I’ve used black, cream and brown saddle pads, though white is more standard. What do you mean by “safety helmet?” It would have to be ASTM approved. If you mean “not velvet/velveteen standard helmet” but something like a Troxel green plastic one, that’s okay as long as it is approved.

From the USEF Rulebook:
Some portions (FEI, Jr, Para, spurs) removed for clarity.

The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots, and protective headgear as defined in DR120.5 and in compliance with GR801.

Riders through First Level may wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material.

1. At all test levels, riders may wear jackets in other colors within the international HSV color scale, as described in FEI Dressage Regulations, Art.

2. At any time while mounted on the competition grounds, all riders under age 18, all riders while on horses competing in national level tests, all riders competing in Para-Equestrian tests, and all riders while on non-competing horses, must wear protective headgear as defined by this rule and otherwise in compliance with GR801.

Protective headgear is defined as a riding helmet which meets or exceeds ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materi- als)/SEI (Safety Equipment Institute) standards for equestrian use and carries the SEI tag. The harness must be secured and properly fitted.

1. One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all classes except