Unlimited access >

Are Curlin Babies Good Eventers?

I’m getting ready to start horse shopping and one of the horses my friend has for sale is by Curlin. There is a lot of information on his (and his gets) ability for racing, but I haven’t been able to find much information on how his foals do as sport horses. Does anyone have a Curlin baby or have familiarity with his line that could provide insight on if they make good eventers?

You might contact Retired Racehorse Project and ask that question. https://www.therrp.org
I know that in the past, they had collected information about retired OTTBs and their bloodlines and use/sports/performance after racing because I filled out the questionnaire on 2 or 3 of mine. Not sure whatever happened to that but it’s worth the question! I can tell you about my experiences with geldings from different bloodlines in terms of athleticism, temperament, etc. but not actual performance data.

1 Like

I would say yes, but every horse has a dam.

That being said I almost always liked the type from the Curlins I saw. Well put together, nice canters, and usually big and chestnut but not always. Absolutely nothing about Curlin or his offspring stick out as negative to me. He is a fantastic race horse sire in his own right.

1 Like

I am riding a Curlin granddaughter: https://www.pedigreequery.com/summer+quest3

This photo is a good representation: she is kind, willing, and easy-going. Only raced 3 times, finished last. When I bought her as a 3 year old straight off the track, my only requirements were: easy going temperament and won’t buck me off. She basically couldn’t turn right, but I was able to take her out on the trails immediately and she was so quiet and nice to ride. Still is.

She took to XC easily and is brave but not stupid with new questions. I’ve only gone up to the equivalent of BN (2’9") so far but that’s partly due to my own physical issues and work responsibilities. I’m sure she will do at least Training level. I also enjoy dressage lessons and she has received compliments from dressage coaches and judges about her gaits and trainability.

Her build is a bit downhill, and she’s not going to be a 5* horse or anything, but I’m having fun with her, enjoy going to the barn, and she is the easiest keeper TB I’ve ever had. Nickname is hungry hippo, partly because she loves water jumps :laughing:

25 Likes

I 100% agree that the dam line should also be considered. I didn’t mention her since her line has well known names that are already established in eventing. I hadn’t heard much about Curlin before though. I really appreciate you sharing your insight! Sounds like you’ve had the pleasure to know or interact with a few Curlin babies in the past.

…and yes, he’s a big chestnut :laughing: called it!

I love this! Thanks for sharing! You two look great, I love her eye and ears in that picture. Her nickname has me laughing! Since making this post originally I have actually gone ahead and bought the Curlin baby. He is such a cool dude. Very “go with the flow” kind of attitude and takes everything in stride. I haven’t ridden him yet (he needed some house keeping like a dental and shoes put back on), but will be starting him this weekend. I’m really excited about him!

3 Likes

That’s a good thought! I didn’t realize they did a questionnaire like that. It’s definitely worth asking for sure.

Congratulations! Sounds like you will have lots of fun with him!

1 Like