Unlimited access >

Are all stock-horse stallions neck-sweated before taking photos and going to shows?

Someone posted a pic of a stallion on Facebook on a critique page, and I said I thought the stud had an unsightly neck (and head also). Just had no throat-latch to speak of and had a drafthorse size neck. So I posted a photo of an APHA stud that I thought had a nice neck and people pointed out that the photo was of a horse that had had its neck sweated, and that’s why it looked like that.

This is the original stallion that was posted:

Anyways,

so my question: How common is neck sweating for stock horse breeds? Do all stock horse stallions need their neck sweated to look like they have a nice neck? People are trying to tell me that a stud having a draft horse sized neck and no throatlatch is normal since he’s a stud but I want some professional opinions on this.

I would guess the practice of neck sweating may be more discipline based rather than breed based.

I work in the cutting horse industry and show reined cow horse, stock/ranch horse. Any trainer in those disciplines I’ve ridden for or ridden with doesn’t sweat necks.

Yikes! No amount of sweating will give that stallion a good neck.

To answer your question, I’ve never heard of any stock horses having their necks sweated except for ones being shown in halter. Most really don’t need it.

7 Likes

Stallions also look very different if they are alert and doing a bascule versus just standing in the field. And they can get fat like any horse. They can look like pudgy geldings :slight_smile:

To me this horse has a short neck and short hips and a long back though his color is spectacular. I would not seek out a horse with his conformation.

1 Like

I’ve seen it done with halter, pleasure, and hunt seat stallions. I have yet to see it in cutting, reining, or reined cow. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, but I’d bet its super rare. That horse could live in a sweat and it still won’t help his neck.

No. I would say in the reining, cutting, cowhorse etc, no one sweats their horses necks. And no amount of sweat and photo shop will give that horse a good neck or shoulder or anything besides color for that matter.
Sweating can be used to very slightly clean up a throat latch or top line but it does not make an exaggerated difference that would make me change my mind about a horse.

OP, whose stallion have you put up for an example here?

Also calf-kneed. I see that all the time and avoid it at all costs

Why are you asking?

You posted this thread three years ago and just now decided to come back?

5 Likes

Yes, why not?

That is what I was going to say!!