Unlimited access >

Arachnoiditis

Well we finally answered the question as to whether my leg pain was coming from my back or my hips. I was diagnosed with arachnoiditis via CT myelogram last week. I celebrated by going on a 3 hour trail ride the next day! I went to my pain doctor yesterday to formulate a new treatment plan and he said he has other patients with this condition but none of them just come walking into his office, they are wheelchair bound or use a cane. I credit my animals with the my mobility because I couldn’t just lay around and let them go hungry. I think we horseman just power through pain, often to our detriment but I think in this instance that mindset was helpful.
Anyone have any experience with this condition? If so do you have any advice?

1 Like

Wonderful that you have a diagnosis, even if a serious, worrisome one.

At least your doctors will have an idea how to start helping you.
Horses do so much for us, good that you could keep working with them.

Good luck forward.

1 Like

certainly new information to me. I think overall for all spine issues keeping fit, active and core strong is key. I know one rider, Beth Glosten MD, that gave up her work career to devote herself to Pilates and rider fitness. She has several books addressing issues and conditioning.

if this is a somewhat new issue for you, you might ask the doctor if there is any thought that this might be a presentation / after effect of Covid 19. Many reports of Cov19 having affinity for nerve tissue, particularly autonomic system

1 Like

No it isn’t new, it’s been years but that is an interesting thought. Thankfully I haven’t had COVID.

good that you got a diagnosis. That is so key in managing. I hope there is a reasonable therapy that can help. If they do suggest PT and exercises. I would encourage you to check out Beths books

1 Like

Yikes, that’s a new one for me too. I’m glad you have a diagnosis! Since you’re in Maryland too, PM me if you would like a recommendation for a manual physical therapist. Manual PT has helped me a lot with Lyme disease symptoms as well as TMJ, and this therapist grew up riding so she has a good perspective on that as well. She’s also a nutritionist and proper nutrition seems to be very important with managing some diseases. If she’s too far for you she may know someone closer. Good luck!!!

Not sure what you mean by a manual PT but am always open to suggestions. I have been in PT on and off for 15 years now and followed by therapist to 4 different companies so I obviously love him but he is pretty much stumped right now. He has never had a patient with this.

I always find it hard to explain but manual PT is less about you doing exercises and more about the therapist doing soft tissue work and mobilization/manipulation (much milder than chiro manipulations IME…there’s no popping and it doesn’t feel like much is happening but over time my symptoms have improved). Kind of like the difference between you doing lateral work or cavaletti or trot sets with your horse vs. the bodyworker doing soft tissue work, stretches, etc. :rofl: You typically see them less often, like once or twice a month rather than a couple times a week like a regular PT.

The manual PTs I’ve seen consider the whole body more than the traditional PTs, who focus more on sports medicine and the specific biomechanics of your issue. One of mine actually suggested I might have Lyme, which given my main symptom (crippling back pain) I doubt the doctors or regular PTs would ever have figured out.

1 Like

Have you tried acupuncture? I ask because my old gelding has fibrosis of his tendon sheath and DSLD and started laying down a lot and in lots of pain. I found online good reports of acupuncture with carpal tunnel patients in humans. Got him acupuncture and the result has been remarkable. Not only is he barely laying down but also bright eyed and has started trotting around a bit (not what I want). Worth a try.

Yes I have but not since I was diagnosed. It was ok, worth a shot for someone who hasn’t tried it yet.