Unlimited access >

Arabian sport horse classes (SHUS, SHSH) for dressage horses

I have a purebred Arab gelding I will start showing in dressage this summer. We are schooling first with a tiny (tiny) bit of second, and I plan to show in intro/training at schooling shows to start, but as it happens there is an Arabian sport horse show I’d like to go to as well and they will offer Sport Horse Under Saddle and Sport Horse Show Hack classes.

Any experiences/advice to share? Would it be more appropriate to enter one class or the other? My gelding has experience at Arabian shows, but I don’t. The last time I competed in an actual horse show of any kind was in college, and it was IHSA (so at least I have experience navigating through traffic!).

Thanks!

I showed in both (15 years ago) at some big shows for a season when I was riding some sale horses for a friend.

Back then, The hunters was a normal flat class in hunter tack. The horses were in a higher/rounder carriage than I expected, and generally the horses with a lot more knee action than I expected from a hunter pinned well.

The Show Hack class was fun. The horses went in dressage saddles and a double bridle. They called w/t/c in collection and extension, hand gallop, and I believe we had to halt and rein-back most of the time too.

The SHUS classes are very basic, rather like a hunter class but just in a dressage saddle. They are looking for good sport horse movement in all three gaits. This would be a great class to try and is perfectly appropriate for horses with training level training as long as they take a proper contact.

SHSH on the other hand, is for the FLASHY horses, who are ready to extend and collect in trot and canter, frequently riders will even wear shads for this class. It has been my experience that the FLASHY horses win these classes. For arabs you could read that as HOT. And yes, I have 2 arabs and we show arab circuit. But mine are NOT flashy enough to be competitive in this class. My new boy might be, evenetually.

[QUOTE=arabiansrock;8016571]
The SHUS classes are very basic, rather like a hunter class but just in a dressage saddle. They are looking for good sport horse movement in all three gaits. This would be a great class to try and is perfectly appropriate for horses with training level training as long as they take a proper contact.

SHSH on the other hand, is for the FLASHY horses, who are ready to extend and collect in trot and canter, frequently riders will even wear shads for this class. It has been my experience that the FLASHY horses win these classes. For arabs you could read that as HOT. And yes, I have 2 arabs and we show arab circuit. But mine are NOT flashy enough to be competitive in this class. My new boy might be, evenetually.[/QUOTE]

This. Although for show hack, MUCH depends on the judge. I’ve seen several go for correctness above all else.

I love, love, love the SHSH classes! Particularly because I feel it is geared more towards dressage horses. The SHUS classes can really be a crap shoot depending on the judge…Hunter vs. Dressage.

My horse is a SHSH region champion and reserve champion at Scottsdale this year and he is definitely not hot…far from it. He is calm, willing, and has the ability to lengthen and collect correctly. From what I can see, a lot of riders allow their horse to dump on the forehand in a lengthening, and get short and choppy in the collected gaits. In my experience judges want to see correctness above flashy. I ride my horse in a snaffle and a regular dressage coat since we are schooling third level I will wait to wear a shad.

Enter both classes and see which you prefer. They are a lot of fun!

[QUOTE=JLR1;8018538]
I love, love, love the SHSH classes! Particularly because I feel it is geared more towards dressage horses. The SHUS classes can really be a crap shoot depending on the judge…Hunter vs. Dressage.

My horse is a SHSH region champion and reserve champion at Scottsdale this year and he is definitely not hot…far from it. He is calm, willing, and has the ability to lengthen and collect correctly. From what I can see, a lot of riders allow their horse to dump on the forehand in a lengthening, and get short and choppy in the collected gaits. In my experience judges want to see correctness above flashy. I ride my horse in a snaffle and a regular dressage coat since we are schooling third level I will wait to wear a shad.

Enter both classes and see which you prefer. They are a lot of fun![/QUOTE]

Try everything and see what your horse decides! You might be surprised what happens. If there is no rule preventing you from entering whatever, just try it and have a good time.

SHSH looks like fun, but I am not sure we will manage true extension and collection at all of the gaits as we are now, if that matters. We can definitely do faster/slower. :slight_smile: SHUS looks like a definite yes. For this show I don’t really care how well we do (I am just happy to be showing) but I don’t want to waste anyone’s time by entering classes we don’t belong in.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=MelanieC;8018821]
SHSH looks like fun, but I am not sure we will manage true extension and collection at all of the gaits as we are now, if that matters. We can definitely do faster/slower. :slight_smile: SHUS looks like a definite yes. For this show I don’t really care how well we do (I am just happy to be showing) but I don’t want to waste anyone’s time by entering classes we don’t belong in.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Most don’t consider it a waste of time. I’ve seen people enter out here just to support the division.

[QUOTE=JLR1;8018538]

Enter both classes and see which you prefer. They are a lot of fun![/QUOTE]

Congratulations!!! Very, very cool!

Kind of related question - do you sit or post in this class? I did QH/Palomino breed showing growing up, so my similar class “Road Hack” was in a hunter saddle and posting. I’ve never been sure if you’re actually supposed to post in the Arab classes even if in a dressage saddle.

The one thing I was told last year when I tried SHUS, was to make sure you dressed your horse appropriately. So if it was “Dressage type” to put it in dressage tack and only braid the mane. Rider should be in a dressage outfit. Hunters on the other hand should have their mane and tail braided and be in hunter tack. Expect to be asked to rein back in the line up.

[QUOTE=netg;8019827]
Congratulations!!! Very, very cool!

Kind of related question - do you sit or post in this class? I did QH/Palomino breed showing growing up, so my similar class “Road Hack” was in a hunter saddle and posting. I’ve never been sure if you’re actually supposed to post in the Arab classes even if in a dressage saddle.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!:slight_smile: I can put my horse together better if I sit, so I stay sitting. However I see lots of people posting so I think people just do what’s best for their horse and themselves.

Thanks for the input. I have a friend who helps organize this show, so I’ll ask her what the entries for SHSH usually look like. If it’s big and competitive maybe we’ll stay out, but if it’s usually small and could use support, we’ll enter. What the hey.

You should post. Pretty much always. If you have a hunter judge who calls for a hand gallop you can sit it like an extended canter instead of going into a half seat.

I have a love/hate with SHUS. My half arab is 16.3, and saw the dummy trophy they use for pictures over the arena wall, which had suddenly appeared for the final, did a TINY little spook (literally, jumped off the wall a stride, then continued on) and the hunter judge didn’t place me at all. I’d been on the top of her card in both preliminary rounds. The dressage judge placed me first of course. If I’d even been 10th on her card I would have won the championship.

While the bitching is cathartic, it’s more to illustrate what others have been saying. You’re really at the mercy of the judges they pick. One year at nationals the judges were so divided that the only way you could win was to be mediocre on both cards.

My honest advice would be that if you’re doing first/second, don’t bother entering show hack, unless your horse did english pleasure before you got it. You either need to be flashy (saddle seat in dressage tack) or correct. Unless your horse has the training and strength to do all the gaits, you’re just going to be shooting yourself in the foot because it will be so incorrect if your goal is to move up the levels.

Resurrecting this thread to talk about the SHUS classes at an upcoming Arab show nearby. I happen to have an Arabian that I show at “regular” USEF/DF shows, and I thought it might be fun to take him to an another show, since it is so close.

I have Googled a few videos, but most seem to be from a while ago, as are any threads I could find on the COTH.

Anything I need to know? Do I need to wear a black/white conservative outfit? Or can I use the “way-out-there-for-dressage” modern outfit (that still fits within the USEF rules)?

Any other tips for showing in this class?

While the original basis of Show Hack was the British show classes such as one would see at the HOY show, it has morphed in its best form into group dressage and at its worst into some kind of quasi saddleseat class in a dressage saddle. As someone mentioned it depends on the judge…the horses have to show all paces both ways of the ring so you need a fit horse if it is a hot day and you are showing in a lot of other classes. I would think that anything within USEF guidelines would suffice and although the tradition was a top hat, you now see helmets almost universally, at least here in Canada. Have fun!

As long as it is dressage legal you should be fine

[QUOTE=goldenrow;8725786]
Resurrecting this thread to talk about the SHUS classes at an upcoming Arab show nearby. I happen to have an Arabian that I show at “regular” USEF/DF shows, and I thought it might be fun to take him to an another show, since it is so close.

I have Googled a few videos, but most seem to be from a while ago, as are any threads I could find on the COTH.

Anything I need to know? Do I need to wear a black/white conservative outfit? Or can I use the “way-out-there-for-dressage” modern outfit (that still fits within the USEF rules)?

Any other tips for showing in this class?[/QUOTE]

You will find everything in between. There are two types of people who do the SHUS classes. Those that show out in the open world but also do the breed shows so they will be dressed more in line with the modern popular style of clothing, and those that do main ring but want an extra ribbon or think their horse is a dressage/hunter type and they will be dressed in breed show style clothing.

There should be a hunter judge and a dressage judge and if you have a dressage horse you should go in a dressage frame.

I am not a fan of SHSH. It’s an unwieldy and very long class that has very little to do with dressage and is a class for high steppers and their riders in shadbellies to pretend to do collection. Personal opinion of course.

Going to have to disagree with you! SHSH at least here in a very competitive Region 7 (Scottsdale) is entered by horses primarily showing in dressage anywhere from second level on up. The classes are not a marathon as mentioned and are over in 10 minutes. I showed my purebred in a snaffle and a traditional jacket and was Region 7 champion a few years ago. He is also barefoot so is decidedly not a “high stepper”.

OP you can wear anything dressage legal you normally wear to the open shows. You will see the range from conservative to blingy…it’s up to you. I wouldn’t suggest a shadbelly unless you are showing PSG. Helmets are the norm although I think top hats are still allowed. Compared to dressage classes I actually love the stress free fun of a SHSH class. No test to memorize and no worries of going off course LOL.

Folks, there is a GIANT difference between sporthorse show hack and English show hack. The high stepper/saddleseat-types are English Show hack, and I do not know a single sporthorse judge who would use them. Sporthorse Show Hack is judged by a carded judge in either dressage or hunters (depending on the show). You can’t lump show hack classes together because there is such a giant difference. I think a lot of people do think of English show hack first, but the sporthorse is going to be looking for a more dressage-type frame, and correctness will prevail over flashy, animated movement that doesn’t truly collect and extend.

I’m the OP. In the show we went to last year I entered my gelding in SHUS but not SHSH. I would not enter the class again at that show simply because of the running of that particular show. We were supposed to be in ring before 6 PM, but actually started somewhere close to 10 PM, it wasn’t clear when warm-up was supposed to happen, and then when it happened it was a cavalry charge of all of the evening classes so there were probably 40+ horses in the ring going every which way, etc. We had spent hours waiting with me worrying, should I tack now, should I braid now, should I wait, did I have time to eat dinner… And then after all of that we spent maybe 15 seconds doing each gait. I was completely discombobulated and we did very poorly. The judge was way up somewhere in the stands and I didn’t even know where she was or what angles she was seeing, that said I was so fried by then that I wouldn’t have been able to strategize anyway.

Given that dressage times are specific and open shows are so much better organized, I probably won’t bother with rail classes again. If there were more Arabian sport horse shows nearby and they were better organized I’d register with AHA again and try again. It was fun to be at an all-Arab show where we didn’t get any side-eye from other competitors and my gelding at 15.3 was practically the tallest horse there. :slight_smile: