Unlimited access >

Arabian Sport Horse Under Saddle - Tack Question!

Hello everyone! So I just bought an Arabian mare last summer that I have been training for the sport horse classes, and next year will be our first year showing in the sport horse under saddle classes.

Right now I am riding her in dressage tack because that is all I have, but my trainer recommended I show her hunter type because she has a long neck with long swingy strides and is built a little downhill. I do not have an AP saddle that fits her right now, so would it be okay to use the dressage saddle but use a hunter bridle and be in hunter attire?

I would just be showing her in SHUS amateur classes at the qualifying/regional level, not nationals, and the classes are not split at those levels. Think I can get away with this or I would just confuse the judges as to what style my horse is? I don’t really have the budget to buy a new AP saddle right now.

Thanks in advance!! :slight_smile:

It is a bit more difficult to show off hunter movement in a dressage saddle but you can give it a go if you want, you won’t be penalized for it but may confuse a judge! I would suggest you either show in all dressage tack since that is what you have and ride her accordingly or borrow and ride her as she seems to want to go. (depending on where you live, SHUS at the regional level can be VERY competitive!)

The rules don’t prohibit it:

1. SPORT HORSE UNDER SADDLE CLASSES. Bridle shall be a dressage-type snaffle bridle with snaffle bit, or hunter-type snaffle or Pelham bridle is acceptable. In junior horse under saddle classes, snaffle bits are mandatory. Converters on Pelham bridle are not permitted and two reins are required. Snaffles may be with or without cheeks, keepers allowed. Unconventional bits may be penalized at the discretion of the judge, BUT kimberwicks and
    double bridles are prohibited. Cavesson nosebands are to be used, but flash nosebands would be acceptable when using a snaffle bridle with snaffle bit. Martingales are not permitted.
    A dressage, forward seat or English all purpose saddle is to be used. No saddle seat type saddles allowed. Girth may be leather or other suitable material. Horses wearing nonconforming appointments will be eliminated from judging consideration.
    a. Attire for Sport Horse Under Saddle will be either dressage or hunter attire.
    Dressage attire will be defined as white or light colored breeches, short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, boots, a hunt cap, derby, top hat or protective headgear. Hunter attire will be defined as light colored breeches, short riding coat of conservative color, with tie or choker, boots or smooth leather half-chaps, and hunt cap or protective headgear. It is recommended that attire reflect the appointments used on the horse.
    b. Gloves of conservative color are optional for either style of attire. Spurs and whip are optional. If a whip is used, it must be no longer than 43.3 inches or 110 cm including lash.

However, you will probably make a better impression if everything (saddle, bridle, attire) matches. Can you borrow a saddle from someone? Or give her a try dressage style and see how she does?

Thank you for the advice! I think I will try her dressage style (a dressage judge did say she was a lovely horse) unless I can find an AP saddle before then.

My horse and his rider go with his neck more forward and pay particular attention to riding every corner and maintaining tempo. They clean up - regional champions at 5 years old last year Sport Horse under Saddle and Training Level, and top 3 this year.

The young riders at the Arab shows switch tack and look great as sport horse hunter and dressage riders (scores in the 70’s and well deserved). The classes are well filled.

The shows are relaxed and fun, too.

I would stick with matching tack and clothing, it will look out of place otherwise. Then ride her the best way she goes and save money for a huntseat saddle if you feel she goes better tyat way.

[QUOTE=oldernewbie;8387236]
The rules don’t prohibit it:

1. SPORT HORSE UNDER SADDLE CLASSES. Bridle shall be a dressage-type snaffle bridle with snaffle bit, or hunter-type snaffle or Pelham bridle is acceptable. In junior horse under saddle classes, snaffle bits are mandatory. Converters on Pelham bridle are not permitted and two reins are required. Snaffles may be with or without cheeks, keepers allowed. Unconventional bits may be penalized at the discretion of the judge, BUT kimberwicks and
    double bridles are prohibited. Cavesson nosebands are to be used, but flash nosebands would be acceptable when using a snaffle bridle with snaffle bit. Martingales are not permitted.
    A dressage, forward seat or English all purpose saddle is to be used. No saddle seat type saddles allowed. Girth may be leather or other suitable material. Horses wearing nonconforming appointments will be eliminated from judging consideration.
    a. Attire for Sport Horse Under Saddle will be either dressage or hunter attire.
    Dressage attire will be defined as white or light colored breeches, short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, boots, a hunt cap, derby, top hat or protective headgear. Hunter attire will be defined as light colored breeches, short riding coat of conservative color, with tie or choker, boots or smooth leather half-chaps, and hunt cap or protective headgear. It is recommended that attire reflect the appointments used on the horse.
    b. Gloves of conservative color are optional for either style of attire. Spurs and whip are optional. If a whip is used, it must be no longer than 43.3 inches or 110 cm including lash.[/QUOTE]
    Interesting that dressage equipment and attire are mentioned first, before hunter. I agree that your tack should match, and I would go with the dressage tack and attire. I would non mix tack. The attire rules seem to be the same for both, other than no half chaps for dressage attire, so nothing to worry about there.